Choose style:

Author Topic: R.I.P. Netscape  (Read 785 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
R.I.P. Netscape
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:12:19 pm »
I was a Netscape user from the moment we bought our first computer. Netscape 3.0 Gold I believe it was... So this has been in my calendar for a while:

"Please observe a moment of silence for the Netscape browser. Netscape Navigator, the browser that launched the commercial Internet in October 1994, will die on February 1, 2008. AOL, which acquired Netscape in November 1998 for $4.2 billion, will announce today that they will discontinue development of the browser, currently on version 9.

http://www.poynter.org/2014/today-in-media-history-the-first-commercial-web-browser-netscape-navigator-is-released-in-1994/274065/

http://home.mcom.com/info/newsrelease.html

I followed along as Netscape became Seamonkey... then as things devolved after SM 1.5 or so I followed the trails of Firebug/bird/Phoenix then finally Firefox... played with Thunderbird... but now am firmly a Seamonkey user... I am really enjoying the latest nightlies' speed... just thought the above was an interesting bit of www trivia... 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:35:02 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Re: R.I.P. Netscape
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:35:52 am »
Hi spence,

Yes, I too was a Netscape fan from back then (whenever that was -- I can barely remember it any longer  :P ).

BTW, nice to see that you finally updated your picture! Is that you or your partner? Or was the old one you or your partner?  :-\ Whatever ... it's cool  :D

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:20:42 pm »
Loved me some Netscape.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:44:15 pm »
Hi spence,

Yes, I too was a Netscape fan from back then (whenever that was -- I can barely remember it any longer  :P ).

We went online with a brand spanking new computer in '96 came with 3.0 gold installed... does seem eons ago, or like yesterday... Netscape was still a newly birthed phenomenon having arrived online October of '94... Dad yapped a lot about gopher & Mosaic, but I never used either.

BTW, nice to see that you finally updated your picture! Is that you or your partner? Or was the old one you or your partner?  :-\ Whatever ... it's cool  :D

that's me, from a few months back... I am unused to using my real photo online... but well... #Bqhatevwr
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.