Author Topic: Internal Wi-Fi suddenly broke  (Read 1290 times)

Offline stefanreich

• Bot maker
    • View Profile
    • Custom chat bots
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Internal Wi-Fi suddenly broke
« on: February 04, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »
Hello there, I'm happily using Peppermint 7  :D

However, what's weird is that the internal Wi-Fi adapter of my brand-new HP ba043ng stopped working.

I can connect to the WLAN and get an IP address - but I can ping nothing (not even the gateway) and get no DNS answers.

This used to work, actually. Now I have to use a USB Wi-Fi adapter which I would like to get rid of.

I make the best AI ever. https://BotCompany.de

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Internal Wi-Fi suddenly broke
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:12:09 am »
Have you tried deleting the wireless profile and recreating it ?
and/or
Rebooting your router ?
and/or
Booting an earlier kernel ?

What's the output from:
Code: [Select]
sudo lshw -C networkand
lspci -vnn | grep -i netand
iwconfigand
ifconfigand
sudo rfkill listand
sudo iwlist scan
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
Re: Internal Wi-Fi suddenly broke
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:23:34 am »
I have had similar problems to this in Peppermint, the answer is among PCNetSpec's, it's often the specific Linux Kernel you're running,

try uname -r

it should say your peppermint is on 4.4 or so, sometimes these kernels are, well, a little new, and a lot broken(in my experience), they have a lot of improvements, don't get me  wrong, but this is why many distros pack kernels under even 4.0, you probably would have no problems with the internal card on another kernel, or if you have dual boot your Win should still work with the internal wifi. Chances are your wifi didn't actually die, it's just having software issues. I don't know about Peppermint, but Manjaro lets you change kernels with the manjaro settings manager, if you want to keep using your internal card, you'll have to try something from PcNetSpec's solutions or find a similar solution to Manjaro's that lets you change your kernel easily, and without sending the whole install into Oblivion. Since Peppermint is Ubuntu based, you should be able to find a solution somewhere out there to change your kernel with a GUI.

Best of luck!
Kimbo
"I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !"
~VinDSL March 07, 2017