Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 48868 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2016, 04:05:37 pm »
Hi tppthpthp
Geesh - say that three times when you're drunk :P
Welcome to the forum from another old fart (57)
Your questions cannot possibly as silly as mine were when I started Linux.
Jump right in and ask away, its better to ask and get it right than ask the clever ones to fix a mistake  :)
Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:52:09 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »
Hi tppthpthp welcome to the Peppermint Forum young 'un  ;D.  This is the place to learn about Linux and have a whole load of fun in the process.  There's no such thing as a stupid question here; so ask away  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2016, 06:58:27 pm »
New member to the forum [...] Currently using a [...] couple of Dell D630's.

Always glad to meet a fellow Dell D630 user   ;D

My 'road warrior' (mil.spec. laptop I use while traveling) is a Dell ATG D630.  Built like a tank and flies like the wind on Peppermint.

Welcome aboard !

Offline tppthpthp

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 & 7
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2016, 08:10:22 am »
Thank you everyone for the welcome.

Hi tppthpthp
Geesh - say that three times when you're drunk :P

The tppthpthp is something I picked up from comics when a character would blow a raspberry.........
I use it as my email too. It's fun when someone asks for your address and you can blow a raspberry then say "at ####.com".

As for questions, I thought I had one, but I found a partial answer after doing a search and installed ARandR.
tppthpthp aka: "bob"

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2016, 08:20:13 am »
Very easy to say 5 times when drunk then .. in fact depending on indulgence sometimes it's all one can say :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline memelad2005

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2016, 12:52:23 am »
PeppermintOS has to be my favourite distro. I just installed it now and, I gotta say, it's beautiful. The DE is set up so nicely, the black theme is great and easy on the eyes. It's so quick aswell! The software is just as good; Ice is a great piece of software. Even thought I don't use it, I can see it's potential to be great for the people who do. It's similar to what has to be my favourite feature: how easy it is to switch drivers. I expected to have to find a tutorial on how to download proprietary Nvidia drivers on peppermint(it was a nightmare on opensuse), but lo and behold it's as easy as changing it in a GUI. I honestly cannot think of any negative critism to this operating system. Great job guys.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2016, 06:40:15 am »
Thx, memelad2005, and welcome aboard !  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2016, 07:08:25 am »
Hi memelad2005 and welcome to the forum :)

We're happy to hear Peppermint is cutting it for you, thanks for taking the time to let us know.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2016, 07:13:54 am »
PeppermintOS has to be my favourite distro. I just installed it now and, I gotta say, it's beautiful. The DE is set up so nicely, the black theme is great and easy on the eyes. It's so quick aswell! The software is just as good; Ice is a great piece of software. Even thought I don't use it, I can see it's potential to be great for the people who do. It's similar to what has to be my favourite feature: how easy it is to switch drivers. I expected to have to find a tutorial on how to download proprietary Nvidia drivers on peppermint(it was a nightmare on opensuse), but lo and behold it's as easy as changing it in a GUI. I honestly cannot think of any negative critism to this operating system. Great job guys.
Hi memelad2005
and welcome to the Forums. Reading your post above just made me remember the first time I found Peppermint 6 and "Everything" just worked  :D :D :D
It was such a relief and now we have an even BETTER experience with Peppermint 7
Enjoy the Peppermint Experience
Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Fishman Loves Linux
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 64-bit
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2016, 01:18:13 pm »
Howdy All! My name is Fishman, most folks just call me Fish. I have been using Linux since 2006 and been having a blast ever since. I am also a YouTube Linux content provider. I look forward to experimenting more with Peppermint Linux.
I love it when a plan comes together!!!

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2016, 01:58:53 pm »
Hiya fishmanluvslinux

Welcome to the Forums and I look forward to hearing what you think about Peppermint OS.

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2016, 02:05:34 pm »
Hi Fish, welcome to the Nut House  ;D!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2016, 02:12:51 pm »
Welcome aboard, Fish !

Oddly enough, I have a friend named Fish -- best VW tuner in the Phoenix area -- VW street rods, racecars, dragsters, all things VeeDub.  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2016, 07:00:45 pm »
Hello Fish, and welcome to Peppermint.  I hope you have lots of fun here.  We all enjoy our terrific little distribution and forum a lot.  I hope you have a blast here too.   ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Skara Brae

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2016, 03:36:12 pm »
Hello to all Pepperminters,

I am... well... Skara Brae, from the country with the best chocolate, the best beer and the best french fries in the entire universe.

I vaguely remember struggling not so successfully with SUSE Linux 5 (or was it 6?), and later having more success with Mandrake Linux 9 (alongside Windows ME - that's how long ago that is).

As many other people, I started with Ubuntu/Xubuntu, and then switched to (the wonderful) Linux Mint (and to Debian "jessie"), when Canonical came with that horrible Unity (and Debian with the just-as-horrible Gnome 3 - long live xfce and fluxbox.).

Also nicely running OS X El Capitan on a "refurbished, mid-2011" iMac, while I still have my iMac G5 from 2004 with OS X "Tiger" (very obsolete nowadays, but still working fine, knock on wood). I will not mention my two few-of-years old computers with Windows Vista on them, one of which (even) is my casual, mid-range gaming PC.

Oh, I also have an old HP machine with XP, Mint 13 xfce and Bunsenlabs in "triple boot" around here. I think that I am having too many computers :)

Anyway, I came across PeppermintOS only a few weeks ago, and after having reinstalled XP and Debian last week (after messing up GRUB like a n00b), I installed Peppermint 7 on a spare partition. It is running quite nicely on this old Core2Duo machine with 2 GB RAM and its Intel "onboard video" of mine.

I had a few backup plans ready, in case I would find Peppermint 7 a failure (FreeBSD? Fedora? Xubuntu?), but it seems that Peppermint is here to stay :-)

A job WELL DONE by the Peppermint creators. They can put on their gorilla suit and beat their chest without having to feel embarrassed. Peppermint 7 works fine (for nearly two hours), and it looks lovely. (Love the wallpapers.)

Beautiful!
Registered Linux User #495429