Choose style:

Author Topic: Vivaldi  (Read 5403 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Vivaldi
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »
NO .. don't do that, those instructions SWAP Chrome support to Vivaldi (You loose Chrome support) .. I have one that ADDS Vivaldi support.

I'll post it in a bit.

You added an edit at the bottom of the post that just added Vivaldi to the list of browsers, not replacing Chrome - works a treat too :).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 06:19:00 pm »
Holy Moly Batman!  There's a box of Capt'N Crunch in your future.....keep a check down at the collection.  Ha!   :D
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 06:28:27 pm »
NO .. don't do that, those instructions SWAP Chrome support to Vivaldi (You loose Chrome support) .. I have one that ADDS Vivaldi support.

I'll post it in a bit.

You added an edit at the bottom of the post that just added Vivaldi to the list of browsers, not replacing Chrome - works a treat too :).

Oops .. so I did :-[

Thanks Andy.

Quote from: mac
Holy Moly Batman!  There's a box of Capt'N Crunch in your future.....keep a check down at the collection.  Ha!   :D

Might just hold you to that Robin :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 06:39:01 pm »
I have a version of ICE that supports Vivaldi (and still FF, Chromium, Chrome) if you're interested mac ?

Got one for Brave yet ?  I need the space ...

j/k  -  All I use Brave for is printing coupons.  Don't ask me why.  I dunno.   :-\

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:41:41 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 08:42:35 pm »
Good, because brave doesn't honour the "--app" option .. and I can't be bothered to write a whole new script messin with it's configs like we had to do for FF :D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 10:30:45 pm »
Just as well.  Brave freaks me out, at some level.

It's too pretty, or something.

Can't put a finger on it ...

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 07:22:33 am »
Hi VinDSL,

You have to be brave to use Brave.  Brave browser lasted on my computer about 10 minutes.  I couldn't do anything with it.  The browser for us to keep our eyes on is Epic browser, but right now it does not support Linux.  There's still Iridium browser.  They're decent enough to warn us about the lag time between a Chromium to Iridium release.

Our ambition is to get builds for Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, fedora, Windows and OS-X a couple of days after a new release of Chromium.
To achieve this, we need help from individuals and organisations, who have the same intention. Currently there are weeks between a new release of Iridium and Chromium.
Please take this into consideration for your personal usage of the browser as you might be at risk when surfing unknown and potentially dangerous websites!
We feel, that as an application browser or as browser for trusted websites, this is acceptable.

Sometimes I wonder if the extensions we use are all they're cracked up to be. (Epic browser is not a big fan of extensions.)  A lot of these privacy oriented extensions can "read and change all the data on the websites you visit" (which is the same definition as spyware) the way that the browser did before.  Seems to me we're just just handing our data over from one company to another.  At the end of the day we have to trust that these companies that focus on extensions are genuinely working in our best interest.

This is a dated article about Chrome and our privacy, but the info contained within it is still valid, I believe.  Even though I only use one computer, I use the sync feature in Chromium and Chrome.  I really should be encrypting all my data across Google's servers but it's just a pain in the neck so I don't do it.  The other things we could do is to not save bookmarks, not use Gmail, etc. 

I get one medically related email from the UK each month.  I learn more from that email than from anything here in the States.  Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I, or perhaps a family member, has a medical condition.  Now, Google has that info.  Now if Uncle Sam has that info too, he sure hasn't shown me that he cares about it.  So there probably a profile on each of us somewhere.  But there's just too much data out there for it to be very important.  As an example I"ll guess that PCNetSpec, AndyInMokum, and murraymint probably drink tea --maybe throughout the day.  And they can probably guess that you, mac, rjm65, and I start our days with some coffee.  (Other than myself, I have no idea if any of this is really so.) Yeah, this data would be interesting, but does it matter?  I don't know.  I think we're swamped in data that doesn't really mean a whole heck of a lot.  I know it's a human right to have privacy, and I want more of it and not less, but a lot of this data is just plain useless for anything other than advertisements and sales.  I mention Yandex, I'll be looking at Russian dating services tomorrow in Peppermint.  I mention mac and I get offers for McDonald's coupons.  I mention tea, and I hope to see a reasonable offer on some Earl Grey tea soon --Twinings I might add!

I mentioned the price of printer ink recently in our forum and I got an advertisement from inkfarm.com the other day.  But, I'd still look on Amazon too, and emegra has suggested --and maybe even Ebay!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:28:43 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 08:38:21 am »
It might be interesting to do a comparison....

As a Firefox user I can't say that I've noticed simply posting content on say this forum changes my adverts (maybe a Chromium based browser thing ?) .. Google searches (and if I actually click an advert out of curiosity) is a completely different matter though .. I VERY quickly learned NOT to be curious and click an advert, as similar adverts then follow you for AGES ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:52:22 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 10:30:35 am »
I think we're swamped in data that doesn't really mean a whole heck of a lot
True 'dat, Perk.    ;)

cheers
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 10:36:12 am »
It might be interesting to do a comparison....

As a Firefox user I can't say that I've noticed simply posting content on say this forum changes my adverts (maybe a Chromium based browser thing ?) .. Google searches (and if I actually click an advert out of curiosity) is a completely different matter though .. I VERY quickly learned NOT to be curious and click an advert, as similar adverts then follow you for AGES ::)
I have noticed that watching anything on YouTube brings an onslaught of ads about whatever "they" think is related.   The same thing, of course, with searches.  You can bet you're always being "watched."   They know what you did last summer.  Ha!
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 12:42:15 pm »
I just encrypted all our data in Google with my sync password.  The message reads:

All data was encrypted with my sync password on January 31, 2017

It was quite simple to do.  I'm also down to one extension now --LastPass.  Blocking third-party cookies, encrypting our data, sending a "Do Not Track" request (which may or not be honored), using Safe Browsing Protection, not allowing sites to track our physical location, not allowing sites to use a plugin to access our computer, turning off MIDI devices to control aspects of our computer, using Chromium browser along with using Cisco's FamilySafe DNS and DNSCrypt behind a NAT and a software firewall, ought to be protection enough for any ordinary Joe and Jane using Peppermint. 

Phew!  ::)

Thanks, mac, for this thread.  It sure got me thinking this morning.  :)

perknh
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:58:23 pm by perknh »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 12:53:53 pm »
Thanks, mac, for this thread.  It sure got me thinking this morning.  :)
perknh
Oh my!  Sorry to hear that, Perk.  If you're like me that hurts   :D

cheers
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 04:19:03 pm »
Oh my!  Sorry to hear that, Perk.  If you're like me that hurts   :D

I am!  Both the brain AND the body hurt in the morning.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 10:12:09 am »
Vivaldi support has now been added to ICE via an update .. as long as you have ICE version 5.2.4 you should be able to select Vivaldi as the backend for newly created SSB's (as log as you have Vivaldi installed, or the option will be greyed).

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 10:31:08 pm »
I found it to be a little too welcoming to JavaScript and lacking the features of Chromium such as built in script blocking and whitelisting.
"I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !"
~VinDSL March 07, 2017