Choose style:

Author Topic: About Updates [Solved]  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
About Updates [Solved]
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:03:00 pm »
hello,
so i keep getting new update notifications (shield icon on the bottom left part of the screen) but i don't now if i should install them all or if i risk having some compatibilites/performances/crash issues (there are many many of them, accumulating everyday xD )

also, i just checked the options in the update mmanager and i see that i'm actually using the 4.4.0-53 version of linux kernel, should i install a more recent version ? (it says that it's responsible for graphical environement and i had issues with the installation of my AMD graphic card driver so maybe it could solve the problem having the 4.8.0-36 kernel version? just speculations here xD )

thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:25:14 pm by Ly »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: About Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:08:17 pm »
Peppermints advice is to accept all updates .. that's why they are enabled by default ;)
(that said .. it's your system so do whatever you want)

As for the kernel .. Stick to the automatic updates .. if you manually install 4.8 you won't get automatic updates and security patches for it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:10:39 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 04:14:20 pm »
ok,thank you very much for the quick help.
One last question tough , how can i see what graphic card driver am i currently using on Peppermint?  i had issues installing my ADM graphic card's driver, i don't know if there is an auto-detect method for Linux similar to windows but i just can't get it to work :(
also there is something that intrigues me, i actually managed to launch a 3D game (using Wine) on Peppermint even if i don't have my graphic card's driver installed, how could this happen if Peppermint doesn't use the Gpu driver?

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:33:22 pm »
Code: [Select]
sudo lshw -C video
or
inxi -G
or
lspci | grep VGA

cheers
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:56:17 pm by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 03:16:51 am »
One last question tough , how can i see what graphic card driver am i currently using on Peppermint?  i had issues installing my ADM graphic card's driver, i don't know if there is an auto-detect method for Linux similar to windows but i just can't get it to work :(
also there is something that intrigues me, i actually managed to launch a 3D game (using Wine) on Peppermint even if i don't have my graphic card's driver installed, how could this happen if Peppermint doesn't use the Gpu driver?

Hi Ly,

How did you install (or try to install) the AMD driver? What problems did you have? What were the error messages? The more information you supply, the better will be the assistance you get from the forum.  ;)

And finally: how do you know that the AMD driver is not installed if you do not even know how to see which driver is being used?  :-\

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 05:46:07 am »
here are the results of the 2 commands
 inxi -G
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8730M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0

lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8730M] (rev ff)

Hi Ly,

How did you install (or try to install) the AMD driver? What problems did you have? What were the error messages? The more information you supply, the better will be the assistance you get from the forum.  ;)

And finally: how do you know that the AMD driver is not installed if you do not even know how to see which driver is being used?  :-\

Regards,

-- Slim

i tried ton install my driver by downloading a package containing the driver for it and i searched on the internet on how to install it via the command line but it didn't work (i don't remember exactly what was the error that shows on my terminal screen, i did about 2-3 months ago xD)

as for how i know that my drivers are not installed, i feel that weird sansation when i scroll down the page browser (just like when i installed windows before having my gpu driver installed, i feel that the scrolling is not fluent so i taught maybe the driver is not working, but i'm not really sure of that)

Offline ColonelPanic

• nOOb
    • View Profile
    • Linux Linx 2016
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 09:29:23 am »
Quote from https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-peppermint
For an AMD/ATI video card you have to stick to the default open source driver. Because the closed AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers are not compatible with Peppermint 7.
The problem being that AMD is not maintaining their drivers. Supposedly, they have a plan in place to update their AMD drivers... someday...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:31:30 am by ColonelPanic »
AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 10:10:01 am »
Quote from https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-peppermint
For an AMD/ATI video card you have to stick to the default open source driver. Because the closed AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers are not compatible with Peppermint 7.
The problem being that AMD is not maintaining their drivers. Supposedly, they have a plan in place to update their AMD drivers... someday...

So from what i red Peppermint OS 7 have uncluded open source drivers for AMD and i don't need to install one for one for now.
thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:14:43 am by Ly »