Choose style:

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Persistent installation of PeppermintOS 5 in USB flash drive  (Read 3926 times)

Offline geoponer

• nOOb
  • Plagued by a GMA500-powered netbook
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 (32-bit)
Hi to all,

I have the following issue: I have to use Windows at work, as I am working with various MS Office documents all the time (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. - reports, presentations for Conferences etc.), both creating and sharing with colleagues. I have tried using Open Office in the past but when opening Open Office documents I created in MS Office, the formatting was awful, text was moved/missing, borders were different etc. In addition, when I use Linux I am not able to use the desktop apps/sync tools of cloud-based tools apart from Dropbox and Google Drive (such as OneDrive and some custom ones) and also run some apps I need. This means that I cannot completely replace Windows with Linux, for the time being.

The point is that at the same time, I am spending a lot of my work time using Google Docs and other online tools (e.g. social media, blog etc.) that do not require the use of Windows, so using Linux would be fine at these times of the day. Since I really enjoy using Peppermint OS (which is installed at my netbook at home and trips), sometimes I use a PM5 live USB I always carry with me for booting into Linux and spend some time of enjoyable work. This of course has the issue that each time I have to set up my Peppermint OS setup from scratch, such as installing the Greek layout of the keyboard, entering my passwords for each online tool I use, etc.

So it seems that I have the following two options; either I take my chances with Wine and MS Office in Peppermint or I create a persistent installation of PM5 in a 8GB USB flash disk. My past experience with Wine were not that good, so I would like to go for the 2nd option. What I need would be to install PM5 in a USB disk that I can boot from, set everything up, save my passwords and then after restarting I will have everything saved in the USB disk.

I have found this online guide which I plan to follow, but I was wondering if there is anything else that I should take care of before I try that. The guide refers to PM3, so some things may have changed in the meantime.

Any help would be more than welcome, as usually!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:22:46 am by geoponer »
Acer Aspire One 751h: 1,3GHz Atom Z520 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, GMA 500 GPU...

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Persistent installation of PeppermintOS 5 in USB flash drive
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:28:00 am »
Sounds like we have the same concerns.   ;)

I'm a "professional", so called,  and need to work with winders office products, blah, blah, blah.

My biggest problem is: I need to use my Peppermint laptop to perform collaborative editing of documents, spreadsheets and presentations that were produced on Macs and winders machines.

I'm short on time right now, but I'll leave you with this...

I took care of all of my problems by installing/using Kingsoft Office.   :)

Here's a stub in the old forums:  http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6219

And, here's a thread on Ubu Disco:  http://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/kingsoft-office/1082

BBL
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:31:19 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:40:58 am »
Hello  geoponer,

That's how I started with Linux.  I wasn't quite that sophisticated either.  I just added persistence to an 8 GB flash drive using Pen Liunx' USB installer -- didn't bother with passwords or anything back then.  But that was an excellent video for installing to a flash drive, and the right way to do it.

My only comment would be is this.  If you have a spare external hard drive that is USB 3.0 capable, and you have a USB 3 port on your computer, then go for the external hard drive option.  Why?  Because it's nearly as fast as an internal hard drive.  I know I can't tell the difference in regards to speed between the two.

But as the man says in the video, just make sure you're paying attention to which drive you're putting Peppermint on.  You don't want to lose your Windows installation if you need to have it.

Then go into your BIOS and change the order of your boot options so you'll boot from an external hard drive, or USB, first.

After this, you'll have two OSs to work with, and believe me, Peppermint will be the better of the two!   ;)

But, if you need an OS you can carry in your pocket, the flash drive will be just fine, just slower than USB 3.0 external drive would be.

Good luck, and have fun with your new upcoming Peppermint 5 installation.

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:47:06 am »
Was it just me, or did the guy in the video not cover (or seriously skim over) where to put the GRUB bootloader ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline geoponer

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:21:43 pm »
Was it just me, or did the guy in the video not cover (or seriously skim over) where to put the GRUB bootloader ?

Mark could you please help me with that? What will I need to do apart from what's shown in the video?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 05:29:55 pm »
the guy in the video was lucky, the installer had already chosen the right place for him .. but it might not, so he sholuld have covered it.
(or maybe he did and I just missed it)

OK, *IF" the USB stick is /dev/sdb
so the partitions you create are /dev/sdb(n) .. where (n) is a number

You want to place the GRUB bootloader in the root of that device .. so in  the above example it would be /dev/sdb
(so it gets written to the master boot record of the USB stick)

NOT /dev/sdb(n) and most definitely NOT /dev/sda (where /dev/sda is your hard drive)

If you haven't understood that, just ask and I'll try to clarify.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:45:13 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline geoponer

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:19:24 am »
First of all I would like to thank you all for your responses; they were really helpful. For example, I already installed Kingsoft office latest version (btw, downloading from here was really fast!), hoping that it will be more compatible with MS Office than Libre Office.

I have an external USB 3.0 hard disk, but it is used for backing up my work, so I wouldn't want to use it for this purpose; in addition, my laptop (a Toshiba Satellite C670) does not have any USB 3.0 ports so I decided to use a spare (and probably slow I am afraid) 8GB USD flash disk. I went through the process as described in the video, faced some issues (e.g. I could not unmount the flash disk) and then I faced the issue the Mark mentioned in the last comment. It took me quite a lot of searching online for realizing that not only I had to use the root of the USB for the GRUB (I hope I describe it well) but I also had to set the mounting point of the flash disk's ext4 partition to "/" from the pull-down menu before the installation started (info found here)...

After that, everything went well: The installation took quite longer than usually (probably due to my slow netbook and/or the slow flash drive) but I managed to complete the installation to the flash drive, boot from it and started setting up my apps and settings! Since I am just testing for the time being, I am not bothered by the speed of the disk and I am more interested to see how this will work in practice.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide me with your feedback; it is really appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:21:35 am by geoponer »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
You just took a major leap.   Congratulations!   :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum