Choose style:

Author Topic: Is the perfect printer for Peppermint 7 to be found? [SOLVED]  (Read 5040 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Historically Kodak printers have been a royal pain in Linux (support wise) .. by the looks of things that has changed, but given also their historic build quality I'd personally steer clear of Kodak.

Besides which I'm sure I read somewhere Kodak is "on the ropes" financially ,, if this is still the case can you trust they'll still be in business in a year or so ?

HPLIP and the HPLIP-GUI are the easiest tools to use for printer config in Linux BAR NON .. HP have supported Linux (with FULLY open source drivers) really well for years which is the reason most distros include hplip out of the box.

What you do with my very PERSONAL take on things is up to you though ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:04:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Historically Kodak printers have been a royal pain in Linux (support wise) .. by the looks of things that has changed, but given also their historic build quality I'd personally steer clear of Kodak.

Besides which I'm sure I read somewhere Kodak is "on the ropes" financially ,, if this is still the case can you trust they'll still be in business in a year or so ?

HPLIP and the HPLIP-GUI are the easiest tools to use for printer config in Linux BAR NON .. HP have supported Linux (with FULLY open source drivers) really well for years which is the reason most distros include hplip out of the box.

What you do with my very PERSONAL take on things is up to you though ;)

Thank you, PCNetSpec.  I've been reading reviews and you're not alone with that experience.

Look at the first review here:

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/45175676

Unfortunately, my three other HP picks --the HP Envy 4512, the HP DeskJet 3632, and the HP OfficeJet 4652-- aren't faring much better in the review category either.  I know I've got to push the go button however.  I have to have a printer, but Kodak is now off my list.  By the way, I didn't see any Samsung printers at all yesterday.

Thank you, PCNetSpec, and thank you, also, to all the guys who have helped me here with insights and suggestions.  Believe me, I'm listening and paying attention.  ;)

perknh

P.S.

I guess the HP Envy 4512 is now off my list too.  I run a Toshiba laptop.  This is from Walmart's Q & A:

Can this printer be used with a toshiba laptop?

by Skip11/11/2015

A.Yes, as long as it is running one of the following operating systems: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) and OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion, OS X v10.9 Mavericks, OS X v10.10 Yosemite
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:47:44 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
That doesn't mean anything perknh, they never mention Linux .. they're just quoting what drivers are on the include CD/DVD.

But you don't need the CD/DVD for Linux .. you just need to install hplip and hplip-gui
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
That doesn't mean anything perknh, they never mention Linux .. they're just quoting what drivers are on the include CD/DVD.

But you don't need the CD/DVD for Linux .. you just need to install hplip and hplip-gui

Got it.  I'll throw caution to wind and buy one the four HPs I've mentioned here.  Then, I'll come back for support.  ;)

Thank you, PCNetSpec.

perknh

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
I picked up a Dell E310dw printer at Staples (online) for $39.99 USD, during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday season.

Basically, it's a re-branded Brother workhorse.  Couldn't be happier !   

Mono laser, WiFi and/or ethernet, duplex (double-sided) printing, 250-page (letter or legal) adjustable tray, et cetera.

It actually came with Ubu drivers on the installation CD, or you can download them directly from Dell here:

LINK: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/t/19984725  (see my post at bottom)

That's my candidate !   8)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:31:05 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
I've had it.  Although I use a printer about 2 to three times a year at most [...]

Do yourself a favor, and buy a laser !   ;)

If you buy an inkjet, and only use it 2-3 times a year, the damn ink cartridge(s) will dry out before you use it the 4th time.

Toner will never dry out and leave you stranded ...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:45:07 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
You mentioned that you only print once or twice a year.   I think laser printers need to be considered otherwise you'll be going out for ink every time that you print.

Golden !

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Okay, in my case, I need to make sure Wally World (Walmart) has an HP printer that is laser.  If not, I'll see what's available at Staples next.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:03:03 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Sorry ! Clicked the wrong button :) »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Okay, in my case, I need to make sure Wally World (Walmart) has an HP printer that is laser.  If not, I'll see what's available at Staples next.

I'm a 'free-range' buyer.  I don't buy anything locally, except gasoline and groceries. 

Everything else, I do from the keyboard ...

99% of the deals are get are posted on this site and/or their daily emails:

http://dealnews.com/

You wouldn't believe how much time & money this place has saved me.  I suggest bookmarking it, and subscribing.

That said, Staples (online) is a great place to snag a printer !

If you find a deal on printers @ Staples via 'Dealnews', jump on it.  It be long, before they're sold out -- usually an hour or two.

Happy hunting !   :)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Dang it !  Missed it by this much.

Dell E525W Color Laser All-in-One Printer, New

LINK:  http://www.staples.com/Dell-E525W-Color-Laser-All-in-One-Printer-New/product_1667711

Staples had it on sale for $129.99 USD, but it sold out almost immediately  :-[

Oh, well, it's like fishing.  You can't catch them all.  i'll get 'em next time ...

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear that, VinDSL.  Yeah, it's a hit or miss game.  I'm may accept the fact that I won't find the perfect printer this time around.  My problem is that I didn't ever know I was going to need a printer, and then, on top of that, find that I would need one relatively quickly.  If I can't find an affordable laser printer (which I haven't to date), I'll have to go with an inkjet.  Then, I have to find a way to use the darn thing often enough so that the ink won't dry up.  I would think I could always print out a couple words a day in order to keep the black and colored inks active.  I would think there must be some way to keep ink from drying up in an inkjet printer.  I can already see that these printers are a real PITA, and I don't even own one yet!  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Okay first of all, do you need colour, or will "black & white / greyscale" do ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:05:34 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
My problem is that I didn't ever know I was going to need a printer, and then, on top of that, find that I would need one relatively quickly.  If I can't find an affordable laser printer (which I haven't to date), I'll have to go with an inkjet.

There are all sorts of ways you can go about finding YOUR perfect printer. 

Let me tell you what one of my kids does ...

PRETEXT:  I was dumping the trash, one day.  When I opened the lid, there was a brand new Canon Inkjet printer in there, covered in coffee grounds, banana peels, and so forth.  I was going to do the 'dumpster diving' thing and rescue it from the landfill, but it had too much dried food on it.

MYSTERY SOLVED:  When I went back in the house, I told my kid about it, and he said, "That was his."  He told me what HE does is buy 3 or 4 refurbs at a time, at Fry's Electronics for $20-$30 each (or whatever the deal-of-the-day is) and piles them in his closet.   When the ink runs out, he throws them in the trash, and pulls another one out of the stack.  That way, he always has a good printer, and doesn't have to buy refills -- which, he said, costs more than a new printer.

Each to his own ...  8)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
 :D The only thing I can really contribute is stay out of range of the Canons

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
:D The only thing I can really contribute is stay out of range of the Canons

Most (if not all) Canon and Epson inkjet printers use a 'fixed-head' design, e.g. when one replaces the ink 'cartridges', they're replacing the ink 'tanks' only, and not the spray heads. 

There are pros n' cons to this design but, AFAIK  the heads stay active (and heated) the whole time the printer is turned on.  Personally, I think it's a piss-poor marketing model.  Planned obsolescence at its finest.  Plus, the manufacturer can boast about how cheap the ink is, because the heads aren't included during 'cartridge' replacement. 

I told this to a guy in my workplace, but he didn't believe me.  And, after a year of leaving it turned on, when idle, the head for the red ink 'tank' died.  Replacing the heads costs more than the printer itself, so he threw it in the trash and bought something else.

Soooo, unless you're willing to turn your printer on 'n off between sessions, I would judge that both Canon and Epsons inkjet printers are a poor choice -- or simply throw it in the trash, when the ink runs out.  LoL ! ;D