Choose style:

Author Topic: what do they claim if they say our linux is Independent?  (Read 717 times)

harishpathangay

what do they claim if they say our linux is Independent?
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:51:16 am »
Hi,
Let me explain. If I go to various distribution page, I see it is a derivative from Debian,Arch,RedHat,Ubuntu etc...
There are also distributions which claim they are Independent, like Solus, openSUSE etc....

What it takes to a Distribution to claim that they are independent?
Because the way PCNetSpec puts often is a Linux OS is itself a assimilation of various GNU Projects. Like X Org, systemd, a choice of DE, Kernel is from Linus, Package Managers are just apps for bundling software and providing precompiled binaries - it can be anything - rpm or deb.

What is that they mean when they say independent and not based on any other distribution. Are you writing any code specific to your distribution? Do not include Apps here. Apps are different from your base system. When you write GTK or Qt App, you are only writing C programs which can run in any distribution.

The fundamental thing is what is Independent in a Independent Linux Distribution?

thanks,
harish pathangay

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: what do they claim if they say our linux is Independent?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:02:01 am »
I'd consider a distribution is "independent" if they don't rely on another for packaging and package hosting .. ie. all (core) software is hosted in their own repositories, so they are not reliant on the availability of the repositories of a the parent DISTRO.

Of course they will ALWAYS be reliant on other PROJECTS (like the ones you mentioned above), but they package and host the software from those other projects in their OWN repositories.

People say Ubuntu is "based" on Debian  .. this is not entirely true by MY definition, as Ubuntu host ALL their own packages.

Ubuntu use the .deb package format, but they don't rely on the Debian repos, if Debian (or any other distro) went offline tomorrow, Ubuntu would still work exactly the same .. the same can be said for Solus/Redhat/SUSE/Debian/Arch/etc. .. but it cannot be said for Mint/Peppermint/Elementary/Sparky/Manjaro/<most others> who rely on upstream repos for some/most of their software availability.

That said, it shouldn't be seen as a problem .. other distros could always rebase or decide to host all their own packages (if they had the manpower), it's just easier and less expensive not to .. and resource sharing is how the Linux ecosystem works :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:40:27 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

harishpathangay

Re: what do they claim if they say our linux is Independent?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »
thank you so much.

thanks again,
hp