Choose style:

Author Topic: A total noob distro hopping  (Read 1364 times)

Offline cost

• Supersonic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
A total noob distro hopping
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:03:32 am »
As a linux enthusiast noob, few days ago I decided to use a spare 4gb laptop to exploring other distros that I thought they had something better than P7. So, here's an overview of my brief journey outside the Peppermint world.

Before than Peppermint:
Lubuntu/Puppy:they look too ugly (imo) to enjoy them - I messed up the installation with Puppy; Lubuntu had big issues I never figure out to solve (example: no audio). I started to think Linux was a broken cheap os only usable from crazy kernel nerds.

Peppermint P7: love at the first sight, never a crash, Android Studio super fast, but Xfce gets bit boring after some time.

After P7:

Manjaro Netbook for my 1gb Acer AspireOne netbook: solid and fast as P7.

Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS: the most good looking distro for my standards. Everything looks beautiful, and the Mate environment keep it as a lightweight solution for 4gb laptop. Huge problem: the laptop is not able to boot on battery power, so if I forget the charger I can't even start working. The error is the same I have in Peppermint booting: radeon_acpi_init Error: Cannot find a backlight controller, though in P7 it's only a warning and theres no problem booting on battery power.
Since this problem was solved on Kernel 4.8, I switched to Ubuntu Mate 16.10 (kernel 8.0.x) - same story, no booting, goodbye Mate.

Fedora 25: the kernel 4.8.6 fixed my booting problem as expected, but my laptop had some problems with  slow wifi, and I didn't like how this distro looks, not mentioning some ugly fonts that I was lazy to change (annoyed by slow Internet).

OpenSuse Leap 42.2: my ram hated kde and I don't understand the point of kde, too many options and stuff I don't need, so I switched to Gnome: system is fast, stable, and after the first day, I got used to Gnome and start loving it. Since kernel is 4.4 I have the backlight warning, but likewise Peppermint it gives no probs on battery power.

So my fav distros are P7 and OpenSUSE.  After having seen a few of these distros I like P7 as an easy-going os for everything I need on my laptop (mobile/web development + net surfing).

Hopefully this review may be interesting for some other noob out there.  :)

Offline Skara Brae

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
Re: A total noob distro hopping
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:03:01 am »
I find myself having become an adherent of Debian and its offspring.

The few times that I have tried  something-else (Fedora and OpenSUSE - oh, and FreeBSD that gave me this "Operating System not found" error at first boot after install, sheesh), it did not go so well (although it most likely would have, if I had given it more time).

Debian and its offspring are wonderful systems (the inventor of the Synaptic Package manager/apt-get should get a statue - on the Moon, so that the whole of mankind could see it!).

Only once I made Mint (13 or 15, can't remember) crash, after I had installed Compiz.

And one other time I had a kernel panic at first boot after reinstalling Debian 7 (second install went fine). But further than that, I love Debian-and-its-offspring. I will most likely never "defect".
Registered Linux User #495429

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 11:03:18 am »
That pretty much echoes my own experiences with "desktop" Linux .. the only non Debian rooted "desktop" distro I ever had no issues with or wasn't overly complex for no apparent benefit was PCLOS.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 07:18:57 pm »
I find myself having become an adherent of Debian and its offspring.

I know how you feel.  I haven't found anything better than Debian and its offspring.  Peppermint being the coolest and the smartest one of the family  ;D.

...Debian and its offspring are wonderful systems (the inventor of the Synaptic Package manager/apt-get should get a statue - on the Moon, so that the whole of mankind could see it!).

Good idea, Debian is the Universal Operating System  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 07:39:39 pm »
I see what you did there :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cost

• Supersonic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 02:06:14 am »
You guys have much more experience than me, I understand you point about Debian (Ubuntu) based distros.

Btw after more or less 1 month of openSUSE as my second distro I came to the point that as a Linux noob I just want to stick to the apt-get world :D later when I will be more confident with Linux sys admin things I can migrate better to other distros.

So I just gave up with openSUSE: first, because for a noob looking how to fix issues is much easier to get Ubuntu solutions without asking (and waiting) to anybody. Second, some app aren't supported well (can't believe Gnome Boxes won't work on the last oS Leap on Gnome DE - it's a bug for everyone, not just me).
Last, yesterday turning on my laptop I find that all my settings are suddenly disappeared, also lost (probably not permanently) lot of files outside the root /home/user folder. Don't care how easy is to fix, it's something that should never happen even in the worst os ever, so I'm done with openSuse for now. Probably its one of the best distro ever, but not for me in this moment.

Peppermint 7: since its my first distro it gave me the impression that all Linux distros are solid as rock, fast and so on. Thats not true at all, there are few nice distros but P7 is the only one that never makes me spend time to fix non sense issues. Maybe I just have crap machines that get lucky with Linux thanks to Peppermint.

So for now I give up with all the other distros, in my very old netbook (1gb ram) gonna switch from Manjaro Netbook (nice, fast, but shut down is not working :D ) to P7 respin and hope it will work well like in my other laptop.

Happy New Year and Good Peppermint to everyone! :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:07:58 am by cost »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 02:55:38 am »
Hi cost, Happy New Year to you too  :).  Yeah, that's what Peppermint is all about.  We give the user a rock solid lightweight base distro.  It's then up to them to customize it how they want it.  You've already found out how easy that is to do.  It's also very satisfying knowing you've something that's uniquely yours.  Plus you're never left trying to figure things out by yourself.  You've the forum when you need assistance.  Team Peppermint want's its users to enjoy every aspect of the Peppermint experience  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 01:28:02 pm »
@cost  <-- LOL, sorry sometimes I laugh at the most childish of things :))

Great stuff cost, glad Peppermint is "doin the business" for you :)

@AndyInMokum

I thought for a second there you were going to say

Quote from: My warped mind
Yeah, that's what Peppermint is all about.  We give the user a rock solid lightweight base distro.  It's then up to them to BREAK IT

:o
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:31:28 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec