Choose style:

Author Topic: Is the perfect printer for Peppermint 7 to be found? [SOLVED]  (Read 5155 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Is the perfect printer for Peppermint 7 to be found? [SOLVED]
« on: January 19, 2017, 07:33:34 am »
Hello Peppermint forum,

mrs.perknh and I went out yesterday, braving the slick roads of southern New Hampshire, in order to print out a couple PDF documents.  Hours later, frustrated and cold, we came home empty-handed.  Not that we were ill-prepared --we were not.  I had my trusty Toshiba laptop with Peppermint 7 with us, an external hard drive, and we went to the home of a friend where I had, years earlier, installed Peppermint 6 on one of her computers, and Windows 7 on another.  Yeah, we were prepared, but we still came up dry.  The PDF files were blocked from view in Peppermint 6, and they only appeared as ghost files (empty files) on the Windows 7 computer.

I've had it.  Although I use a printer about 2 to three times a year at most, I want to buy a printer now.  I want one that will darn sure work with Peppermint 7, and with my wife's Chromebook too.  Ideally, I might add, I'd like to make copies (an All-In-One Printer), have Wi-Fi, and be able to buy single color cartridges when I need them, instead of having to buy all the colors at once when all I really need is some black ink.

Is this search of mine for such a printer unrealistic?  Is the perfect printer for Peppermint 7, along with a Chromebook, to be found?  I've spent hours on the Web this morning searching, searching, searching.  At this point, I'm drawing a blank.

Thank you for any ideas on this subject.  Not only am I running on fumes at this moment, but I'm also out of coffee.  If all else fails, may a cup of Twinings Earl Grey tea come to my rescue.  It will be sweetened traditionally, of course, with raw, organic, blue agave syrup. :o

perknh
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:47:26 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Pretty much any HP AIO.

But once you find a model you like, before you buy let us know the model and we can check the required version of hplip
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Pretty much any HP AIO.

But once you find a model you like, before you buy let us know the model and we can check the required version of hplip

Will do.  That narrows the field a lot.  Now, with a little luck, I can find a brick-and-mortar business that carries some decent HP printers.   I'll start at a Walmart Supercenter that's located nearby.  I'll post again before making a purchase.

Thank you, PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
+1 for HP printers!

I have a HP Photosmart 5525 (Print/Scan/Copy/Web) and EVERYTHING works in my mixed home network.
It is attached via USB on my main machine and shared.

I can't comment on the Chromebook since I've never seen one here!  :o

Greets!
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Agreed.  HP all the way.  I've never had an issue with a HP printer in Linux.  :)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Hi perknh

I bought a new printer just last week for my office, I eventually settled on an officejet 4650
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-4650-all-in-one-printer

Absolutely delighted with it, runs perfectly in PM7 unfortunately I can't speak for the Chromebook

Graeme

EDIT
There's probably no such thing as a perfect printer I suppose it depends what you want to do, if you're looking to print high quality photos the HP 5500 GNULINUX suggested might be the better printer but for general printing I can heartily recommend the 4650
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:43:35 am by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hi perknh,

Mine is a little old and I'm not sure it is still available, but it works well, has wifi connection (also to an old chromebook) and was cheap: HP Deskjet 3055A.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Definitely HP.  Mine are HP Photosmart 6380 and HP LaserJet P1102W.  No problem with either but the P1102W does require a proprietary driver hence the need for HPLIP (as PCNetSpec intimated).     ;)
The Photosmart is, btw, all-in-one.   Good luck in your search.

cheers
mac

Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Thank you so much, gentlemen.

Well, I went to Walmart, and this pretty much what I saw.  I skipped all Cannon printers.

Kodak:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Kodak Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Printer
 Verité 55 XL Plus

Airprint
Google Air Print
Wi-fi
Spend less on ink

Lenux Debian 8.0
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

's $60
Note:  Kodak was the only one of all the printers I saw that said it supported Debian and Ubuntu.  It $60.  I wonder if that itself deserves a dollar vote.  This printer has been in stock of six months.  I was told by the sales clerk that Kodak is getting back into the printer game.

................................................................................
[close]

After looking at the Kodak printer, I saw a six HPs that caught my eye --the Envy series, the Deskjet series, and the OfficeJet series, but NOT one box said that the printer inside supported Linux.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
HP Envy 4512

HP Envy 5642

HP DeskJet 3632

HP DeskJet 3752

HP OfficeJet 4652

HP OfficeJet 6962
[close]

I read you guys loud and clear --HP is the way to go.  I have to get a printer; that's for sure.  But I'm scratching my head as to what to do now.  Did anyone think I'd encounter a Kodak that supported Debian and Ubuntu and Google Air Print?  That really surprised me.  That said, I know that those Debian and Ubuntu distributions are a little dated.

