Choose style:

Author Topic: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic  (Read 21575 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:44:14 am »
We hope you're enjoying your stay and having fun with our distribution and browsing the forums. We like to think we're a friendly community and we're ready to help support you with hardware or software problems, share geeky screen captures of our desktops, and chat about all things Linux and otherwise.

This topic is for all members, new or veteran, newbie or guru, casual or power user, to introduce themselves to the crowd, if they like. We're all keen to get to know our community, and that's what this is for.

By the way, it's not really 'obligatory' ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:39:34 pm by PCNetSpec, Reason: changed spelling in title »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 7
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction Topic
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:59:13 am »
My Name is Robert, I was first introduced to Linux way back when in 2006 to an Ubuntu distro... I was happy running Ubuntu on all my machines that were older until Ubuntu switched to the unity desktop environment....  At this point I sought out other distros and was told to try Peppermint and a few others on my older machines... I still run peppermint 3 on these machines... I have come to enjoy the fact that the Peppermint forum is like an extended family, and even though there is some kidding around in the posts, they always seem to come up with the answers I need in a fast and timely fashion...  Their Forum is what makes them one of the most popular distros out there, the support is incredible....  Thank you one and all here at Peppermint for an enjoyable linux experience....   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 7 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:23:47 am »
Me...

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Ageing beardy/hippy/biker from Cornwall England, with a love for all things 'Linux' .. I enjoy helping others get to grips with Linux in general, but more specifically Peppermint, so any assistance I give is as much for selfish reasons as any kind of altruism ;)

Anyway, good to know you all .. we have a GREAT team here who you'll find both friendly and helpful, so give us a shout if we can do anything for you :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:38:31 am by PCNetSpec, Reason: removed all admmissions of morris dancing :) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64bit
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:12 pm »
Hi guys

My name is Graeme I'm a 54 year old motor mechanic from Dundee, Scotland, father of 2 beautiful daughters and grandfather to a beautiful wee girl, finding myself getting grumpier as each year passes or at least so my daughters tell me , I enjoy messing about with computers and anything Linux although I wouldn't consider myself tech savvy but enjoy helping out where I can.

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Re: The 'obligatory' forum members Introduction topic
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:11:01 pm »
Hello all. My name is Kendall Weaver and I'm a 30 year old programmer and photographer from Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA (just south of Asheville). A few years ago my friend Shane and I got to talking about desktop Linux over some beers and ended up starting Peppermint OS and it's been a fun ride ever since. I have a wonderful girlfriend named Rachel and we have a dog named Oscar who might be the most timid chihuahua in the world. My photography company is called Kendall Weaver Imaging LLC and I specialize in portraiture and travel photography. Feel free to check me out at http://www.kendallweaver.com/. When I can get away from work I greatly prefer to spend my time swimming in rivers, tending to my pepper plants, or hanging out at the local public house. For the most part I'm a simple guy and I try to live a simple life. It's my pleasure to offer Peppermint to the world and I'm eternally grateful to the other members of the team who contribute their time and energy to helping make this project what it is.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline TonyB

• I'm right by the ocean in sunny KZN, South Africa
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 02:29:09 pm »
I'm not sure I should be allowed in such illustrious company...

I'm Tony, aged 64, an Englishman from Kent, UK now living just outside Durban, South Africa. My wife comes from Peckham, South-East London (though she prefers to call it 'East Dulwich') & we have adult 3 daughters.

I had no experience of computers whatsoever until I bought a PC in 2007. That lasted precisely 2 years until the motherboard and hard drives rusted away (I live literally across the road from the sea in a very humid climate).

So I bought a laptop. My first introduction to Linux came when Microsoft asked me for an extortionate amount to permanently add MS Office to this new laptop after their free trial period had expired. My natural curiosity and an inner voice told me to google possible alternatives and I discovered (in those days) OpenOffice, which I downloaded and found to be almost the same as the MS proprietary alternative.

