Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2017  (Read 17681 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: New Purchases 2017
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 06:03:12 pm »
I'm beginning to wonder if there'd be more money in PC smuggling than drugs :o

You reckon they'd survive a drop from a low flying plane piloted by some Mexican dude ?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:04:48 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 07:55:25 pm »

Test bench pics ...

Humpty Dumpty takedown - blow out the dust bunnies - check for bulging caps - swap the HDD, et cetera.

Gotta love the quality of these enterprise business machines - original MSRP $1306.00 USD - push/pull air flow

Works !   Gonna see if I can blow it up now ...  8)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 08:02:53 pm »
Jeez that fan must be powerful .. when you turned it on it sucked all the colour out of the world :o

Switch the damn thing off .. I'm redoing the house electrics and can't tell which wire is which >:(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:06:15 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 08:40:11 pm »
Heh !  Yeah ...

You can't even hear the fans spinning, during operation.  The heatsinks are shrouded after reassembly, and the PS fan doesn't slap air either, so it's quiet as a fanless design. No kidding !

Only noise you hear, coming from this thing, is occasional HDD churning, during startup, app installation/upgrades, and so forth.

I've been running SSDs long enough that I'd totally forgot about head (voice coil) noise.   ;D

Anyway, I took that last pic at dusk, so the colors were washed out.  The choice was a neutral sepia-tone or monochrome, and I picked the latter.

BTW, if I decide to keep this machine in my stable, I think I'll put one of my Sammys in it.  Been considering a 1TB Mushkin Reactor for my daily driver.  Supposed to be just a fast and dependable as a Samsung Evo ...

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 09:25:33 pm »
Talking of 1TB SSD's and "new purchases", I've got a couple of still boxed Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD's I've been thinking of combining into a single 1TB 2.5" SATA with one of these:
https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/Dual-mSATA-SSD-to-2-5-SATA-RAID-Adapter~25SAT22MSAT
(I bought the MX200's because they have power loss protection .. or so they claim, dunno if it's worth the silicon it's written on but can't hurt right :) )

I've come across people on the web advising others against it, they say "you'd be better off with one single SSD because if one of the RAID pair dies (in striped RAID0 or BIG/SPAN mode) you'll loose everything" .. erm, you could say the same about a chip going out in ANY SSD ::)
(I think they're trying to say you're doubling the failure surface area .. well not really, a 1TB SSD has twice the chip count of a 500GB, but okay probably one less controller)

At least I could unplug the dead one, reformat and start again at half capacity .. or replace the dead bit at half the cost :)

It's a pity an SSD pretty much swamps SATA (6GB) anyway, so there's no real scope for the performance increase of RAID0 :(

[EDIT]

Oh, and for the record I generally hate those cases with sections that swing up /slide out / slot in / twist out .. they seem impressive the way they give easier access allowing effective use of space, but I inevitably slice a hand open on an effin burr somewhere.
(and chain-male gloves may be cool with a sword, but they're a bugger when working with small screws)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:12:04 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 10:20:31 pm »
Hold on ...

NOTE TO SELF:  Custom clock settings
  • Appearance (Custom Format) :   %A, %B %d, %Y
  • Clock Options (Custom Format):   <span foreground="#F7E0E1" font_desc="11.3">%l:%M:%S %p</span>

Okay, back on topic ...

That RAID adapter is cute.  I likey !   ;)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 05:45:43 am »
So, my latest addition is going to be an ASUS RT-N12/D1 AP (access point) for home usage.  Ordered one NIB from Newegg for $10 USD, after rebate and promo code.

Couldn't rationalize spending $430 USD for the latest n' greatest AC 802.11ac router  when a $10 USD 802.11n AP will fill the bill.)

OMG !!!  I just spent 4 hours backtracing a print server prob on my LAN.  After trying all the usual software solutions, it turned out to be a janky CAT5 cable.   :P

Guess I should have tried the usual hardware solutions first, but how often does a feking ethernet connector go bad, you know ?

All is good now (print server is reachable over the LAN) ...

Code: [Select]
╭─vindsl@Boogaloo-5 ~  
╰─➤  nmap -sP --max-retries=1 --host-timeout=1000ms 10.0.0.150

Starting Nmap 7.01 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-02-26 13:37 MST
Nmap scan report for 10.0.0.150
Host is up (0.0080s latency).
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.05 seconds

My AP arrived yesterday.  Took 15 days via FedEx ground.  Won't use those bastards again ! 

