Choose style:

Author Topic: Updates and potential threats  (Read 828 times)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 44, Vienna
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Updates and potential threats
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:48:09 pm »
I know very little about the inner workings of the OS, so I have been wondering: How would an attacker or a virus use a vulnerabilty in a program on a Linux computer that has not been fixed by an update yet?

A few days ago, I followed a discussion among people who were trying out Manjaro. Some reported that after a few days an update broke their system. To me, it seemed unnecessary to update a desktop pc every day.

Given the following scenario: A pc at home with Peppermint OS behind a router and with a firewall that blocks incoming connections. If no updates were made, how long would it take until the system would be damaged? What would be the most probable threats?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:50:30 pm by Fritz74 »

Pjotr

Re: Updates and potential threats
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 05:53:47 pm »
Most likely scenario would be: a rogue website or attack code in ads exploiting weaknesses by means of your web browser. Time until this happens: unknown.

You don't get security updates for nothing. Always install them rightaway. As Peppermint uses an LTS version of Ubuntu as codebase, the risk of regressions caused by updates is small.

Sidenote: that regression risk could even be made smaller if Peppermint would support the update policy feature of Update Manager, but that's currently not the case (yet?).   :P
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:58:39 pm by Pjotr »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 11:47:44 am »
Not biting Pjotr .. We need a <shakes head in exasperated dissent> smiley :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Fritz74

• m, 44, Vienna
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 12:10:27 pm »
@Pjotr: Thank you for the answer! It would be a funny experiment, testing how long it takes until some bad things happen.

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 05:44:28 pm »
Well assuming the attacker doesn't know your local ip and public ip, i think it would take quite a while. Because often the weakest part of security is the user, and if you were leaving a Linux box alone for extended time, on or not. It's not calling Microsoft and the NSA, so its not really doing anything. Like mentioned earlier, you'd have to be using outdated software, and be actively misclicking and going on infected/malicious sites and letting them run malicious javascript on you.
"I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !"
~VinDSL March 07, 2017