Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 49712 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2018, 01:15:34 am »
Nearly eleven years in The Netherlands for me.  I'm also shivering.  The amount of rain we get, makes the UK look positively arid  :o!  This year is planned to be my first visit back to Blighty ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2018, 01:17:37 am »
"We try to be welcoming .. at least for the first week, then we come to get ya >:D"
(just kiddin)

Yep we suck em in and we spit em out

Only joking :)

Welcome aboard all newcomers,

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2018, 01:27:05 am »
Hi williamthe1st,

Welcome to the Forums.   I do believe we have a few members who tip the scales at or around 67 but I cannot name them. I will be 60 this year.

Re "Blighty", don't get yourself is a tissy over it.  Yeah it's "Home" but you seem to have found a new "home" now  :)

As for giving back to the Community - you already are by chatting here and asking questions.  The answers supplied may help someone.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2018, 02:29:20 am »
Hi williamthe1st,

Welcome to the Forums.   I do believe we have a few members who tip the scales at or around 67 but I cannot name them. I will be 60 this year.

Re "Blighty", don't get yourself is a tissy over it.  Yeah it's "Home" but you seem to have found a new "home" now  :)

As for giving back to the Community - you already are by chatting here and asking questions.  The answers supplied may help someone.

Regards Zeb...

Hi Zeb

Thanks for the welcome , I'm starting to all ready feel at home , your still a spring chicken at the young age of 59  ;D . I do miss some things from back home in Blighty , mainly food related , here rice with every thing can get a bit monotonous  ::) and due to a past stomach problem I have to avoid any thing spicy  :'(

William

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:39 am »
"We try to be welcoming .. at least for the first week, then we come to get ya >:D"
(just kiddin)

Yep we suck em in and we spit em out

Only joking :)

Welcome aboard all newcomers,

Graeme

Oh no ......Only one weeks grace then I'm on my own  :'(

William

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2018, 07:46:58 am »
May be one day I will return to my home town where when you meet some one they say '' Ey up me duck y'alreet '' can you guess where my old home town was  ;D

My guess would be somewhere in the east midlands ? .. that statement starts and with midlands colloquialisms, but if it were the west midlads the middle would likely be "cock" or "cocker" .. or am I totally off the mark because "Y'alreet" could also be much further north. :-\

[EDIT]

Returning after 25 years .. I think you'll be shocked at the extent of the nanny state and cultural "snowflake" attitude where everyone is now so eager to be offended by something/anything that they actively seek out things to grumble about :(

Seriously, I've been here for that 25 years and I don't really recognise England much any more .. or maybe that's just 'me' getting old and grumpy :'(

I think what I'm trying to say is if you're expecting the England of your youth, you're likely to be disappointed .. you're not missing much.

Oh, and if I'm right about the midlands .. it's all balti and rice there now anyway :))
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:58:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2018, 07:53:17 am »
I would have guessed somewhere in Yorkshire ?
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:15 am »
Yeah I see your point Zeb, the "Ey up" definitely points there, Y'alreet" could also be Gordie (though not so much the "Eh yup") .. I guess it could be anywhere Midlands --> northward.

It was the "duck" that made me think East Midlands or possibly South Yorkshire such as Nottingham/Chesterfield/Sheffield kinda area.

Now I wanna know ?  ???
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:12:01 am by PCNetSpec, Reason: To mess with Graeme »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2018, 08:57:16 am »
"y'alreet"

Got to be a Jeordie

Oh by the way Mark I got you this time it is spelt Jeordie a Gordie is a lassie as far as I'm aware and if you dont believe me
look here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie

Graeme
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:02:49 am by PCNetSpec, Reason: Because I can .. MWUHAHAHAHA :) »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2018, 09:34:11 am »
May be one day I will return to my home town where when you meet some one they say '' Ey up me duck y'alreet '' can you guess where my old home town was  ;D

My guess would be somewhere in the east midlands ? .. that statement starts and with midlands colloquialisms, but if it were the west midlads the middle would likely be "cock" or "cocker" .. or am I totally off the mark because "Y'alreet" could also be much further north. :-\

[EDIT]

Returning after 25 years .. I think you'll be shocked at the extent of the nanny state and cultural "snowflake" attitude where everyone is now so eager to be offended by something/anything that they actively seek out things to grumble about :(

Seriously, I've been here for that 25 years and I don't really recognise England much any more .. or maybe that's just 'me' getting old and grumpy :'(

I think what I'm trying to say is if you're expecting the England of your youth, you're likely to be disappointed .. you're not missing much.

Oh, and if I'm right about the midlands .. it's all balti and rice there now anyway :))

Sadly I don't have any remaining relatives alive back in Blighty and most of my small band of close  friends have either passed away or emigrated to different parts of the world , so getting current feed back on how things are progressing back home is difficult apart from reading the some times biased British news articles.

Personally I did not leave England because I was dissatisfied with life there or had any issues with rules or regulations and the some times frustrating red tape. At the time I left I considered my home to be a safe environment and generally not an expensive place to live.

My home town was inhabited with genuine down to earth people who had a strong sense of pride and community , people who my father would call salt of the earth.

One thing I can honestly say hand on heart after living in many different country's is that no where is perfect , there is no heaven on earth , having said that although I'm currently living in Thailand I do miss many things about good old Blighty , but like you so aptly pointed out may be the things I once loved and now reminisce about are now long gone and the Blighty I once knew is sadly no more. 

Thailand is a wonderful place to live but , yes there's all ways a but .  But you need a new set of knowledge skills to navigate the some times awkward path to make the most of things . The thorn in the side of most long term expats residing in Thailand relates to the Immigration rules and health issues like health insurance .  Having pointed that out there are many positive aspects about life in the land of smiles especially when related to the cost of living .

As for where my home town was , here's a clue .

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2018, 09:37:05 am »
I would have guessed somewhere in Yorkshire ?

Sorry , Eey ba gum Lad  ;D

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2018, 09:39:17 am »
Yeah I see your point Zeb, the "Ey up" definitely points there, Y'alreet" could also be Gordie (though not so much the "Eh yup") .. I guess it could be anywhere Midlands --> northward.

It was the "duck" that made me think East Midlands or possibly South Yorkshire such as Nottingham/Chesterfield/Sheffield kinda area.

Now I wanna know ?  ???

So near Me Duck  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:12:58 am by PCNetSpec »

Offline williamthe1st

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2018, 10:16:07 am »
I thought I would show you guys today's tea time treat  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2018, 11:02:02 am »
Graeme, you're right and I was wrong, please accept my humble apologies, I should know not to disagree with your superior wisdom and I'll never do it again
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:53:17 am by emegra, Reason: Because Marks not the only one who can alter a post »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2018, 11:11:02 am »
Cloughie .. Dottigab (sorry I have a cold) ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec