Choose style:

Author Topic: THE 10 BEST LAPTOPS FROM CES 2017 WILL HAVE YOU ITCHING TO UPGRADE  (Read 2038 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds

This year we’ve seen all kind of amazing new products shown off at CES, including a room-scale gaming experience
without a VR headset, razor-thin HDTVs with unbelievably lifelike picture quality, and of course, drones and autonomous
vehicles galore. But perhaps the most exciting things shown off at CES 2017 are new iterations of a device we all know and
love: the good old fashioned laptop. Here’s the best.

LINK: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-laptops-of-ces-2017/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:11:54 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: THE 10 BEST LAPTOPS FROM CES 2017 WILL HAVE YOU ITCHING TO UPGRADE
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:34:02 pm »
Is it me, or does there seem to be a distinct push to make 13" the norm ? .. for anything but occasional mobile work I think that's a backwards step (even given the higher pixel density).

Not everyone has tiny hands, and eyes that can read lawyer grade fine print  ::)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:46:44 pm »
Do any of them come with Linux preloaded?  (not counting Chrome OS)  Probably not.  :(

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:09:56 pm »
Is it me, or does there seem to be a distinct push to make 13" the norm ? .. for anything but occasional mobile work

Yeah, maybe ...

I've been using portables since the 80's.  The first REAL laptop I owned was an Epson Equity LT -  9.5-inch x 4:1, if I remember correctly - still out in the garage.  Before the Epson, Compaq Portables (portable 'sewing machine' size) generally worked out the best for me, even though they were hell to lug around.  I still have 4 Compaq Portables gathering dust, and 3 of them are bootable.

I've danced around with different size laptop displays, over the years.  IMO, 13-inch is the best size display for laptops, but they've always been horribly expensive, so I settle for 14-inchers.  Own three 14-inch Dells now.

Anyway, I keep lusting over a 13-inch laptop, but they've never hit my price point.

A Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 would be my pick, right now.

That said, yes, they are becoming more mainstream.  Maybe I'll finally snag one, one of these days.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:19:53 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 06:28:26 pm »
I wasn't really talking about "portable" or "mobile" where it may make sense .. I was contemplating what looks (at least to me) like a concerted effort by OEM's to replace 15.6" with 13" as the "general laptop" norm.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:30:29 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:07:46 pm »
[...] for anything but occasional mobile work [...]

You mean, for use as a 'desktop' replacement  :-\

Maybe you could give an example of what you're talking about ...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:13:25 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:20:48 pm »
Here's an enlightening article (picked at random):  https://www.lifewire.com/guide-to-laptop-size-and-weight-832312

According to the author: 

Intel worked with manufacturers to release Ultrabooks. They originally were only for the most portable of systems with screens the size of 13-inches or smaller but they have since moved into the larger 14 and 15-inch screen sizes with thinner and lighter profiles than traditional laptops with similar sized displays.

Sounds like the trend is in the opposite direction.  Bigger display, but thinner and lighter profile.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 06:18:47 am »
Yeah I meant as a desktop replacement, a standard "laptop" for use on the settee (couch), as opposed to a "notebook" which is more for taking with you and have always been a little smaller.

What I'm noticing is that they seem to be standardising on a single size that is halfway between the two .. we used to have 17" and 15.6" "laptops", and 9.n" to 11.n" netbooks .. they then seemed to sour on 17" and came out with an additional "notebook" category that were 13" - 14" .. and they now seem to be slowly doing away with the 15.6".

I'm not attempting to drawing much by the way of conclusions .. simply making an observation, and wondering if it's all in my head.

I'm just noticing a general trend downwards in size .. 17"  -->  15.6"  -->  13" as the MAIN production focus .. maybe eventually we'll end up with smartphones without the phone :))

[EDIT]

Here's an enlightening article (picked at random):  https://www.lifewire.com/guide-to-laptop-size-and-weight-832312

According to the author: 

Intel worked with manufacturers to release Ultrabooks. They originally were only for the most portable of systems with screens the size of 13-inches or smaller but they have since moved into the larger 14 and 15-inch screen sizes with thinner and lighter profiles than traditional laptops with similar sized displays.

Sounds like the trend is in the opposite direction.  Bigger display, but thinner and lighter profile.

And yet that's not what I'm actually seeing in the real world .. weren't most of the laptops in your article 13" ?
(hence my question)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:27:27 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 03:47:22 pm »
The size actually stays the same, it's just the screen that get's bigger.
Old(5 year old) 11" laptops were roughly A4 paper size. This is crucial, because many backpacks and cases are meant to hold papers and don't have space for much more.
13" ultrabooks are A4 size, thus they fit the same spots. And I can't think of anybody wishing they had a smaller screen in their device of the same size. Can you?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:49:58 pm by Pikolo »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 03:54:23 pm »
You're not reading my posts .. I think they're getting SMALLER as I'm not talking about netbook/notebooks.

5 years ago the majority of PC's with a lid were 15.6" (not 11", they were the odd "mobile" notebook) .. now the majority of new models with a lid are 13".

That also makes no sense .. screensize is not and never was measured by LID size ???
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:57:32 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:25 pm »
If you can tell me how to fit my 17.3" screen into a A4 bezel I'll definitely be interested, Pikolo ;)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:06:43 am by murraymint »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 12:44:31 am »
Is it me, or does there seem to be a distinct push to make 13" the norm ? .. for anything but occasional mobile work I think that's a backwards step (even given the higher pixel density).

Not everyone has tiny hands, and eyes that can read lawyer grade fine print  ::)

IKR? ... .... I really really prefer 17" displays... bur most folks don't keep them at home all the time like I do...
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 12:50:37 am »
maybe eventually we'll end up with smartphones without the phone :))

well nobody wants anybody to call anymore it seems... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/fashion/20Cultural.html
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.