Choose style:

Author Topic: Thinking About It....  (Read 1001 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
Thinking About It....
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:56:38 pm »
So, I've noticed those Alienware Steam Machine prices are starting to really drop, no doubt stores are trying to reduce stock.  I've noticed the i7 model is especially low these days.  In fact, for an i7 quad core with 8GB RAM, a 1TB HDD and a GTX960, they're almost too good for this gamer to pass up.  Plus, that case is sexy.  So, I'm thinking about it.  I figure, if I don't like Debian based Steam OS, I can always dump it and put Peppermint on there with Steam set to start automatically in Big Picture mode.  I've read reviews and most of the issues people seem to have with them is an unfamiliarity with Linux and that their Steam libraries are mostly not Linux compatible.  Neither are issues for me.  ;)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 x64 (Main) and P8 x64(Laptop)
Re: Thinking About It....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 01:50:11 pm »
Go for it.     :D     Treat yourself. You know it will get a lot of good use.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P8 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
P8 x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 05:46:31 pm »
And surprise, surprise .. they aint as cheap over here ::)

Dell US  <-- link

Dell UK  <-- link

at current exchange rates 929.00 == $1158.94

As usual, we pay more in pounds than you do in dollars >:(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:52:05 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:23:42 pm »
Those aren't even the prices I was talking about.  Amazon has them really cheap, probably to reduce inventory.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 09:38:38 pm »
I'll bet Amazon.co.uk doesn't .. in fact I can't even be bothered to look, I already know the answer.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:26:31 am »
I'll bet Amazon.co.uk doesn't .. in fact I can't even be bothered to look, I already know the answer.

Heh !  Years ago, an Irish-American friend (and co-worker) traveled to the motherland - a life-long dream - to seek his family roots.

When he returned to the 'Great American Southwest', I'll never forget him telling me that he rented a car, to drive himself around Ireland, and everyone he visited thought he was rich, because the car had a radio in the dash. 

Pat told me, they taxed radios and TVs in Ireland - so much so, that only rich people could afford to own them.  He said, the government taxed everything there, even AFTER you bought them, e.g. taxed their usage.

Is that accurate, or was he BS'ing me ?  He seemed serious about it.

From the many comments you've made, I take it that they bend you guys over the counter, when you buy anything in the UK.

They practically pay YOU to take products off the shelves, here in the rebel colonies !    ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:37:36 am »
Can't talk for Ireland who are a separate country (only Northern Ireland) .. over here (UK) prior to 1971 if you had a radio capable of receiving BBC Radio you had to have a "Radio Licence" or a "TV Licence" (which included coverage for radios).

Since 71 they dropped the radio licence altogether .. you now don't require anything to use a radio, but you do however still require a TV licence (145.50 per year == $181.27) if you have a TV .. for this we get the BBC and ALL content (broadcast and online) so that's not too bad I guess, specially when we don't have to suffer commercials on the BBC.

It's simply the price of GOODS over here that are ridiculous, and VAT (which they had the cheek to call VALUE added tax) .. it's a mixture of taxes at every point, and companies simply knowing they can get away with higher profits and not giving us the same deals .. Hell even goods made over here are cheaper in the US, how the **** can that be right ::)

I do however gather most "services" are cheaper over here .. at least they **used** to be.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:41:13 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:40:41 am »
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the Steam Machine.  (got my Federal income tax return today)  $456 + $8.42 shipping.  That's for the i7 machine with 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD.  :o  I couldn't pass up that offer.  It's coming from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, so no two day shipping, but I'm over that.  That's less than the $484 + free Prime shipping one that is now on backorder.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:22:27 pm »
You just had to rub it in didn't you :(

[EDIT]

Good god...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alienware-Machine-Generation-Processor-Electronic/dp/B0185R5E7I
Now that does surprise me :o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:26:32 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 12:31:03 pm »
See?  People are trying to get rid of them.  I'm willing to take advantage of people trying to reduce stock.  That's how I wound up with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Generations-Console-Black-Retro-Games/dp/B01M3MXULZ/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1487870974&sr=1-3&keywords=retro-bit

I got mine even cheaper than that, just a little over 50% of the list price.  I figured, for that price, how bad could it be?  Answer: Not bad at all.  Most of the people who have issues with it aren't using the correct settings, with the exception of the game that's literally sideways.  ::)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:48:39 pm »
Comparative price:  The cheapest new tower I could find with an i7, 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD and Nvidia graphics was another Dell and it's $577.  (I only searched on Amazon)  And it sure doesn't have a GTX960, it has a GT730.  The best I can find with a more modern Nvidia GPU is a CybertronPC with a GTX1050 for $899.99.  And, of course, on both of those, you have to put up with Windows 10 or switch to something else.  ::)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 02:35:33 am »
Well, here it is in all its beautiful glory:

I got the little beastie today, before having to go to work, of course.  But, that was good as it had to be signed for, which was also good, as I don't live in the type of neighborhood where I want to leave a $450+ computer sitting outside.  Hooked it up, booted it up, updated Steam and the controller stopped working.  ::)  But, I was prepared for this.  Anyway, after work I got the controller issue sorted and updated the OS itself.  Anyway, there were a few other settings things to sort out, but I have it where I want it.  Funny, in all the years I've been using Linux, this is the first computer I've bought with it preinstalled.

I've downloaded a few of my games, but it will take some time to download my entire library of 60+ Linux compatible games.  Plus, the machine itself came with a few games.  I'm really looking forward to playing a few of my more graphically intense games, to really push the hardware to the limit.  I already downloaded Borderlands 2 and I plan to download Shadow Warrior and Ark: Survival Evolved after I get some sleep, those will both push the hardware, especially Ark.  But, all of that will wait until I get some shut-eye.

One thing I'm not overly enthusiastic about is the controller, but since I already had one, I knew it wasn't the best.  It works great for some games, but there are issues with others, particularly shooters.  But, I can always use my wired XBOX 360 controller if I need to.  Even without the controller, this machine was totally worth the money.  Plus, I also bought a Logitech wireless keyboard with a trackpad built in, for games that won't work with controllers.  I bought that at work, only $20 on rollback.  8)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 06:07:18 am »
Nice !

Last time I built a game machine was a decade ago.  Just don't have time to play games, these days.

What are you running for a monitor ?

Games look great on this 29-inch Dell Ultra-Wide (effectively replaces two 19-inch monitors).

I don't have any games installed - but it's fun to watch them on Youtube in 21:9 HD.   :D

Example: 

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 10:28:42 am »
What are you running for a monitor ?

I've got it hooked up to my TV, a Sharp Aquos 32-inch 720p HDTV.  It's the same TV I use for all my consoles.   8)

SteamOS is designed to work very well on HDTVs, it basically runs Steam in Big Picture mode by default.  Though, I did find out how to drop down to the Linux desktop, should the need arise.  It will, when I want to install non Steam games onto the machine.  :)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 x64 (Main) and P8 x64(Laptop)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 12:06:45 pm »
Very Very Cool    8) 8) 8)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P8 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
P8 x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6" HD 1920x1080