From then on I was hooked....... "if I can find a free version of Office, maybe there's a free browser"   Actually, of course, there are several, and apparently they're all a bit more secure.  And then the BIG step was when I discovered operating systems, in particular Ubuntu.

My journey took me to Linux Mint & thence to Peppermint, though I've installed & discarded other distros along the way.

I completely agree with others who say that Peppermint has such a friendly forum and I firmly believe that, although my level of knowledge is pretty poor, it is my duty to repay the community by chipping in with answers to (simple) questions wherever I can. Unfortunately, many of the requests are simply too technical for me to venture an opinion, but I'm often stalking you all in an effort to gain more knowledge.

So I hope you don't mind too much that I'm here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:44:26 am by TonyB »

Offline Dragonsblood

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 4
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 09:35:55 am »
I'm Chase aka Dragonsblood. 32 year old security guard and aspiring writer. I was introduced to Linux in college in 2007 and found Peppermint OS 4 in 2013 while recovering from Celiac disease. Recently installed Peppermint OS 5 and is hasn't disappointed me yet!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 09:43:40 am »
Hi Chase, and welcome to the forum :)

Happy to hear you're enjoying Peppermint 5 :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rexbouwense

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:44:14 am »
Hi.  I'm Rex.  I did have Peppermint 4 on my netbook, but hadn't been back to the forum for a while and then to my surprise I couldn't log on to the "old" forum but there was a "new" forum.  OK.  I was looking to download 5 and see what the user responses to the new version were.
Rex

Online mac

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 02:28:27 pm »
Welcome to the new forum, rexbouwense and to P5
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 03:21:23 pm »
+1 .. welcome back :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline gurdonark

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Gurdonark
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 10:38:00 pm »
Hi all. I'm Robert Nunnally. I live in Allen, Texas, about 25 miles north of Dallas. Though I've had a little linux netbook for a few years, my time as a heavy linux user dates closer to 18 months.

I work as a commercial litigation attorney during the day. My avocation is making electronica music which I release under Creative Commons licenses on netlabels. I also like bird watching and tournament chess.

My wife and I have been married for 24 years. don't have kids,  but we do have a neat little dog we adopted at SPCA.

I am not a power user and not a coder. I rarely try to code in anything more complex than Logo.  :). I use linux because I believe in sharing culture and liberal licensing. Also, I find it easy and fun to use.  I'm even able sometimes to diagnose and solve my own problems.   ;D

I'm excited to put Peppermint 5 on, as now I run my laptop on Peppermint 4. I run my desktop on Fedora 20, and run Porteus on a USB stick when I travel for work with my older, Windows laptop. I like LXDE and lightweight programs and gear.

I like the forum here because folks are helpful and patient.

Offline sandstormzach

• nOOb
  • Linux Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 01:54:50 pm »
I'm Zach, I'm probably one of the youngest people here at age 21 and I've been using Linux for about 8 months or so. I am a serial OS switcher, mostly favoring Elementary OS and Ubuntu Gnome, and am currently running Peppermint 5, which is going well so far. I'm not the most tech-savvy person but I enjoy tweaking every little thing on my desktop that I can.

Despite getting my Bachelor's degree at age 20, I'm stuck working part-time as a cashier. When I'm not working I enjoy doing various nerdy things (playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading tabletop RPG books, etc). I'm not the most interesting person and I probably can't help with any technical problems, but I do enjoy reading the discussions.

Offline DerrianWolf

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 07:58:12 pm »
Well I'll be damned, shiney new forum not sure if anyone remembers me and my acer aspire one

Anyways I have a new rig, a custom built Pentium I7 with 10GB DDR3 and 2GB GDDR5, 1 x 120GB SSD 1 x 250GB SSD 1 x 500GB HDD

The 120 has win 7 installed, and the 250 I'll be hooking up with Peppermint.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:51 pm »
Now that's a computer  :o .. sommat tells me Peppermint will run "reasonably" well on it .. shouldn't strain it too much  ;)

Oh, and welcome to the new forum.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:19:00 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec