Choose style:

Author Topic: Wi-fi eduroam  (Read 1319 times)

Offline JDCosta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Wi-fi eduroam
« on: January 03, 2017, 11:37:32 am »
Hello,
I am using Peppermint 7 gladly on an old Toshiba NB100. Nice, everything is working out of the box, it is fast and not burning. Except the connection to eduroam wireless network on my school, it does not work. The setup from Network Connections doesn't work either. However, if I use Lubuntu LXDE it works fine if the password doesn't have other characters than alphanumeric ones.
Can someone help me? I think that same problem happened with Mint 17 linux…WPA/WPA2 problems?
Congratulations it is a nice distribution, but that problem is bad for the university world.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Wi-fi eduroam
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:40:08 pm »
I can see no reason it should work in Lubuntu but not in Peppermint and Mint  :-\

Does your Uni network require any special handling .. such as a proxy ?

or is it just a normal network only requiring SSID and password ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline JDCosta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »
I can see no reason it should work in Lubuntu but not in Peppermint and Mint  :-\

Does your Uni network require any special handling .. such as a proxy ?

or is it just a normal network only requiring SSID and password ?

No, and as  said, that's not the problem since the same wi-fi network with exact eduroam configuration, with no need of a certificate, works OK with Ubuntu, with any kind of password, and in Lubuntu with an alphanumeric password only. However, with Peppermint the option mode  is "client"  while in the others it is "infrastructure" but,  as far as I know, it means the same.
And for this answer I am using another wi-fi connection with no problems at all. But I tried to connect eduroam wireless network with linux Mint with same bad result. Strange. I Thanks. J

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:48:44 am »
As it seems to work with older versions of networkmanager (which listed "infrastucture" instead of "client") have you tried using WiCD instead of networkmanager ?

When you say "It works with Lubuntu/Ubuntu/etc." .. it would be useful if you mentioned which versions ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:50:29 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:22:07 pm »
I'm running PM7 and have no trouble connecting to eduroam in my university(in the UK, but I heard it's world standardized).

You need to select a specific setup though:
- WPA/WPA2 Enterprise for Security,
- Protected EAP(PEAP) for Authentication,
- GTC for Inner Authentication.
Here is a photo:

For some reason Peppermint didn't auto-detect that, while my Android phone did.
Make sure you use the correct domain(this might not be a thing for you, but my uni uses 3 domains for email addresses, and they all exclusively work for different purposes).

After successfully connecting, you will have to open a http:// website(your browser might complain about certificate hijacking if you try an https:// site), get hijacked and fill in the login and password again, this time cutting the part behind @ in the login

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything else.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:30:52 pm by Pikolo »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:53:09 pm »
Cheers Pikolo .. very handy info my mate :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline JDCosta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:32:28 am »
As it seems to work with older versions of networkmanager (which listed "infrastucture" instead of "client") have you tried using WiCD instead of networkmanager ?

When you say "It works with Lubuntu/Ubuntu/etc." .. it would be useful if you mentioned which versions ;)

Hello,

Ubuntu/lubuntu from 12(?), 14.04 to 16.04.  With the infrastucture option, and in the same NB100.
I decided to move from Lubuntu to Peppermint since this runs faster, for instace, when I need to run wine or mono.
I can connect eduroam with windows 8 (as I am doing now) and android (tested from 2.2 to 6)

I will try WICD, if I have no other option.
Thank you.

Offline JDCosta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 11:53:13 am »
I'm running PM7 and have no trouble connecting to eduroam in my university(in the UK, but I heard it's world standardized).

Here is a photo:

Make sure you use the correct domain(this might not be a thing for you, but my uni uses 3 domains for email addresses, and they all exclusively work for different purposes).

After successfully connecting, you will have to open a http:// website(your browser might complain about certificate hijacking if you try an https:// site), get hijacked and fill in the login and password again, this time cutting the part behind @ in the login

Hello,
Eduroam is detected from Peppermint is OK. Eduroam is not exactly standard everywere. There are some different opptions in each Univ. My wi-fi security options are:
WPA &WPA2 enterprise
EAP protected (PEAP)
PEAP automathic
No certificate needed
MSCHAPv2

and this is working, exactly then same, with windows, ubuntu, android, but not with Peppermint: it keeps asking me the password for ever. And the same happened to me when I tried Linux Mint 17 in the same NB.

Thanks

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 03:08:20 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this is not working for you. I still suggest trying GTC instead of MSCHAPv2. For me, only this specific setup worked, while in an email the universities 3rd line support(if you want to skip 1st line and 2nd line, just put Linux into your ticket  ;) ) said:
We currently support the following inner authentication methods.
1.EAP-MSCHAPv2
2.EAP-TLS
3.EAP-GTC
I actually bruteforced my way though all options in Network Manager before they replied.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »
which version of Ubuntu does it work with ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline JDCosta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:23 pm »
which version of Ubuntu does it work with ?

It works fine with Ubuntu 16.04, and also Lubuntu 16.04.

Offline JDCosta

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 04:50:48 pm »

Here is a photo:

Hello,
Eduroam is detected from Peppermint is OK. Eduroam is not exactly standard everywere. There are some different opptions in each Univ. My wi-fi security options are:
WPA &WPA2 enterprise
EAP protected (PEAP)
PEAP automathic
No certificate needed
MSCHAPv2

and this is working, exactly then same, with windows, ubuntu, android, but not with Peppermint: it keeps asking me the password for ever. And the same happened to me when I tried Linux Mint 17 in the same NB.

Thanks

Hello
Thank you very much for all your suggestions.   I have tried GTC, LEAP, and the all other stuff. And also I have installed WiCD and tried it. The problem remains. Eduroam network is readily detected but no connection is possible. It's a pity since I do like Peppermint and I am still using it with the NB100 without any other problems.