Choose style:

Author Topic: Install P5 with a custom /Home  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Hasimir0

• Just Wandering Around
    • View Profile
    • UnPlayableGames.tk
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 4
Install P5 with a custom /Home
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:58:43 pm »
So I have a Peppermint4 install with the /Home directory placed in its own partition.
Before I start the process to install Peppermint5, is there anything I should know?
Or will the installer simply ask me what partition to use as Home and be done with it? (with NO DATA LOSS, i mean)
Or is there a different special procedure?

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Install P5 with a custom /Home
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »
Yes, there is a special procedure. 

If you don't know exactly what you're doing, it's very easy to send your data to null.  This applies to any distro.

I have my own way of protecting my data in /Home, and I don't want to confuse you.

It's probably better to let Mark walk you through the 'official' way of doing things.

I would suggest holding off, until you have got this procedure down...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:14 am »
There is NO "official" way to do this.

In fact, my views on separate /home folders are pretty well covered elsewhere on the net .. I'm not a big fan of it.

Seriously, I can't see the point.......

a) you have to pre determine how much space to give / and /home .. and nearly always get this balance wrong, so end up with either a /home that's too small andr a / that's under utilised, or a / that's too small which is even worse.
(then any subsequent attempt to manipulate the partition table to resize those partitions carries a small but mentionable risk of data corruption/loss)

b) there's no guarantee that the hidden config files in your /home partition from the old version won't cause you issues in the new version .. in fact there's the odd occasion where they'll leave the system unbootable.
(so unless you'd know how to dig yourself out f that particular hole.....)

c) I'd ALWAYS advise backing up data you can't afford to loose to an external source anyway.

So if you're going to need to back up your data anyway, why not just back it up, do a fresh install, and copy it back.

There ARE (publicised) ways to keep your current /home .. but it's not something I *personally* advise.

If you still feel the need to attempt this, let us knoow and I'll *try* to point you in the right direction .. that said it's been a long time since I've done this myself, for the reasons listed above.

A seperate /home on a GUI-less server makes sense (where there'll be little in the way of hidden configs in /home) .. I just can't see a reason for it on desktop PC's
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:08:48 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Hasimir0

• Just Wandering Around
    • View Profile
    • UnPlayableGames.tk
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 4
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 04:25:47 am »
so basically:
- make a logic partition
- use it to back up anything worth keeping
- salt and burn everything else and do a fresh install with a norma /home

I just thought it could be easier having a separate /home partition exactly for this reason, but if it ends up being an extra risk instead of a supplemental safery (and more complicated instead of simpler)... then I guess I'll just raze it after backup  :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 04:43:13 am »
Personally I'd backup to an external source .. then just  zap the whole drive.

Here's what I *personally* copy off to an external source

Ueser data direcdtories such as:-
~/Documents
~/Pictures
~/Video
etc.

then just the hidden configs for apps I KNOW I want to keep .. such as
Firefox = ~/.mozilla
Chromium = ~/.config/chromiium
Thunderbird = ~/.thunderbird
etc.

I don't consider a separate /home a "risk", so long as you understand the possible pitfalls, and would know how to overcome them .. more that I just can't see the point.

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:00:01 am »
Sorry didn't answer the actual question there  :-[

Quote from: Hasimir0
so basically:
- make a logic partition
- use it to back up anything worth keeping
- salt and burn everything else and do a fresh install with a norma /home

Erm, Yes, sure (if you don't have an external drive) you could create another partitiion, copy the contents of /home to it .. then manually set up the partition scheme during installation .. then copy back what you need before removing the extra partition and expanding the other partitions.

Parts of this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
may help with the "copying" of your current /home

But I'd STILL advise backing up what you can't afford to loose to a separate drive (as ANY partition manipulation carries a small but mentionable risk of data corruption/loss) .. which is kinda my point ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:12:26 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 07:23:37 am »
There is NO "official" way to do this.

Heh!  That makes me feel better.   :D

For the sake of discussion, allow me to describe the unofficial haxor/tester method of doing it...

Here's what I do (rough overview):

• Boot from the Live CD (bootable USB thumbdrive with persistence) and select the try_before_you_buy option.
  • Start PCManFM and open/mount your existing install (P3, P4 or whatevs)
  • In your existing /Home partition, rename the '.cache', '.config', and '.local' folders with a .bak extension at the end.
  • Close PCManFM and install P5 via the desktop icon.
  • When you get to the part about what kind of install you want to do, choose the 'something else' option.
  • Proceed as you normally would -- select your existing install's root partition, home partition, and  swap.
  • DO NOT FORMAT THE EXISTING /HOME PARTITION!

Anyway, that's the way I preserve my old /Home -- with the least amount of damage to the new install.

Er... I suppose this goes without saying, but this falls into the 'advanced' category.

WARNING:  If you're new to Linux/Peppermint, DO NOT TRY THIS.  You WILL experience some anomalies that can  be easily corrected with some experience under_your_belt.  However, you will quickly become lost, and get into trouble, if this is all new to you.   ;)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:30:34 am by VinDSL, Reason: CAVEAT ADDED »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 08:18:25 am »
Nice caveat, and worth pointing out.

Still can't see the point though. ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec