Choose style:

Author Topic: Can the OS kill HDD?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Bourbon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 20161201-i386
Can the OS kill HDD?
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:28:25 am »
Hi All,

I explain my question: I have been installing Peppermint 7 64 bit on a desktop machine of mine ( can see " inxi -Fz" here: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4558.msg45627.html#msg45627 ).
Two HDD in the machine: 160 GB with Peppermint installed + 1 TB Seagate-Barracuda as archive.
The Seagate (new bought) dead after a couple of months, got new one under guarantee a couple of days ago. Installing it and transferring files got problem: fine with folders having few files inside, problem with big folders. Opening big folders (images) can't get all thumbnails and disk noise starts (something like "bip", the same noise the other disk doing before die).
If am not wrong, the machine can manage 64 bit OS but afraid of burning another HDD, I removed Peppermint 64 bit wishing to put 32 bit version (am downloading it now); so, the question is: can be the 64 bit OS the problem and putting 32 bit I fix it or is something else?
I never got HDD dead after a couple of months, I have some almost ten years old.
The big one (1 TB) used as archive gone to the same slot where the previous one was (with the native OS). When installing Peppermint, I have been putting it on the 160 GB one and the new one (1 TB) using as archive. Could be that the problem? - Better if I install the new Peppermint 32 bit on the 1 TB one?

Thank you for reading

Best Regards

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Can the OS kill HDD?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:19:42 pm »
Hi Bourbon,

It is definitely NOT Peppermint OS killing your HDD.

Neither is it the number of files in a folder.  I say that with some certainty as I have an 8Tb external drive with one folder in it having over 60,000 sub folders and some 834,000 + individual files.

You will need to wait for some more technical answers and what to look for in the hardware of your machine but I doubt very much it is Peppermint doing it whether 64 bit or 32 bit.

Regards Zeb...

Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k
P10r x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:02:58 pm »
Software should NEVER be able to destroy hardware .. if it could, it would ALWAYS be considered a hardware/firmware problem.

You might want to Google "seagate failure rates" or "seagate clicking"...

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/203478-backblaze-pulls-3tb-seagate-ssds-from-service-details-post-mortem-failure-rates

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050374/seagate-barracuda-7200-drives-failing

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:04:40 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Bourbon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 04:24:17 pm »
@ Zebedeeboss and PCNetSpec: - Hi! Thank you for your kind concern. Definitely, something is wrong with that machine of mine and I don't understand what.
I have been trying to run Peppermint 7 32 bit "live" and takes ages before getting ready; after that, Gparted do the same. I gave up after more than ten minutes waiting for it.
Ok, too much stressing, I put this machine in the corner. If I will be able to solve the issue I will update the thread.

Thank you once again
Best Regards

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 05:12:45 pm »
How does Peppermint run without the 1TB drive attached ?

Is AHCI selected in the BIOS ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:32:31 pm »
You might want to Google "seagate failure rates" or "seagate clicking"...

I've probably lost one of every brand, over the years.

Seagate got a bad rap, years ago -- can't remember the exact reason -- and they still haven't shaken the stigma.  Personally, I've owned a lot of Seagates, and my experience has been positive.  I think the reason I bought them was because everyone else hated them.  LoL !

That said, if I was going to buy a spinner these days, I would definitely go with a Hitachi (now called HGST). 

I'm a Travelstar fanboi from way back.  I'd still be running them in my portables, if I hadn't been corrupted by SSDs, but I digress.

To answer the question directly, yes, an OS can kill a HDD.  The worst case scenarion was winders vista.  The HDs never rested in those machines.  The HDD(s) would crunch, and click, and grind the whole time the machine was on -- whether or not you were at the keyboard.  We called it 'churning', and it would turn drives into butter if you left vista on 24/7.

Vista aside, I wouldn't worry about it. It was probably just a fluke.  As careful as OEMs try to be, they still get a-fart-in-a-carload, every once in a while.

Just saying ...  ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 11:05:50 pm »
Seagate is notorious for bad runs, sometimes even an entire bad model line here and there.  I'd definitely check with online sources to see if a lot of people complain of failures with that particular model.  If so, you may want to get your money back and get something else.

Offline Bourbon

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:10:19 am »
Hi All,

Just seeing all the new post in the thread, Am writing from another machine, today not feeling in the right mood to work on the faulty one.

@ PCNetSpec: - Hi! - The machine has been running almost properly (freezing sometime when many Firefox tabs open) without the 2nd HD for a couple of months.
Now, switching on the machine after long time I found GRUB2 "gone" and did chroot to install it again. That has been the only problem.
I got the new Seagate three days ago and put it in place: no problem for a day, the second day I have been transferring some files from external drive to it and problems start.
I don't know if "AHCI" is selected in the BIOS. Honestly, I don't know what it is and  how to check.
I can say that on the machine we have two burners and two hard disks, I saw something funny there: The 2nd HD (I mean, the Seagate used as "Archive") is saw as /sda sometime and as /sdb other times (also with other distros before installing Peppermint 7 64 bit).
Even reinstalling GRUB2 by chroot something funny: launching $ sudo apt update the process aborts telling me to play a command to fix the issue. I don't remember the command but it started the process to install GRUB2 again.
Am trying to give you all details PCNetSpec, hoping don't forget anything :)

@ VinDSL: - Hi! - Do you know what? I bought that machine (Packard Bell) on 1997 with Windows Vista 32 bit already installed lol
Added a burner and a 2nd HD (the 160 GB one) and it has been working properly till I removed Vista because ending support.
The HD with Vista was the one dead after small time and I replaced with the 1 TB Barracuda, putting  Peppermint on the 160 GB one and using the Barracuda as archive.

@ Scifdude79: - Hi! - Never I will buy Seagate again lol but this time they have been correct, because replaced the dead HD with a new one. Waited a couple of months.
I am puzzled now because afraid has been the machine or Peppermint burning the 1st one and don't want lose the new one too.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 12:49:07 pm »
Just to be clear, Seagate makes good drives too.  They and Western Digital, another company with spotty quality, have bought out many of the smaller HD makers, so there's not a whole lot of choice out there.  When picking computer components, or any electronics, product reviews are your friend.  Don't just go by a high or low rating, read through them and see what people like and don't like.  Pay particular attention to 3 and lower star (out of 5) reviews to see what the problems are.  People are fickle, so they can give a product a low rating for any reason, from high failure to some feature they don't like that is a non-issue for most people.  Anyway, product reviews have been my friend, thus, I have a pretty good track record with electronics.