Choose style:

Author Topic: Steam Controller lacking support in Peppermint? Not a statement, a question.  (Read 2124 times)

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
To my surprise, the Steam Controller does not work out of the box like it did for me in other Ubuntu based distros,

A valve employee details it on a post I found, but I believe in forums without links(sketchy or not, pasting the info is better)

"The controller is fully supported on Linux without needing a kernel driver, but Steam needs proper read-write access to the HID device nodes it exposes in order to program it. We are working with distributions to make sure the necessary access is provided out of the box, but this might not currently be the case depending on your distribution of choice. Here are the rules needed for proper use of the controller:"

There is a fix listed, but i'm not sure how to apply it, or if it will indeed make the home button, and big picture mode start working for me in peppermint 7, I figured it would be good to create a thread trying to resolve these steam controller hardware issues. 8)

I've never been so impressed with a Distro, lets try and Iron these problems out and maybe the fixes we find will be included in new releases of Peppermint, because as it stands. STEAM WITH A STEAM CONTROLLER IS BROKEN IN PEPPERMINT 7

<im just putting the fix and the whole thing the valve employee said in their thread, in case you wanna look thru it and verify if it will fix the problems>

Linux-specific notes and known issues

Rules updated; update necessary for compatibility with Steam builds newer than 11/22!

The controller is fully supported on Linux without needing a kernel driver, but Steam needs proper read-write access to the HID device nodes it exposes in order to program it. We are working with distributions to make sure the necessary access is provided out of the box, but this might not currently be the case depending on your distribution of choice. Here are the rules needed for proper use of the controller:

# This rule is needed for basic functionality of the controller in Steam and keyboard/mouse emulation
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="28de", MODE="0666"

# This rule is necessary for gamepad emulation; make sure you replace 'pgriffais' with a group that the user that runs Steam belongs to
KERNEL=="uinput", MODE="0660", GROUP="pgriffais", OPTIONS+="static_node=uinput"

# Valve HID devices over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="28de", MODE="0666"

# Valve HID devices over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*28DE:*", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="05c4", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 wireless adapter over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0ba0", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Slim over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="09cc", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*054C:05C4*", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Slim over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*054C:09CC*", MODE="0666"

Please note: Make sure you donít have older rules that are taking priority. If there are both /lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules AND /etc/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules, one of the two will take priority and the edits will be ignored. Check that you only have one before putting the content of the rules file in and fixing the group name.

Bootloader firmware updates

Regular firmware updates will go through regular USB hid reports and can be performed wired or wirelessly. We'll also sometimes be releasing infrequent bootloader updates; these updates are different and can only work when wired. When Steam asks you to plug in the controller to start the update, the controller will change from a HID device to a mass storage device with an identifier of 'CRP DISABLED'. Steam will then wait for that device to become mounted somewhere so that it can copy the firmware file into the controller. A lot of distributions don't auto-mount mass storage devices by default, meaning you'll most likely have to go click on the volume in your file manager of choice when Steam is waiting for the volume to get mounted, or mount it manually where Steam can write to it.
"I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !"
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Try this:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install python3-autopilot
then:
sudo pluma /lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules
when a BLANK file opens, make it read:-
# This rule is needed for basic functionality of the controller in Steam and keyboard/mouse emulation
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="28de", MODE="0666"

# This rule is necessary for gamepad emulation; make sure you replace 'pgriffais' with a group that the user that runs Steam belongs to
KERNEL=="uinput", MODE="0660", GROUP="pgriffais", OPTIONS+="static_node=uinput"

# Valve HID devices over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="28de", MODE="0666"

# Valve HID devices over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*28DE:*", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="05c4", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 wireless adapter over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0ba0", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Slim over USB hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="09cc", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*054C:05C4*", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Slim over bluetooth hidraw
KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*054C:09CC*", MODE="0666"
SAVE the file, and REBOOT.

Now see if your Steam controller works.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:22:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Mine worked with no major issues, then it stopped working after a time.  I thought maybe it was due to me installing another controller using the generic joystick program, but it could have been a number of things.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
I haven't used my Steam controller in ages.  I didn't know there was a problem  :-[.  Sure enough, it didn't work.  I've run Mark's solution and low and behold.  It's sprung back into life - nice one  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
I haven't used my Steam controller in ages.  I didn't know there was a problem  :-[.  Sure enough, it didn't work.  I've run Mark's solution and low and behold.  It's sprung back into life - nice one  ;).

I think an update probably borked it.  I'd thought it was that other controller I installed, until I saw this thread.  I haven't tried it (yet) to see if it works but, knowing Mark, I'm sure it does.  :)

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
BTW, Welcome to the forum,  kimbopeppermint.   ;D

cheers
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I left Linux Mint and Ubuntu for peppermint because I knew the forums and community was more active and helpful, but this is going above and beyond! I'll try the fix, thanks a lot guys <3 <3 :-*
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
Is "Mark" PcNetSpec? I got kinda lost when you said i tried Mark's fix
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
We've got a whole bunch of Marks around here but, yeah, PCNetSpec is one  of them.   Great guy, but don't tell him where you heard that!   ;)

cheers
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
LOL .. I heard ya :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
HEADS UP GUYS: check my thread in gaming on linux, Steam had a huge vulnerability, or should i say 3! All The While they did not notify any users that their accounts were at risk on this day. No email, no notification, nothing. Shameful really. Please check my post and follow the steps at the end, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS AND DEAUTH ALL DEVICES. THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT THIS IS ALL WE CAN DO ABOUT IT!
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
how would this fix work on other distros?

my idea is replace pluma with gedit?

sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
how would this fix work on other distros?

my idea is replace pluma with gedit?

sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules

Sorry, I'm not understand this.  How is changing the text editor going to fix this in other distros  :-\?   We used to use Gedit.  We changed it to Pluma because the interface on the latest version of Gedit is hideous  >:(.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
If you mean in other Ubuntu 16.04 based distros that have gedit instead of pluma as the text editor .. yeah.

If you mean in non Ubuntu based distros .. dunno.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
I'm strictly speaking of Ubuntu based, as I have another install which has hardware that Zorin OS supports that Peppermint OS doesn't so well, but the fix doesn't work on the Zorin OS machine. Any ideas? I think they are both based on 16.04 or 16.10
~VinDSL March 07, 2017