Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 46020 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2015, 05:52:21 pm »
Hi drum, welcome to the Peppermint Forum neighbour  8).  I hope you like our speedy LXDE hybrid.  It's a lot of fun to use  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Dave_D

• nOOb
  • Often wrong, never in doubt. Now with more Cowbell
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2015, 10:34:39 am »
I never did this, so here goes...

Pushing into the retirement-age phase. Been a computer junkie since getting a TRS-80 back in 1980. I'm a developer of commercial real estate for my day job and live in a far-north suburb of Philadelphia. As a dedicated insomniac, I can usually be found at 3AM listening to the Stones on vinyl, AM broadcast band DX, air traffic over the Atlantic on shortwave, making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or trying to install a Linux distro without hosing my Windows partition.

Much to the wife's annoyance, I haven't divested myself of several laptops, a few tablets, a kindle, a Moto G, a rooted HTC Eris, an HTC Trophy Windows Phone, PSP 1000, Kindle and two boxes of PC, several shortwave receivers, a bunch of VHF-UHF scanners....and my pride and joy Timex-Sinclair 1000 complete with 9" B&W TV montor.

Why would I ?   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2015, 10:53:41 am »
You're asking the wrong person here .. I want all my Amiga's back :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline northern

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): (Peppermint-6-20150904
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2015, 10:14:27 pm »
Hi everyone, my name is Jon and I live in the Yukon in Canada. Been using Linux for almost a year and have installed it on all my computers (4).  I have found Peppermint to be a nice balance of all things i want in a  OS.
 Got our 1st computer in the mid 80s, I believe it was an 8088 with a huge 30mb hard drive lol. 

Offline Dave_D

• nOOb
  • Often wrong, never in doubt. Now with more Cowbell
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2015, 10:17:42 pm »
Hi everyone, my name is Jon and I live in the Yukon in Canada. Been using Linux for almost a year and have installed it on all my computers (4).  I have found Peppermint to be a nice balance of all things i want in a  OS.
 Got our 1st computer in the mid 80s, I believe it was an 8088 with a huge 30mb hard drive lol.

northern! Howdy

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 09:30:52 am »
I can't remember whether I actually introduced myself the first time I tried Peppermint (which I think was version two). Regardless, it's been a while since I left the Peppermint fold, so I guess I qualify as a new user/convert.

I live in Idaho, write songs in my spare time, and have been a full-time home Linux user since 2001 (dual-booted with Windows 95 and 98 for a while before that). I started out on Mandrake 8.0, which took me three or four hours to install because the user had to go through various menus to select the software s/he wanted to install. I've used smaller distros (Feather Linux, Libranet, Puppy - before all the variants came along, Vector) and larger distros (Mint, openSuSE, Ubuntu very briefly) and now Peppermint. Over the years, I've managed to tame if not completely overcome my command line phobia  :) but I am certainly still no expert.

Between this community and the videos I've been watching from Linux Help Guy, this seems a great time to be a Peppermint user.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 10:23:49 am »
Welcome back.  It's always great to have another person come back to Peppermint.   :D  I was thinking your username looked familiar, I probably remember you from the old forum.

Offline WaltH

• Know Enough To Be Dangerous
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7 64-bit
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 10:31:02 am »
Welcome back.  It's always great to have another person come back to Peppermint.   :D  I was thinking your username looked familiar, I probably remember you from the old forum.
No doubt. I'm sure I posted there a time or two (or three). It's nice to see the progress that has been made with Peppermint over the years.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 02:28:24 pm »
No doubt. I'm sure I posted there a time or two (or three). It's nice to see the progress that has been made with Peppermint over the years.

I know what you mean.  I've been with Peppermint off and on (100% on now) since the first or second respin of Peppermint One.  It's amazing how this distribution has grown over the past five years.   :)

Offline N4RPS

• nOOb
  • Knows Just Enough Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2015, 07:20:29 pm »
Hello, All!

Kudos to the Peppermint OS development team. After having tried on and off over the years to make Linux work - to no avail, it was Lubuntu 11.04 that was able to get me into using Linux regularly.

My favorite distro is Linux Lite, but it seems to be sluggish on PCs using 1 GB of RAM or less. Even with 2 GB RAM and an SSD, neither LL nor Lubuntu proved to be responsive enough on this machine (HP Mini210-1091NR).

I'm impressed with the way LXPup runs with some snap on a flash drive, plugged into an ancient Compaq Evo N600c with 512 MB RAM, using USB 1.1. However, even though LXPup Tahr is Ubuntu-compatible, it still has somewhat of a learning curve to it.

I thought I might have to go with LXPup for the HP as well, but then I tried out Peppermint OS. I'm not at all into cloud computing, but since Peppermint's cloud-based approach means far less bloat than anything else Ubuntu, I believe that this is a part of why Peppermint is so much faster. Since the developers of PCManFM, in their eminent wisdom, no longer trust us with root user support out of the box, the fact that unlike Lubuntu, PCManFM is not insidiously intertwined with it is a real plus...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2015, 07:34:14 pm »
Hey N4RPS, and welcome to the forum :) .. a radio ham eh ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2015, 07:40:28 pm »
73 DE N4RPS

Welcome aboard !!!

51's N7XVK   ;D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2015, 08:25:57 pm »
Hi N4RPS, welcome aboard  ;).  Yeah, we're quite a bit different from other Ubuntu spins.  We truly believe in freedom of choice.  I hope you enjoy the ride  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2015, 01:22:05 am »
Welcome N4RPS

Knows Just Enough Linux to be DANGEROUS

HAHA Love it - Ain't that the truth  8)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline N4RPS

• nOOb
  • Knows Just Enough Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 6
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2015, 02:42:10 am »
Hello!

Welcome aboard !!!

51's N7XVK   ;D

As in the Las Vegas 51s?

73 DE N4RPS