Thank you, everyone, while I wrap my head around this.

perknh
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:05:05 pm by perknh »

Offline notned

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 now 8
You mentioned that you only print once or twice a year.   I think laser printers need to be considered otherwise you'll be going out for ink every time that you print.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
I'm not sure about the HP DeskJet 3752 and the HP OfficeJet 6962 .. but according to this
http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04550279
the other HP printers are Google Airprint capable.

And as for hplip version (for the ones listed as Airprint compatible).....

HP Envy 4512 = Minimum HPLIP version 3.15.9
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/other/envy_4510_series.html

HP Envy 5642 = Minimum HPLIP version 3.14.10
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/other/envy_5640_series.html

HP DeskJet 3632 = Minimum HPLIP version 3.15.6
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet_aio/deskjet_3630_series.html

HP OfficeJet 4652 = Minimum HPLIP version 3.15.9
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/officejet/officejet_4650_series.html

Peppermint 7 has hplip version 3.16.3 - so ALL the above will work in Peppermint 7

Peppermint 6 only has hplip version 3.14.3 - so non of them will work OOTB, but you should (theoretically) be able to install hplip 3.16.11 from here:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/gethplip.html

Let me know if you still use Peppermint 6 and I'll do a test install of hplip 3.16.11 in a Peppermint 6 VM just to be sure.

[EDIT]

notned has a point .. ink in an inkjet may clog the print heads if left for months on end without printing, or dry out altogether if left for a whole year.

If you're only ever going to print in black and white it MAY be worth considering a cheap black and white laser .. I've found Samsung B&W Lasers are pretty well supported in Linux.

Colour Lasers being pretty expensive .. though their price has fallen.

Lasers can generally stand for years and still work straight away (as long as they're not stored in a turkish bath house).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:19:28 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Hi

Be wary of cheap Samsung Colour Laser Deals.   I bought one a few years back for £99 and I was like yeah!!!     Then I went to buy colour cartridges about 6 months later  and decided not to when the bill for a complete set came to over £240 (£60+ per colour)  :o

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Thank you, gentlemen,

All of you are making good points here.  PCNetSpec, thank you for digging up all that printer info.  I really appreciate all the effort that took.  Thank you.  Doing that has brought my HP choices down to three --the HP Envy 4512, the HP DeskJet 3632, and the HP OfficeJet 4652.  The HP Envy 5642 will be scratched off the list because the support information says that this printer is not recommended.

Interestingly enough, I do occasionally play around with Peppermint 6.  And I still maintain a friend's computer that runs P6.  Now, strange as it sounds, the only printer of the list that has been ignored in this conversation is the only one that appears to support Peppermint 6 --the Kodak Verité 55 XL Plus!  But, would it support Peppermint 7?  I don't know.  :-\  I actually thought I was going to hear that that one printer was a lucky find and unquestioningly the one to buy.  And it was the only printer whose box had the decency to say that it supported Lenux Debian 8.0, and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  But, it's been the one printer that nobody has said anything about!

notned, thank you for your observation that I don't do a lot of printing.  That is true.  Also, what I don't do these days is write a lot of letters.  (My handwriting has become something akin to chicken scratch.)  I would probably write letters more frequently if I owned a printer.  Many of my friends are still letter writers. They've been on my case for years to write them letters.  I have difficulty doing so now.  A printer would help me in this regard.

zebedeeboss, the Kodak printer seemed to be the printer that would save me on ink over time.  I need to investigate that further at Walmart on which of these is really the best on the wallet over time.

GNULINUX, emegra, Slim.Fatz, and mac, notably absent on my short list of printers that are available to me are all the the models you guys have suggested.  It's like that old cartoon where I have four flavors of ice cream available to choose from --chocolate, wood, plastic and liver-- and then the retailer tells me that he is out of chocolate.

scifidude79, the printer, that was not working for me, and which inspired me to buy a printer that would, was an HP!  But, it might have been because Peppermint 6 was on that desktop computer.  At least that's what I'm gathering here.

Lasers can generally stand for years and still work straight away (as long as they're not stored in a turkish bath house). --PCNetSpec

Funny you mention that.  Google's YouTube has recommended to me that I would enjoy watching Turkish biker and Turkish Gypsy-style music videos.  And, believe it or not, Google is right about this.  But, no...no printer in the bathhouse.  I mean you have to draw a line somewhere!  ;D

Thank you, everyone, for all your comments and time.   This has proven not to be as easy a purchase as I thought it would be.

perknh
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:14:57 am by perknh »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
the Kodak Verité 55 XL Plus!  But, would it support Peppermint 7? 

I've just installed the driver for that printer from:
http://www.funaihelp.com/kodak/printer/downloads

It installed fine in Peppermint 7. Of course I don't have the printer but that's a good sign, no? ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
the Kodak Verité 55 XL Plus!  But, would it support Peppermint 7? 

I've just installed the driver for that printer from:
http://www.funaihelp.com/kodak/printer/downloads

It installed fine in Peppermint 7. Of course I don't have the printer but that's a good sign, no? ;)

Thank you, murraymint,  Yeah, that's a good sign, and, of all things, the digital television we have is a Funai. :o