Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 49710 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #360 on: July 02, 2019, 07:36:34 pm »
Thanks!  It's not too shabby of a machine.  Didn't seem worthy of disposing of it.  Battery was a little tired out so a new one is on the way.  Now I'm already thinking about a 2GB RAM upgrade and a 250GB SSD.

Heh! I have an almost identical situation with my beloved Asus Eee PC !000HD - unworthy of disposal - tired battery - I upgraded the RAM to 2GB, some years ago - and recently upgraded the drive to a 'Munchkin' Reactor 250GB SSD. I dual boot Peppermint 10 & winders XP Home. LoL

Seems a little odd, I know, but I've always liked for the netbook form-factor. Wish somebody made one with an Intel i7 CPU, but that's a pipe dream.

Have fun!  :)

Offline newb85

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #361 on: October 17, 2019, 12:23:32 pm »
I'm Aaron from northeastern Indiana (U.S.). 

I was first introduced to Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex when I was partway through college (in '08) and my Compaq desktop running WinXP was running like molasses.  I made the guy from the apartment (flat for you Brits) above mine set the machine up dual-boot so I could keep using Windows if I needed it.  Soon, in the process of upgrading, I accidentally overwrote the Windows partition, and it took me a couple months to notice.

I used to spend quite a bit more time tinkering than I do now.  I made the jump to Peppermint because I had recently started using web aps more, and I was impressed with how lightweight the Peppermint distro is.  My Ubuntu 14.04 system (which I needed to upgrade) had gotten a little too slow for my liking.

So far, I'm liking the community here, even if it is a lot smaller than the Ubuntu community.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #362 on: October 17, 2019, 02:22:27 pm »

Soon, in the process of upgrading, I accidentally overwrote the Windows partition, and it took me a couple months to notice.

Welcome, newb85.  That's a terrific story!  :)

My Ubuntu 14.04 system (which I needed to upgrade) had gotten a little too slow for my liking.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Ubuntu can be a bit clunky.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #363 on: October 17, 2019, 06:09:27 pm »
So far, I'm liking the community here, even if it is a lot smaller than the Ubuntu community.

Thanks Aaron, sometimes 'smaller' can equate to 'friendlier and more personal' :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec