Choose style:

Author Topic: Why Ubuntu is providing so many OS dedicated for each and every DE[Closed]  (Read 2158 times)

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
Re: Why Ubuntu is providing so many OS dedicated for each and every DE[Closed]
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 01:31:45 pm »
Wow!  That hurts my brain   ???

Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 01:43:55 pm »
I am going to be blunt. I think I was misguided by PcNetSpec and by the group in general in this question, even after closed, that is why I am discussing it. Please correct me if I am wrong [...]

I am only guessing this, because such a huge interaction and synchronization of releases of various teams indicates they operate under a bigger objective.

Er ...

Look, my dear harishpathangay, I have been invited to participate on many, many projects over the years.

There is NO secret agenda going on in this organization !

I'm as paranoid as the next person.  It's a matter of survival for me and the ppl I represent.  Call me a 'professional paranoiac', if you will.  And, I can tell you, there is NO monkey business going on here -- not even a hint of it.

We aren't in cahoots with anyone, if that's what you're *thinking*.

Can't really tell where you're headed with all this, but you're barking up the wrong tree, if I'm reading you right ...

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 01:51:16 pm »
Wow!  That hurts my brain   ???

It helps if you turn your display on its side, mac.   :)

The genesis shows that we're rooted in Debian, as we all know.

Peppermint is a branch, of a branch, of a branch, of a branch ...

If the root dies, we all wither and die with it -- cross-pollinate -- and, life goes on.

Nobody is pulling any punches here. 

Sure, we depend on the lower branches for sustenance, but they don't dictate the direction of our growth, you know ?

LoL !  This thread hurts MY head ...  8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:10:54 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 02:08:48 pm »
This thread hurts MY head ...  8)

Yeah, you've got that right   ::)

cheers
mac
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 03:05:24 pm »
Okay here's my understanding .. do NOT take this as "guidance" as I don't work for Ubuntu, then you'll not be misguided.

The "core" of "Ubuntu" is a pretty much a collection of third party software "packaged" for Ubuntu by trusted package maintainers (most of which are not "paid" by Ubuntu).

MOST of these (core) packages are common to all "*buntus".....

Packages specific to Desktop Environments however have their own respective "teams" .. there's a team for the Ubuntu DE (who concentrate on the Unity DE packages)
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop
these work closest with the Ubuntu management as any changes to "core" packages required by them are a priority for "Ubuntu"

there's a separate team for the Xfce DE
https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev

there's a separate team for the LXDE DE
https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev

etc.

They create the packages for their own respective DE's and make sure they work with the "core" packages dictated by the "Ubuntu" team and  management.

Any changes to DE specific packages required by changes to "core" packages are taken care of by the respective DE teams.

Sure they have meetings to make sure at the end of the day they mesh without conflict but they are also semi autonomous within the larger framework.

Now back to your original question....

They have separate ISO's with their own websites because

a) it makes sense that if you want info about *buntu with LXDE (Lubuntu) you have a separate site for that, maintained by the people that develop that DE.

b) it also makes the ISO's smaller than including ALL DE's on one ISO .. and the main Ubuntu site less confusing (all about *buntu with Unity, and  not say - here's how to access the printer util in Unity, and here's how if you're running LXDE, and here's how if you're running Xfce, and here's how if you're running KDE.....).

c) It makes "support" easier .. if someone on the forum says "I'm running Xubuntu 16.04" you know the starting point and their system likely isn't clogged full of Qt libs/etc.

And finally, let me also be blunt .. you're wrong, and if you're quoting him so is Simon Quigley (whoever he is) .. there are no Ubuntu "community editions" just "official flavours" (who yes attempt to semi-sync release dates WHERE POSSIBLE)
https://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/flavours
and unofficial spin-offs who are not in the "core" input/feedback loop.

This is my last posting on this topic .. if you have further questions on how the Canonical/Ubuntu organisation works ask them .. only they can guide/misguide you, anything from me is/was simply an attempt to answer your question FROM MY UNDERSTANDING .. take it or leave it, but don't consider it official Ubuntu "guidance", I have ZERO connection to them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:07:12 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 04:27:19 pm »
The newly redesigned Ubu Disco site does a pretty good job of summing it up ...

SOURCE:  http://www.ubuntu-discourse.org/

Top Linux Distribution

There’s a number of increasing Linux distributions around the internet and choosing from them can be a very daunting task, especially if you are new to Linux. But it would be biased if we were going to tell you that Ubuntu is the best just because we’re focusing on Ubuntu. So, we’re going to list the most popular Linux distros over the internet.

Distributions are kept up by private people and business entities. A conveyance can be introduced utilizing a CD that contains appropriation particular programming for introductory framework establishment and arrangement. For the clients, most mainstream conveyances offer full grown application administration frameworks that permit clients to hunt, discover, and put in new applications with simply a couple of clicks of the mouse.

Here they are…
  • Linux Mint
  • Ubuntu
  • Debian
  • Mageia
  • Fedora
  • openSUSE
  • Arch Linux
  • CentOS
  • PCLinuxOS
  • Slackware Linux
In the end, people will need to choose depending upon their preferences and level of expertise. For beginners, Linux Mint and Ubuntu are best. For medium users, openSUSE and Fedora are best while for expert power users, Arch Linux and FreeBSD are for you.

harishpathangay

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 05:28:05 am »
hi all,

I kindly request all to ignore this thread. My Bad.
Case Closed and buried once and for all from my side too.
Let me concentrate on One OS [Peppermint] for the moment. This will give me peace.

I sincerely apologize to PcNetSpec. :-[

Thanks,
harish pathangay

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 09:40:48 am »
I kindly request all to ignore this thread. My Bad.

Speaking for myself, no problem.

You have a keen mind, and a sharp 'tongue'.  I like that, in a person.

Just turn the volume down a little, and everything will be fine ...   :)