Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2017  (Read 17854 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: New Purchases 2017
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:49 pm »
LOL .. tinkerers hell eh!!!

It's like buying a car, expecting to customize it, only to find out it's already been done.

Really, it's perfectly usable, the way it is.  Smooth, baby, like driving a Cadillac ! 

Maybe I should have bought a Volkwagen instead of a Corvette, with an i3 CPU and 2GB RAM.

I need to at least replace the spinner with an SSD, right ?   ::)

Oh, well, I'm gonna pop it open, and see how it looks inside ...

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 06:50:18 pm »

...I need to at least replace the spinner with an SSD, right ?   ::)

Oh, well, I'm gonna pop it open, and see how it looks inside ...

Without a doubt replace the spinner.  While you're at it, replace the "coffee cup holder" with an extra drive caddy  8)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 07:55:06 pm »
While you're at it, replace the "coffee cup holder" with an extra drive caddy  8)!!

I'm seriously considering that.

I was originally thinking about adding a secondary battery, but I have a hunch this E6430 is going to last longer on battery power than I expected.  If so, I'll definitely go with a second drive instead.   ;)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 08:27:35 pm »
While you're at it, replace the "coffee cup holder" with an extra drive caddy  8)!!

I'm seriously considering that.

I was originally thinking about adding a secondary battery, but I have a hunch this E6430 is going to last longer on battery power than I expected.  If so, I'll definitely go with a second drive instead.   ;)

I did it on my Dell Latitude e6410.  I slung a WD 1TB Blue HDD for my /DATA partition.  I tagged the SWAP space on the end of the drive too.  That way it's not putting any unnecessary burden on the 240GB SanDisk Plus SSD I have in the main drive bay.   It took  all of about 5 min to swap it out.  I've a Dell eSATA external DVD/CD reader and writer.  I slung the optical drive in that.   You're absolutely correct, Dells are really easy to customise and the parts are peanuts to buy.  The whole setup I have runs like a charm  ;).   I've done the same thing with one of the HP 6930p Elitebooks I have.  Only on that, I used two SSDs.  That machine is now so robust, I can sling it around like a rag doll  :o.   it's close to indestructible  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 06:24:04 am »
First thing I NEED to do is add some RAM.

I opened up my E4630 last night, checked the RAM stick, blew the chassis out with compressed air, et cetera.

It comes with CAS 11 RAM, so I thought I'd better stick with that.

I ordered a matching stick, before going to bed.  That'll give me 8GB RAM, which should be sufficient.   ;)

While I'm waiting for the RAM to arrive, I'll start hunting for a SSD ...

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 11:51:49 am »
Gotta love that Amazon.com guaranteed 1-Day delivery ! 

Bought a Sammy 850 EVO before going to bed late Saturday night. 

Woke up Sunday morning, and there it was, sitting on my doorstep.

"That'll do, pig.  That'll do."  ~ Farmer Hoggett

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 12:39:08 pm »
Well, I couldn't take it any longer ...

The Dell Latitude E6430 refurbs I posted about last year (almost to the day) finally hit my price point.

LINK (actual purchase):  https://www.dellrefurbished.com/catalog/product/view/id/26649/s/dell-latitude-e6430/

Couldn't pass it up @ $198.11 USD w/Promo Code, delivered.  The CPU is worth more than the total purchase price !

Gonna add 4GB RAM, Bluetooth module, back-lit keyboard, SSD, and secondary battery, but Dell parts are dirt chip.

Anybody else buy themselves some toys over the holidays ?   :)

I already returned the toy I bought, too underpowered with an i3 and no ability to upgrade the memory, nor the drive to ssd.... https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4905.msg49123.html#msg49123

And getting a bit weary of laptops who's batteries become useless too quickly, I've been pondering rebuilding my mini-ATX desktop. The choices are daunting me though. Wondering if i may ask, what was your logic for not choosing a quad core in your new toy?
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 02:29:02 pm »
Wondering if i may ask, what was your logic for not choosing a quad core in your new toy?

Nothing I'll be doing will require 4 active cores.  This will primarily be used for business/enterprise purposes.

None of the software I run will use 8 threads. 4 will be sufficient, and HT (hyperthreading) handles 4 threads in parallel, so no biggie.

Bottom line:  I was seeking higher clock speed, reduced heat, and longer battery life.

Not knocking quads !  If I ended up with a lower speed quad-core CPU, I'm sure it would have been fine.

BTW, anecdotal comments (such as below) ultimately swayed my opinion, too ...   ;)

EXTRA CREDIT READING:  http://www.notebookchat.com/index.php/topic,37516.msg228012.html#msg228012

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:35:08 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 02:31:48 pm »
Good god, they deliver on Sundays in the US ?

Nice one though, Samsung 850 Pro's rock :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 03:14:11 pm »
Good god, they deliver on Sundays in the US ?

Yup !  And, if the product doesn't get here in 1-day, customer service credits your account with a extra month of 'Prime' for free.

It's like playing the lotto.  I figure the odds are skewed in my favor.

Nice one though, Samsung 850 Pro's rock :)

In anticipation of the next question ...   8)

I bought a brace of Samsung 850 EVOs instead of 850 PROs.  Both of them are head n' heels above everything else, in that price-range.

I haven't done forensics on a Sammy 850 yet, but after extrapolating the data, the only difference I see is a 5-year vs. 10-year warranty. 

Personally, I can't see paying a 30% premium for a 10-year warranty that I'll never use.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 03:32:10 pm »
Oooh, there's much more to it than just the guarantee .. though that should also tell you something :)

Don't get me wrong, the EVO would probably be my second choice (and a close one), but I've found if you look around you can usually find a Pro for not much more .. at least over here, but that's still probably twice what you guys pay.re

Over here the EVO is an expensive premium drive, the Pro is just stupid expensive .. so we end up with a situation where you can't get a discounted EVO but you CAN get heavily discounted Pro's which if you hunt around often makes em the same price as an EVO .. go figure ???

After reading a million and one technical tests and reviews I now swear by 850 Pro's .. At their price point I do however wish Samsung would add power loss protection like the Crucials (and some others) for what little it's worth.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:03:17 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 04:46:39 pm »
Oooh, there's much more to it than just the guarantee .. though that should also tell you something :) [...]

Over here the EVO is an expensive premium drive, the Pro is just stupid expensive .. so we end up with a situation where you can't get a discounted EVO but you CAN get heavily discounted Pro's which if you hunt around often makes em the same price as an EVO .. go figure ???

There are a LOT of things to consider, in this country, including misrepresentation and downright fraud, by unscrupulous marketers. 

When I see 'hot web deals' I'm more worried about getting a shop-worn item (repaired), being sold as 'new', or a grey-market item with no warrant at all.

I thought about buying a 850 Pro, but this 850 EVO is working well, so I decided to roll the dice and get another one.

Then, there are my ulterior motives:  I have a theory that I can shoehorn 2 Sammy EVOs in my Dell 7010 SFF case.  Only one way to find out.  Or, maybe I'll buy a 512GB Pro for the 7010 and install dual 250GB EVOs in my Dell E6430, as Andy suggested.  Yada, yada, yada !

I dunno.  In a way, it's like buying ground beef.  You really don't know what you're getting, unless you kill the cow and grind 'em yourself.  Butchers aren't known for their integrity.  Ask a cow ...   ;D

I suppose the only sure way to know what you're getting is to buy directly from the OEM.  And, sometimes that's the  cheapest option, but not in this case.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:51:39 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 06:17:43 am »
All hardware arrived - installed - tested.

Not much free time right now, but it's getting there ...

Next steps:  Peppermint 7 Respin   8)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 12:43:57 pm »
Well, I gone off the reservation again ...   ;D

I'm dual-booting '7' & '10' now - both working flawlessly !

I swapped out the POS Broadcom WiFi adapter for a SOTA Intel 7260 AC + Bluetooth card.  Highly recommended !

During testing, at work (we have a NOC on the property with multiple light sword feeds) the Intel 7260 AC card measured @ 58 mbps (802.11n connection).

802.11n is no longer flavor-of-the-month, but it's good enough for the abode, and probably well established and common enough for on-the-road usage (hotel rooms, convention halls, airport concourses, et cetera).

So, my latest addition is going to be an ASUS RT-N12/D1 AP (access point) for home usage.  Ordered one NIB from Newegg for $10 USD, after rebate and promo code.  Ordered it last night.

Couldn't rationalize spending $430 USD for the latest n' greatest AC 802.11ac router  when a $10 USD 802.11n AP will fill the bill.

Anyway, onward n' upward  ...   8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:19:59 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 06:13:54 am »
Gotta love those Newegg "Shell Shockers" (ordered) !  Think about it ...    :D

SOURCE:  https://goo.gl/24F0x3