Choose style:

Author Topic: Clickety click  (Read 1363 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Clickety click
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 09:58:06 pm »
I must admit plasma 5 is a HUGE improvement over 4, and like you I **want** to like it .. but in the end I always find myself going through these three expressions :-\ ::) >:( .. then return to LXDE or Xfce.

It's "pretty" (at least OOTB (but breeze is about the only decent comprehensive theme), it's ultimately configurable (too much so .. which I never thought I'd say), but at the end of the day it just drives me up the wall after a short while.

My biggest gripe (or at least one of them) is the stupid themeing structure, I can't make any sense of it, as usual theme options in the UI are hugely plentiful (if ridiculously spread out and hard to understand), but you try even attempting to find where the theme components are stored or how they all bolt together :-\ ::) >:(

It 'feels' as though they they intentionally went out of their way to make it opaque .. I dunno maybe I'm just being thick and can't see the wood for the trees (a problem I have a lot with KDE)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:04:03 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline esjay

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 05:51:32 am »
I have tested Plasma 5.12 out of curiosity and I must say that it is a huge step forward. It is snappy, good looking, rich in features and the team has done a splendid job to trim the RAM usage and to boot up the system way faster than before. It starts with just about 360mb and with one tab in Chromium the system consumes another 200mb more. The boot is very fast, just a few seconds more in comparison to XFCE.

It is a matter of taste and I can understand that it is the most popular DE right now. My problem with KDE is that I do not think it is very intuitive. A lot of informations everywhere, a lot to be asked to understand each feature. In my experience it is stable, but other DEs  do offer this as well with less time to be invested to understand the desktop.

At the end it comes to the final two questions: 1. What do I really need? 2. Many, many dependencies and background services - is it ideal for stability purposes?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 08:39:52 am »
What esjay said +!

I like it (except for the theming thing), but it's tooooooo  much.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec