Choose style:

Author Topic: why peppermint didn't fork and create a new DE rather than a hybdrid DE?[Closed]  (Read 638 times)

harishpathangay

Hi,
It is just a curiosity thing.
Why PM chose to bring a Hybrid DE rather than a fork a set of various packages initially and create a DE with a unique name. How about calling it PDE - Peppermint Desktop Environment?

I mean like Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome 3, Mate is a fork of Gnome 2.

All Linux packages are open source and free and forkable without any licensing issue right?

Thanks,
Harish P

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:27:43 pm by harishpathangay »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Simple .. Compatibility.

If we create our own full DE, we'd have to make sure a ton of packages understood (configured themselves correctly for) the custom name in the "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=" environment variable.

A better question would be why bother just to change a name in a variable when it would cause a LOT more work for zero benefit ?

Sure we could call it the "Peppermint_DE" but with the added work, why bother...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:28:23 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

harishpathangay

okay thanks. I am like a lay man in Linux world with only lot of imagination.
I was just imagining a themed PDE running in a Arch or Debian or any Linux system.
Just like I find XFCE in all variants of Linux. We will have PDE all over.
May be I am just too focussed on branding rather than  from a technical perspective.

thanks again,
Harish Pathangay

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
From my perspective the session is still being managed by "lxsession" .. as I personally see session management as the most basic/core function of a "DE" we see it as a HEAVILY modified LXDE.

I guess you could equally view it as a heavily customised Xfce .. all depends on what you consider the "core" component of a "DE" ???

We're not that "up ourselves" that we feel the need to call it our own though ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:13:56 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

harishpathangay

Kudos to you...
You made a courageous and transparent statement [considering I am a newbie].

Respect Sir!!!!

Thanks and Regards,
Harish Pathangay