Author Topic: New Purchases 2017  (Read 21373 times)

Offline Bigoeuf

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 7 (64bit)
Re: New Purchases 2017
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2017, 05:50:38 am »
Also @VinDSL (as your a 'proud owner of a E6430  ;) ) - any thoughts on:

Battery's on its way out (poor health - its says 44%) lasts about 30-45 mins from fully charged - it runs pretty warm too (hottish air from the fan vent) and there is an annoying, & somewhat concerning, occasional , but fairly regular,  'clicking' sound (like a camera shutter operating) which I can only assume is the hard drive as its the only thing with moving parts. I contacted the seller who was "unaware" of this issue  :-\

On batteries:  The standard Dell battery, that shipped with my  laptop, is in pretty good shape, but it only lasts 3-4 hours in real world conditions. So, by lunchtime, I found myself fighting 'smart' phone users for electrical wall outlets.  I went with a Dell BYD04 slice battery.  I've run it for 12 hours, several times, with juice to spare.  That would be my suggestion. 

Also, I use 'Standard'charging in my Dell E6430 BIOS settings, not 'ExpressCharge' --  in both my 'primary battery' and 'battery slice' configs. 

Supposedly, fast charging does not create more wear and tear on a battery than conventional charging.  They say that magic charging algorithms ensure safe and effective battery recharging, and the total amp hour life of the battery remains unchanged, but I don't believe in electrical fairies and dragons.  'ExpressCharge' overcooks the batteries IMHO.  Up to you ...

On the clicking noise:  What you're describing might be 'the click of death' (video picked at random):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMhdEp3SM_w

If that's the case, I would burn the HDD and buy a Sammy SSD.  ;)

Cheers for that VinDSL - looking through other videos & post it does seem that thats probably the problem with the HDD - its annoying cos other than that & the battery the lappy seems a good buy - So looks like I might have to fork out a bit more  :-\
With you about the charging of batteries to - slow & steady in my experience (vehicle batteries etc) :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2017, 06:34:50 am »
Consumer hard drives need to die and disappear (particularly in laptops) .. if all manufacturers fitted SSD's their price/capacity ratio would soon drop, as it did with HDD's.

spinning glass/ceramic/aluminium disks with a magnetic coating are an old, inefficient, and easily damaged technology that was NEVER suited to mobile computers .. and that's without even mentioning the huge speed benefits :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:39:53 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2017, 06:37:52 am »
Consumer hard drives need to die and disappear

True !

When you think about it, they have a 100% Failure Rate.

It's just a matter of time ...  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2017, 06:45:33 am »
I guess the same can be said for all tech, but at least an SSD doesn't get damaged just because you move the computer .. as I said, HDD's are totally unsuited to mobile computing.

Current price/capacity ratios still make them ideal for server storage where throughput and risk of damage through movement isn't a factor, but for mobile they are and always were a stupid tech.
(but even this situation would change if prices tumbled .. which they would if they became the mainstream storage tech)

Personally I have no idea why HDD's are still used in consumer tech ???
(IMHO the speed and damage resistance TOTALLY outweighs the capacity benefits for consumer tech .. if you need storage capacity, a NAS or external HDD makes much more sense)

I'm yet to come across ANYONE that's gone back to an HDD as their boot drive once they've tried an SSD .. in fact as soon as anyone tries an SSD they immediately buy more for ALL their PC's .. they're speed is VERY addictive :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:53:59 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2017, 07:14:15 am »
.. as I said, HDD's are totally unsuited to mobile computing.

Funny you mention that.

I was reading a review of my current 'Roadwarrior', the other day, and it said there's an internal sensor that detects when the lappy is dropped off a tabletop, or whatevs, and it supposedly parks the head before the machine hits the ground.

Only good reason I can see for buying a HDD, these days, is for populating a NAS, and so forth.  And, that's just a cost consideration.  DC-class SSDs would still be better, but horribly expensive.

I might also mention, I replaced the HDD in a co-worker's laptop, a few years back.  It had died from heat build-up.  When I took his machine apart, it was totally clogged solid with dust bunnies, cat hair, et cetera, and had no airflow, even though the (twin) fans were spinning so fast that it sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

So, yes, HDDs are unsuited for mobile use for several reasons ...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:19:54 am by VinDSL »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2017, 08:47:25 am »
Yeah these E5420's have the "ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor" (accelerometer), but I have no idea if it works in Linux .. requires a proprietary driver in Windows.

[EDIT]

According to this:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTcxNzg
and:
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/mobile-linux/43769-linux-3-16-will-detect-if-your-dell-latitude-is-falling
kernel 3.16 onwards **DOES** support it .. though it may not actually park the head without a userspace dameon running.

Hmm, I wonder it that's a **bad** thing for an SSD ?

