Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 39371 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 01:44:15 am »
Hi DerrianWolf, welcome back to the Peppermint Forum.  That rig is a bit of beast - eh :P! Nice one ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline DerrianWolf

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 03:28:43 am »
Cheers guys, I'd originally planned on spending between four and five hundred quid on a moderate gaming pc from amazon, when by chance I spotted this one on a local listing site for only £250
And she's a beast alright, even with windows 7 (which I'll have to keep on the smaller drive, simply for my gaming needs.) She runs like an absolute dream, I'm hoping that P5 will double the power.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 07:19:53 am »
Please let us know how you get on with PM5 :)

It'll be interesting to see if it makes a huge difference or if on such a powerful system it's a "less" noticeable improvement than on a weaker system.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DerrianWolf

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 02:10:33 pm »
ooh pretty snappy  :D I just set up a LAMP Server on the machine as well.  :)

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 04:46:15 pm »
Hi everyone, my name is Theunis - although since 6 months of age I have been Tienie.

I am 33 and live in East London, South Africa. I work at a computer sales chain store as a hardware salesman, although some times I help out in the technical side when needed. We sell Windows PC's and Macs, and occasionally I will find someone who knows Linux.

I have been using Peppermint since ICE was the current flavour. Before that I was using Ubuntu, played around with Mandrake, Puppy and a few others. I have found that few distros are as easy to use as Peppermint. I am not an expert and am still learning, but I see that as a good thing.

Welcome to all the newcomers and thanks for sharing here.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 10:43:02 am »
Hi guys, I tried Peppermint-5, a few months ago as part of my distro hopping experience when I fall out love with buntu's unity, its well known flaws appeared to be occurring with all buntu based releases, Arch, Deb and RPM's have their own issues/foibles.

I found Peppermint to be vice-free and functional but Spartan. At the time I didn't have the knowledge to turn it into something special, I only had Unity as my yardstick.

In search of the perfect desktop system, that would offer Encrypted/LVM installation, stability, then my new mantra, minus the bloat-ware, (ISO files have doubled in size since buntu's 12.04), I could turn in to my own little piece of heaven. 

I had the answer all the time, D'oah..!

The tutorials I found enlightening due their concise, clear presentation and instruction. I was able FIRST time to remove “light-locker” install the “screen saver”, install “auto-start” function, then edit the “gedit text editor” correctly. Ditto with the new “Login screen”, the “.face” avatar, find new “Widgets” and “Icons” to freshen up the appearance of my desktop.

Thank you, I hope to have many more years of vice- free and functional usage, albeit with a desktop now to my liking. I really need to brush up on bash skills, and learn the Linux way.
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 12:05:15 pm »
Hi cavy, welcome aboard  ;). Its great to hear you are enjoying Peppermint Five.  We think its a great distro to build upon and really make your own.  Peppermint Five should give you years of reliable, hassle free service.  If you have any issues or questions don't hesitate to use the forums.  Someone will be here to help you out - have fun  ;).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:09:18 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »
Hiya caxy, and welcome to Peppermint Candyland :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline geoponer

• nOOb
  • Plagued by a GMA500-powered netbook
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5 (32-bit)
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 01:37:43 am »
My name is Vassilis and I live in Athens, Greece. I came across PeppermintOS while trying to find the best lightweight Linux distribution for my terribly slow Acer Aspire One 751h netbook a couple of years ago (version 4 back then). I tried several of them but I stuck with Peppermint as I found it the most well-balanced one, offering full functionality, great user experience for a Linux amateur like me (I have no experience with Linux at all) and still it is light on resources. I have to admit that even now I am cheating on Peppermint, testing other distros that might be even more responsive (e.g. Lubuntu) but I also admit that in such cases I miss the functionality that Peppermint OS offers...

Unfortunately I have no geeky desktop to share, as I tend to keep everything as simple as possible. I have tried to use conky in the past (I love the functionality it offers) but never managed to achieve what I saw in other desktops so I quickly gave up.

I am glad to be a part of this great and helpful community; even though it is hard for me to contribute (due to my absolute lack of knowledge about Linux), I enjoy reading posts, getting ideas and how-to's and of course try to spread the word about Peppermint as much as I can (combined with installations of Peppermint OS, where possible!).
Acer Aspire One 751h: 1,3GHz Atom Z520 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, GMA 500 GPU...

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 02:41:02 am »
Hi Vassilis, your enthusiasm towards the Peppermint project is wonderfully refreshing  8)!!  You have already made a great contribution by introducing others to Peppermint Five - kudos  ;)!!  The "techie" bits come with time.  I've only been using Linux for about 18 months and Peppermint for just under a year.  I'm still very much a nOOb.  The learning process is immensely satisfying and rewarding though  ;D.  Many thanks and keep spreading the word  ;)!!

Offline artman

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4,5
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 04:00:05 pm »
Hi,
My name is Henrik and I am from Sweden.
I have been a pepperminter since Peppermint 3. Back in the 80s I used C64 and Amiga. 90s it was Apple. 2000s Windows. 2010s Peppermint and that is what I call progression  :D (well I need to have Windows in my work so dual-boot is a savior.

Professionally I am a professor at KTH (Royal Institute of Technology) in Human-Computer Interaction. My programming skills is however totally outdated and now I mainly work with research about usability acquisition processes in systems development, design learning, design of cock-pits and command and control units.

In my sparetime I have interests in aquariums, beer-brewing and music (old-school industrial, independent rock/pop, and reggae) and modding computers, cell-phones and other technologies.

I have Peppermint  on most of my (old)computers at home, dual boot (Peppermint/win) on my work computer and I try out different Linux-distros all the time. On my phones i prefer Android MIUI. I really like my Xiaomi Mi3.

Well that is bits and pieces about me!

/Henrik

Offline Kunkuru

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 04:47:27 pm »
Hi I'm Kunkuru. 27 from New Zealand. Been on a few Linux Distros but mostly Ubuntu. Not an advanced by any means, but I do enjoy using Linux. This is my first go on Peppermint. I'm liking it alot and I think I will stick with it for a while.  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 08:25:18 am »
Hi geoponer, artman, and Kunkuru, and welcome :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 12:58:38 pm »
Welcome guys, it is amazing how Linux can unite people from different countries :)
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:05 am »
The Peppermint candy is delicious.  :P
I am a person supporting some Linux distro in Japan.
And I have come across appetizing candy. There is eating this!  :D

There were a great many Windows users until now in Japan.
The peoples who were going to install Linux in Windows XP PC appeared one after another in Japan 1 year ago.
I would increase Japanese users of Peppermint when I came across Peppermint at this time.

But it cannot be late even if I go now!
I tell a Japanese users from now on.
"I found delicious Peppermint candy" ;)

I carry Peppermint to Japan!