Author Topic: CD DVD RW drives  (Read 1786 times)

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
CD DVD RW drives
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:22:08 pm »
Do you all even use one anymore? I just looked up the CD-RW drive that was in the Antec build, only to be reminded it was made in 2003... https://www.cnet.com/products/tdk-velocd/review/ Yeah it was 52x and new ones seem to be back to 24x...  :-\ 

Part of me wants to get a serial>sata connector converter and just reinstall it in order to continue ripping my own extensive cd collection. 

Then part of me wonders if linux would even have the drivers for it?
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: CD DVD RW drives
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:04:32 pm »
Those drives are plug and play, you shouldn't even need drivers for it.  It should just work

As for using them, I still do on very rare occasions.  I wanted to put one of my CDs onto my phone, so I ripped it to .mp3 files with Asunder a few weeks ago and transferred the files to my phone.  I also have a comic collection on DVD-Rom that I like to read stuff off of, that sort of thing.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:21:17 pm »
I haven't used an optical drive in years .. they went the way of the floppy for me and are just too limiting these days.

I'm now all USB and streaming from a NAS.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:23:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:42:58 pm »
I have a couple of old machines that don't support booting from usb so I use cd/dvd to install "light" Linux offerings to see what will run on ancient hardware and what won't when I'm in the mood.  I also use the optical drive to install tax preparation software and to view old photos I have on my collection of pre-coster plastic disks until I get the time / take the time to copy them to other media.  I have an external DVD drive to use on computers that didn't or don't come with one.  So, those of us who are stuck with what we have or just can't seem to throw anything away, optical drives still serve a purpose.  However, as one very wise man once said...
they went the way of the floppy [for me] and are just too limiting these days

cheers
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:41:40 am »
I recently tried to use the optical drive in my 4.5-year-old HP Pavilion and remembered that I hate laptop DVD drives. It makes that hellish sound when it spins, and struggles to rip the last part of a CD without errors. I think there's a USB burner somewhere that I might have to hook up if I'm going to be using those discs.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:48:09 am »
I haven't used an optical drive in years .. they went the way of the floppy for me and are just too limiting these days.

I'm now all USB and streaming from a NAS.

I was trying something the other day that had a .iso file larger than 4GB, so it wouldn't fit on my SanDisk Cruzer USB stick, which is my go-to when it comes to testing and installing Linux.  So, I burnt it to a DVD-RW.  You really do forget just how incredibly slow those burn until you do it again.  Plus, DVDs always take longer to boot, due to the read speed being slower than a flash drive.  So, it's USB whenever I can get by with it.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVII, PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:57:58 am »
Thanks for the input one and all. I think Mac hit it on the head with the line about those of us who "just can't seem to throw anything away"... I've been good this year about clearing out old tech laying around my office. I've ordered a conversion dongle which will allow me to install the '03 cd/rw drive. I still have delusions that I'll rip my wall of music cd's in my spare time.
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:39:31 am »
I dont use optical drives much but like Marc I mostly use USB or stream from my NAS but only  last week I compiled video of my friends daughters wedding and gave it to her as a DVD, I could have give to her on a USB stick or an sd card but that didn't seem right, presenting it as a DVD seems more like a gift so I would say they still have their uses

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 05:01:33 pm »
All USB, SDCards and streaming, still have a USB floppy drive which comes in real handy for vintage computing tech.
Sometimes wish I still had my iomega zip drive  :(

I've had that many blank CD's, I used them are as coasters to sit my beer on, bird scarers for the garden and christmas tree decorations.
Thats what I think of CD/DVD drives!  :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:03:38 pm by acer »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 01:45:56 am »
I've an eSATA CD/DVD reader and writer for my Dell Latitude e6410.  I took the optical drive out of the Dell and installed a second hard drive in its place.  The eSATA drive works really well.  Here in Amsterdam, there are loads of places to pick up quality second hand music CDs.  They're generally peanuts to buy.  The eSATA CD/DVD reader and writer in combination with asunder is ideal.  The CDs either end up in a box in the attic or in a charity shop.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.