BTW, I had to laugh at the "Would be annoying for astronauts." comment :))

[EDIT2]

Code: [Select]
lsmoddefinitely shows the dell-smo8800 driver as loaded on the Latitude E5420's .. but I have no idea if it's actually doing anything besides 'knowing' the system is in freefall.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:14:21 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2017, 04:04:36 pm »
I found these used on the bay and I'm quite tempted:

10Zig 5810q Thin Client windows 10

Citrix HDC Pro Technology Supported
Certified VMware and Citrix Ready
7 x USB Ports (2 x USB 3.0)
Dual DVI Ports (1 x DVI-I 1 x DVI-D)
Kensington Lock Port
Centralized Management Console Can be downloaded to manage multiple devices.
4GB Ram
Windows 10 IoT
16gb on Board Storage.
Intel HD Graphics
Intel Quad Core 2.0 - 2.42 (boost) Ghz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Zig-5810q-Thin-Client-windows-10-not-wyse-hp-/252876854578?hash=item3ae0a29532:g:lQYAAOSwzqFY9hdC

Not really sure what that Intel processor is but I figure it would run Linux OK.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2017, 04:33:27 pm »
They're likely to be the same intel J1900 Celeron from the previous 5800q model
https://www.10zig.com/resources/10zig-in-the-news/new-high-performance-quad-core-thin-client-introduced-10zig-technology

Whislt this ***shouldn't** have a problem booting Linux, there's no guarantee .. and there'll likely be no way to upgrade the 16GB storage except with an external drive.

If I were you I'd look more at a Gigabyte Brix with a J1900 .. or even better an N3150 or J3160 processor ... all of which offer greater internal expandability, and the J1900 Brix isn't that much more new.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-Brix-BXBT-1900-Ultra-Compact-PC-Intel-Celeron-J1900-2-42GHz-Gigabit-/252877521527
or
http://www.ebuyer.com/711030-gigabyte-brix-mini-pc-intel-celeron-j1900-barebone-gb-bxbt-1900

Though the N3150 would be better if it's going to be used as a media player
http://www.ebuyer.com/742989-gigabyte-gb-bace-3150-2-08ghz-barebone-gb-bace-3150

Be aware you'll have to add RAM and a 2.5" HDD/SSD to those barebones BRIX though

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2017, 05:13:45 pm »
The "storage" will probably be one of those internal oblong SSDs. Maybe you can get bigger ones or I could run an SSD on USB3.

None of those will take a DVI for my Dell monitor. You can get those monitors for £20 or less in Cash Converters and I might stick another one next to it  8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2017, 05:35:01 pm »
I'd be willing to bet the storage is soldered to the board (and more eMMC than SSD) .. but no way of knowing for sure.

It's your money my mate ;)

Here's my favourite media PC barebones (I have a couple of these)
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asrock-beebox-j3160-mini-pc-barebone-dp-2x-hdmi-1x-usb-30-type-c-3x-usb-30-ac-wifi-plusbt-40-remote-

it has a mini DisplayPort so you can easily get a DisplayPort --> DVI converter for a coupla quid
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:38:36 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2017, 03:26:28 am »
I'd be willing to bet the storage is soldered to the board (and more eMMC than SSD) .. but no way of knowing for sure.

Actually I took a closer look at the 10zig website and it seems the storage is upgradeable to 256GB and the memory to 8GB. It comes with 16GB and 4GB in it so it's still looking like a decent computer for under £100 as it is, with options to upgrade it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2017, 05:31:46 am »
One of those cases where I'm more than happy to be proven wrong :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Ten
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2017, 01:28:54 pm »
I found these used on the bay and I'm quite tempted:

10Zig 5810q Thin Client windows 10

Citrix HDC Pro Technology Supported
Certified VMware and Citrix Ready
7 x USB Ports (2 x USB 3.0)
Dual DVI Ports (1 x DVI-I 1 x DVI-D)
Kensington Lock Port
Centralized Management Console Can be downloaded to manage multiple devices.
4GB Ram
Windows 10 IoT
16gb on Board Storage.
Intel HD Graphics
Intel Quad Core 2.0 - 2.42 (boost) Ghz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Zig-5810q-Thin-Client-windows-10-not-wyse-hp-/252876854578?hash=item3ae0a29532:g:lQYAAOSwzqFY9hdC

Not really sure what that Intel processor is but I figure it would run Linux OK.

You could try this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoenix-Technologies-Phnx-Barebone-Computer/dp/B014FLW2GY/ref=sr_1_38?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1501187114&sr=1-38&keywords=barebone+pc

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Cubi-N-Barebone-Celeron-Graphics/dp/B01C6PMTLE/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1501185888&sr=1-8&keywords=barebone+pc both are new.
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Various machines to sample the delights of Linux

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2017, 02:20:06 pm »
Thanks cavy, but the first one is just an empty case and the second one comes off worse to mine on processor specs.

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Ten
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2017, 03:19:30 pm »
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Various machines to sample the delights of Linux