Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 28568 times)

Offline TonyBronze

• nOOb
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2018, 10:32:50 am »
Hi Guys,

My name is Tony and I am a Peppermint user. 

I suppose my first use of a computer goes back to around 1979 when my brother and I bought a Texas TI99/4a, paying half each.  I upgraded to an Amstrad PCW 8256 in 1985 which had 256kb of memory and a floppy drive.  My first exposure to Windows was in 1992 at work where I was one of the first Employees there to use a PC, a 386 with Windows 3.1.  All the other Employees used dumb terminals but I was seconded to the IT department to assist with the transfer of the existing system to a AS400/IS2000 based system.  The first PC I bought was a  Compaq Presario CDS520.  An all in one unit with a 486 DX33 processor and 4mb of RAM  later upgraded to an Evergreen 586 / AMD 5x86 133MHz with 8 mb of RAM.  I think the hard drive that came with it was somewhere around 500mb and the max size the BIOS could handle was 1GB.  I later got a bigger hard drive,  2 GB and I had to partition it into two 1GB partitions to use it.  With the bigger hard drive came an upgrade to Windows 95.

I progressed through different PCs using Windows 98 then XP but toward the end of XP  will admit that I was getting a bit fed fed up with Windows.  Everything seemed so time consuming to do.  My parents got new laptops with Vista on which I didn't care for much.  I was the family go to guy if anyone had problems.  Very often it was Virus related and took ages to sort out.

I had previously looked at Linux.  Often using the free CD's that came on Computer Mags.  The first was probably Red Hat but soon gave up when it wouldn't do what I wanted.   First releases of Ubuntu were probably the ones I spent most time with. 

When the support for XP ended I tried out many different Distros and ended up dual booting with XP and LXLE.  This was the first distro I used where I had that light bulb moment where I thought, hey I am using this, it does everything I need and its not Windows.  It was based on Ubuntu 12.04 but the next version based on 14.04 I didn't like so much and had a few problems with it so started looking around again.

What I didn't like is that they changed some of the programs it came with including the browser to a customised version of Sea Monkey.  I was a Firefox user at the time so it meant I had to install extra bits I wanted.  It used a lot of PPA's for the latest vesrions but that sometimes caused dependency issues where it needed to install an updated version of a file but couldn't because something else was using the older version.  Some software such as steam wouldn't install.  It used the PPA version of Libre Office which kept having large updates.  The final nail in the coffin was an update caused problems with Nvidia and I could only use the Nouveau drivers.

So I started Distro hopping again and found Peppermint.  First I installed Peppermint 7 on a Laptop and took an instant liking to it.  I have two desktops and 5 laptops in the household all different makes, AMD and Intel Processors,  some with Nvidia, AMD and Intel graphics,  wireless are mainly Intel and Broadcom.  Peppermint works on them all.  They all now have Peppermint 8 on them and I can honestly say that in the 3 years I have been using Peppermint, I have not had one problem with it.  I am a hobby photographer and my go to program is Darktable.  Upgrading the PC I use for photography is easy  using Peppermint.  Install the OS, install the photography pack and done.  It has all I need.

Sorry, this has got a bit long and rambling on a bit.  Perhaps I'll save the rest for part 2 :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:56:41 pm by TonyBronze »
......to infinity and beyond.............

Online zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 x64
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2018, 10:38:22 am »
Welcome TonyBronze,

It is always good to hear people enjoying Peppermint.  I am glad you are no different.

I for one did not find your story overly long and I look forward to reading part two, should you ever decide to write it.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P9 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:53 am »
Welcome Aboard, TonyBronze!  I think you summed it up beautifully : "It has all I need." 
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2018, 11:15:02 am »
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum :)

I'm with Zeb and mac, I didn't find that overly long, in fact I found it quite interesting and useful (not to mention enjoyably nostalgic). For example:-

a) we took the decision early on not to rely on third party PPA's for anything included by default. if we want to add updated software we'd add it to OUR PPA rather than link Peppermint to others we have no control over .. seems it was a good decision :)

and

b) Peppermint 9 is currently in private beta testing, and I'd forgotten to check the Peppermint metapackages such as the "Peppermint Photography Pack" still worked with the new 18.04 base .. you've reminded me to go test them :)

[EDIT]

You'll be happy to know the photography pack still works :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:29:26 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64bit
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2018, 11:35:51 am »
Welcome to the Peppermint Forum TonyBronze.

Offline TonyBronze

• nOOb
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
« Reply #275 on: June 13, 2018, 11:38:21 am »
One thing I forgot to mention is the reason I have just joined the forum after 3 years (apart from the fact I have had no problems so not needed any help).  I joined to find out any news about Peppermint 9.  In all the years I have been using computers I have never been bothered about upgrades to OS's, usually waiting a while for them to settle in before updating myself.

But with Peppermint 9, at 57 years old, I find myself feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive :) 

I fully understand why it's taking a while and am happy that the Peppermint Team are taking time to make sure everything is working before the release.  I have had a sneaky look  at Launchpad and seen the progress and all the hard work you guys are putting into it for which I am really grateful and thank you.

But I am sitting here with my finger poised over the download button.  Partition prepped on my desktop ready to receive  my Christmas present which will be something I actually want instead of a pair of socks or Old Spice aftershave :)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:44:08 am by TonyBronze »
......to infinity and beyond.............

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2018, 12:03:16 pm »
Shouldn't be too long now :)

(bet I've jinxed it now and a major bug shows up ::))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermintOS 9, 64bit
« Reply #277 on: June 13, 2018, 12:17:20 pm »
Hi Guys,

My name is Tony and I am a Peppermint user.

Welcome to Peppermint Land TonyBronze...  like the others mentioned previously, none of that was overly long and I too enjoyed the walk down memory lane. While I didn't find computers useful nor interesting until much later in life, I found the peppermint land of linux much earlier than you. First installed peppermintOne in 2010, quickly wiped WinXP off of my old Toshiba Qosmio's drive and never looked back.

spence
PeppermintOS 9 on my Antec Aria rebuild
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2147/2

& now on my Toshiba Satelite L775D fom 2011

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.