Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 49704 times)

Offline N4RPS

• nOOb
  • Knows Just Enough Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2015, 03:05:11 am »
Hello!

Hey N4RPS, and welcome to the forum :) .. a radio ham eh ?

Yes, indeed. I have a General class license. I started off as KF4ICR, copied enough code to answer enough questions to get Tech Plus (and the vanity call) in '98, and took advantage of the opportunity to upgrade with only the written General exam in 2000. Since my future involves some international travel, an upgrade to Extra is forthcoming because unless you hold an Extra-class ticket, CEPT limits you to Technician privileges.

It all started for me in the spring of '96. You see, my brother was going to take his Technician exam, and I just happened to glean enough out of "Now You're Talking" during the trip to the testing site to pass the exam by one question. Despite his having studied, my bro failed the examby one question, and had to return the next month to test again to finally pass. Of course, he'll NEVER live that down...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Offline N4RPS

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2015, 03:12:33 am »
HAHA Love it - Ain't that the truth  8)

Nothing like truth in advertising, eh?

I already see PM6 as something new to master. The more I play around with Peppermint, the more I like its perfect blend of what I like most about XFCE and LXDE in one platform.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Offline N4RPS

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2015, 03:17:37 am »
Hello!

Hi N4RPS, welcome aboard  ;).  Yeah, we're quite a bit different from other Ubuntu spins.  We truly believe in freedom of choice.  I hope you enjoy the ride  ;)!!

From what I've seen so far here, a great OS and helpful user forums go a long way...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2015, 10:09:19 am »
I already see PM6 as something new to master. The more I play around with Peppermint, the more I like its perfect blend of what I like most about XFCE and LXDE in one platform.

Yep, Peppermint are more than happy to step outside a DE's defaults where we think there are better options that can be integrated into a better whole .. happy to hear you like the approach too :)

Feel free to make any suggestions for improvement though (there's always room for that) .. we welcome input, in fact we positively encourage it ;)

[EDIT]

Talking of improvements - you know when you type something long without looking up at the screen (because like most computer users you never trained as a touch typist), then when you look up you realise you must have accidentally hit the CAPS lock somewhere near the beginning .. why can't you highlight the capital text and hit a button to make it all lower case instead of having to retype it all ? .. most text editors allow you to do it with bold or italics, but not CAPS .. why not, that's the one you're most likely to do accidentally ? ::)

BTW, can you guess what I just did.....

<PCNetSpec steps down from the ranting pulpit feeling somewhat calmer .. whilst at the same time suffering a nagging feeling that someone's going to make him look like a gibbering idiot by pointing out this has always been possible>
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:26:29 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2015, 03:02:47 pm »
Yes, indeed. I have a General class license. I started off as KF4ICR, copied enough code to answer enough questions to get Tech Plus (and the vanity call) in '98, and took advantage of the opportunity to upgrade with only the written General exam in 2000. Since my future involves some international travel, an upgrade to Extra is forthcoming because unless you hold an Extra-class ticket, CEPT limits you to Technician privileges.

Sweet !

I earned my Tech license in '92 - and have kept it current ever since.  I also passed the writtens all the way to General, but never could wrap my mind around the code part - didn't even bother getting tested on it.  Doesn't matter, I guess.  All I do is bounce 2M/440 off the mountaintop repeaters, here in Arizona.  Most of my family are also HAMs too, so at least I have someone to talk to.  We're a fading breed...

Anyway, someday I'll get my General.  I've read that it's easier now.

Offline N4RPS

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2015, 03:08:28 am »
Hello1

Anyway, someday I'll get my General.  I've read that it's easier now.

It certainly is. No more code testing you just take the multiple-guess written ones. As I see it, you don't really get a lot more frequencies to use as an Extra, so were it not for my situation, I wouldn't bother.

Of course, they made the Extra class test more difficult, but considering some of the folks in my neck of the woods who have successfully upgraded, it can't be too bad.

Perhaps we can QSO on Echolink sometime...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2015, 07:58:07 am »
The closest I got to Ham radio was a tweaked Uniden 28-30 radio opened up to 26-30 so it could be used for CB in the UK.

40w was great especially as you were meant to be limited to 4w   Fun times (Childish I know) messing with me m8's on the side bands :P

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VPrPfW1Kwlk/hqdefault.jpg
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline benfnov

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): six
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2015, 03:05:10 pm »
Hello!   My name is Ben, and I live in  just outside Washington DC.     Although LINUX is used at work, I am purely a consumer.  I was intrigued by Peppermint as a way to rejuvenate several elderly laptops that had been abandoned by my family.   I now have three perfectly-workable computers that are sitting around the house for easy access whenever anyone wants to get on the internet to check mail, Facebook, or buy something on Amazon. 

I also very much like the clean and easy-to understand Peppermint interface.  I would assert that it is  much easier to access settings and other tools with Peppermint than is the case with Windows 10.   Speaking of which, I recently purchased a new computer pre-installed with Windows 10.  I am not quite ready to go all-in with Peppermint on this new machine,  but I have installed Peppermint 6 on a USB flash drive to see if there are any  performance  improvements with graphics-heavy applications that have a LINUX version.   I am looking forward to learning more and being part of this interesting community. 

Cheers!

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2015, 03:21:18 pm »
Hi benfnov

Welcome aboard the good ship Peppermint,

Thank you for trying Peppermint, glad to hear you're liking our humble offerings so far and great to hear of these "elderly laptops" getting a new lease of life, I'm sure you'll find this a friendly and helpful community so if you have any problems please don't be afraid to ask you'll find we're more than willing to help, we're always looking for feedback so if you have any suggestions that will improve Peppermint or anything you don't like don't be afraid to speak up, we might snarl but we don't bite  :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2015, 05:07:31 pm »
Hi benfnov, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  It's always nice to have new members.  It's good to know you've rejuvenated three old computers - outstanding work  8)Peppermint also makes a great fit on new machines too.  They start to perform like high octane drag racers.  You'll find that the graphics capability with Peppermint like other OS's, is very dependant on your hardware.  The low overhead certainly helps in optimizing what you have.  As Emegra has already said, if you need something answered or explained, please speak up.  We're here to help  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2015, 06:11:52 am »
Hi benfnov, and welcome to striped candyland :)

Great to hear you're resurrecting old computers from the grave with Peppermint .. and better still that you're enjoying it :)

As has been said, welcome aboard.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2015, 04:04:44 pm »
Welcome aboard, Ben !!!

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2015, 12:46:06 pm »
Hi Ben and Welcome to the best user forum experience bar none.

Oh and as an added bonus  :P  you get a great OS for your machines as well.

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline bubadubadoo

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 8
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2015, 11:44:51 pm »
Hi, I'm Juliet, I'm soon to be 19 and I've been using peppermint for a few years now, I've made a few posts asking for help on here before and  the support I received was awesome :) I figure I should introduce myself to the community if I'm gonna be sticking with this distro for so long

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2015, 02:36:22 am »
Welcome bubadubadoo

WOW bub for short I hope  :P

Don't be a stranger, join in the fun  :D

Zeb...

Linux User #565092