Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2017  (Read 3817 times)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
Re: New Purchases 2017
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2017, 11:57:29 am »
thought you were on a budget.

That makes it sound as if I plan my purchases or something. I'm a cheapskate, is what it is  ;D

It is interesting that you can get i5s and i7s now in little fanless boxes like that. I wonder how hot they get?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2017, 02:48:43 pm »
From a links on that page...

This looks pretty cool
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW8CQ8J
though it doesn't have the DVi/DP port you require :(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Seven & Eight
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2017, 07:33:07 pm »
thought you were on a budget.

That makes it sound as if I plan my purchases or something. I'm a cheapskate, is what it is  ;D

It is interesting that you can get i5s and i7s now in little fanless boxes like that. I wonder how hot they get?

We are both canny Scots, and want our pound flesh before parting with our hard earned.  ;)
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Intel Quad Core i7 240Gb-SSD 16Gb ram
Laptop    Intel  Dual Core i5 240Gb-SSD  8Gb ram

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2017, 08:12:42 pm »
From a links on that page...

This looks pretty cool
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW8CQ8J
though it doesn't have the DVi/DP port you require :(

Err...Another budget chipset machine. Ok, I know I've become, a snob. it must be an i3 minimum. LOL....!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2017, 06:34:03 am »
Why ? .. trust me these quad core low power Celerons with hardware HVEC decoding are ideal for HTPC's (or monitor mounted 'general purpose' PC's)
(the n3450 being the updated version of the n3150/J3160 based boxes I have)

and also for pretty much anything else besides gaming .. but then the graphics card would be the bottleneck in these tiny systems anyway, and the gaming versions of these small box PC's with more powerful graphics chips would require a VERY loud fan.

For anything these small box PC's are ever likely to get used for I can see no benefit to having an i3/i5/i7 in them .. they'll just draw more power and produce more heat for ZERO benefit.

A 'budget' CPU in a 'budget' system sounds about right to me ??? .. but that doesn't mean it's not 'capable', the low power nature of these CPU's makes them the IDEAL choice for most situation you're going to use a small box PC for ;)

Why would you want to fork out an extra £100 - £400 for an i3 - i7 that will never be anywhere near fully utilised .. what do you plan on using the thing for that requires an i3 - i7 but still an on-die graphics processor ?

In a small box PC "overkill" and "waste of money" are terms that spring to mind .. if you do anything that requires an i3 - i7, get a form factor you can add a separate upgradeable graphics card to that would take advantage of the more powerful CPU.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:17:12 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2017, 08:30:25 am »
Why ? .. trust me these quad core low power Celerons

A reasoned critique for the target market.   ;)    8)

I remember those good old, bad old days when I thought laptops were all the same, before I discovered more Ram and SSD, transforms things, especially my LenovoN200 (Dual Core Celeron) from a coal-fired slug into a fire breathing beast.

When my AMD A8 powered Tower died, rebuilt it, new board, A10 chipset, 8Gb ram and SSD. Fired it up and couldn't believe how slow it was, compared to my celeron lappy. Retired it to charity, as it did not meet my expectations. C'est la vie...!

Content with my other equipment.   :D

It still amazes me, looking through various listing for new/used lappies, proclaimed to be ultra quick and powerful, but come supplied with a 5400rpm HDD, neutered at birth.  LOL.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2017, 08:40:33 am »
Agreed .. my opinion on the continued use of any mechanical spinning platter (and easily damaged by movement) tech in a **mobile** computer is well documented on this forum.

Flippin idiotic tech for mobile .. that made sense ONLY when it was all we had ::)

Solid state should have become the standard (for at least the system disk) in mobile computing from the first day it was invented .. 'spinners' have always been the primary failure point of laptops (hence the 5400rpm HDD's which were generally 'slightly' more damage resistant and longer lived than their quicker 7200rpm brothers .. although the 10,000rpm raptors break that rule being known for their long life due to having the spindle mounted at both ends on quality bearings).

I mean do people really need 1TB+ (but extremely fragile) storage on a laptop ? .. it's just more data to loose when the thing takes a knock. Or is it just about having a 'bigger number' on the advertising for those that don't understand (and manufacturer penny pinching at the same time).

NOBODY, repeat NOBODY, I've ever fitted an SSD into a laptop for has said they want to go back .. storage capacity generally being irrelevant to them over say 240GB, robustness winning the day EVERY time over them returning with a damaged HDD every year or so requiring data recovery and a reinstall (by the second year it's usually saved them a ton of money too) .. the additional speed is just a (very happy) side effect.

Nowadays ALL laptops should come OOTB with an M.2 (or mSATA) SSD .. leaving room for an additional (aftermarket or optional) spinner bay for "storage" if required .. it would also help if this "spinner" bay could be easily hot swappable/removeable so you can treat it as a kind of internal 'external' drive (if you get my meaning) so can easily choose to only carry the easily damaged spinner internally when deemed 'necessary' (the rest of the time it connects via eSATA/USB3.x as static desktop storage).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:27:44 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec