Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 21577 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 64bit
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2017, 06:06:28 pm »
Welcome cfx795 Peppermint has been "just working for me since 2010... I've never looked back... You'll definitely find the best forum support here among the PeppermintLegions ... Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask of us all here!
spence
Peppermint 8 on my Antec Aria
QuadCore Intel i7-7700 rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #196 on: October 04, 2017, 12:01:32 pm »
Welcome Mike, you can (sometimes) create a LiveUSB on a Chromebook but it requires you enable developer mode (then use 'dd' from the freshly enabled terminal) which will erase all your changes in ChromeOS and set you back to factory defaults.

Can't you get temporary access to a Linux or Windows PC ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #197 on: October 04, 2017, 08:54:28 pm »
Welcome Mike, you can (sometimes) create a LiveUSB on a Chromebook but it requires you enable developer mode (then use 'dd' from the freshly enabled terminal) which will erase all your changes in ChromeOS and set you back to factory defaults.

Can't you get temporary access to a Linux or Windows PC ?

Hi there, and yes, my Dad has my old(er) Linux machine back in Elkhart, IN, and I'll be going back there for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. (One or the other, or both...) This thing probably won't be up and running before then, so that will be fine. I almost always use unetbootin, although I think there are others. There's the money thing, but then also Intel's coming out with Coffee Lake, and I don't intend to make any firm decisions about the guts of my new machine until I see what's shakin' there. So it's sort of on track for late 2017.

Offline tetricky

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2017, 02:28:35 pm »
Wanted to take the chance to introduce myself here, because I've been utilising the forum as a resource already.  Bad manners, apologies all around.

My background comes from the old BBC mirco/spectrum days, and taking Computer studies in the first early years when it was offered as an (as then) O'Level (in the UK). I graduated from a Physics and Computer Electronics combined science degree in '90, and did postgraduate study in microelectronic systems and Telecommunications, worked in optical fibre research for a short time, and later studied a business degree. I worked as Systems Manager in a medium sized engineering business for many years, and recently moved into consultancy (systems, projects, services).

My computer background interweaves both hobby and professional use, and for many years I ran a corporate windows network, with linux servers (phone switch, fileservers, MRP/ERP, application servers, domain controllers, and briefly an openstack based data centre). Personally I worked with linux on the desktop with (initially) Suse and then ubuntu when it came about. I've dabbled with various distributions, and use redhat/centos as much as my preferred debian.

I rather like peppermint as a clean and resource efficient desktop both for low specced machines, but also potentially as a clean desktop for an offering to small businesses that I'm working on based around containerised applications, and an ldap/freeipa based authentication system to free small businesses from the complexity, licensed tie in, and lack of control, of other more popular platforms.

My username here is from a football nickname.  I support forest, and we are known as trickies.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2017, 04:05:57 pm »
Cool, you sound like just the kind of guy that may be able to suggest some stuff for Peppermint that'd make us more attractive to businesses .. and possibly work with us to implement it.

Oh and now I've finished being all selfish .. Welcome :)
(sometimes I can be so ignorant :)))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tetricky

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2017, 04:14:04 pm »
Okay, how about this.

A way of integrating online accounts, in the way gnome tools do (multiple accounts, gdive, dropbox, etc).  A connector for ldap authentication and logon integrated into the environment. (apologies if they're there...it's early days for me).

No need to apologise. We all do things for our own reasons.  I'm very happy you have yours for doing peppermint.  It's very good.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2017, 04:20:23 pm »
I'll flag this topic as unread .. hopefully that'll remind me to come back and take a look at those suggestions once we get the PM8 resin out the door.

TVM :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2017, 06:13:23 pm »
Welcome aboard, tetricky !  :)

Offline tetricky

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Today at 09:34:27 am »
I'll flag this topic as unread .. hopefully that'll remind me to come back and take a look at those suggestions once we get the PM8 resin out the door.

TVM :)

I'm going to address this in "advanced Topics", to save you the bother.