Anyway, I'll walk down to the mailbox, retrieve the goods, and start config'ing the AP.

It's a matter of priorities.  In my world, print servers trump wireless access points.  LoL !   :D 

[ 12 hours later ]

This ASUS RT-N12/D1  is ridiculously simple to setup !  Good thing, because the manual is exactly three sentences long - in about 20 different languages.  LoL !   ::)

First thing I did was flash the ROM with the latest firmware. 

Ran it as a 'Range Extender' for a couple of hours.  Worked fine.  I might return to this mode later, as it doesn't require a CAT5 connection.  It's strictly WiFi, all the way around.

I'm using it as an 'Access Point' now.  That works fine, too. 

Next step is to flash it with DD-WRT firmware.  Been wanting to play with DD-WRT for years, but never owned a router that was compatible with the haxor.

All in all, I can see why ASUS routers are so popular ...    8)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 09:22:53 am »
I'd be interested to hear if DD-WRT is worth it, if so I may look into one of these myself.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:14 pm »
Can't beat Dell Latitudes IMO, Andy !  And, the price was right.  This will be the 3rd Latitude in my stable:
  • ) D620, used 24/7/365 as a DJ bot
  • ) D630 ATG, my 'road warrior'
  • ) E6430, to-be-determined

Well, my Peppermint 6 DJ bot (bootable USB stick with persistence) ralphed yesterday.  285 days uptime, since last boot.   8)

I clicked the Menu button (on the panel) and boom !  Blew a hole in the file system.  FSCK was useless.

I installed Peppermint 7 Respin and everything is good again.  Only problem I had was 'xfce4-power-manager' wouldn't blank the display, and no amount of fiddling around fixed it.  So, I purged it and installed 'mate-power-manager'.  Bingo !

Gotta say, I have a newfound respect for USB sticks.  I never expected it to last this long, being hammered 24/7/365.

Amazing !

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 10:47:30 pm »
I'd be interested to hear if DD-WRT is worth it, if so I may look into one of these myself.

I'll let you know.  Probably do it this weekend. 

I'm dealing with crafty attorneys all week. 

Gotta watch my P's & Q's, you know ?   ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 09:29:12 am »
I'm dealing with .. attorneys all week.

And what exactly did you do in your previous life to deserve that particular karma ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:49 pm »
And what exactly did you do in your previous life to deserve that particular karma ?

I dunno.  It's just a game we play.

Everybody wants to ride the bronc that ain't been rode before, you know ?   ;D

Offline kimbopeppermint

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2017, 07:13:52 pm »
Hey VinDSL, I've had experience fixing those specific Dell Latitude series, there's 3 things you're gonna have to watch out for. The normal battery, the non extended one is pretty bad. The ram needs to be about 6GB on these or they wont run well with Windows, Linux is obviously fine under 4GB, and the internal WIFI cards are super janky. I would replace it with a Intel card from Amazon. Hope yours works out though, just keep in mind when they broke for people it was usually the Wifi Card that was broken and I had to replace from another machine. ;)
"I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !"
~VinDSL March 07, 2017

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2017, 08:22:31 pm »
Thanks, kimbopeppermint !  I think Mark can attest to this ...

The first thing I do, when I buy a laptop, is rip 'em apart and start replacing stuff.  I'm a merciless butcher of virgin machines !

I replaced the WiFi cards in every one of them.  You're right.  The originals were shiz.  The replacements all work great, especially the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in my E6430.  Damn thing's amazing, actually !   8)

I've got dual batteries in my D630 ATG, 6-cell & 9-cell  (15 cells total) - genuine Dell packs with Jap cells.   It'll run all day n' night without needing a recharge.

I haven't taken my E6430 on a trip yet, but it seems to be pretty miserly.  If I find myself looking for electrical outlets in airport concourses, conference rooms, and such, I'll buy a bigger battery and/or install dual batteries.

All I run on my D-series Dells is Peppermint OS w/4GB RAM.  On the E-series, I'm dual-booting Peppermint & winders 10 w/8GB RAM.

Anyway, you're spot on, all the way around !

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2017, 08:34:26 pm »
I'm "attesting" to nothing, far too much of a legal overtone for me...

But I'll back up what you said if that's enough ?

Yep, the dude can't stop messin with his erm, "hardware" .. yeah that's what I meant :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec