Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint philosophy  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Mintmag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Peppermint philosophy
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:30:14 am »
Hi there, so when I was installing installing Peppermint into a VM machine a windows came up and said some rather interesting things about the Peppermint philosophy. Something about having more choice and control over installing programs.

Peppermint feels very similar to Linux Mint Mate edition, but how do they differ?

Also what did it mean by having more control over how you install programs. I'm very interested in this.

Does Peppermint still use repositories as a main means of installing software?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Peppermint philosophy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:44:02 pm »
Hi Mintmag, welcome :)

The Peppermint philosophy is about not choosing major software packages for the user, but letting them choose the ones that suit them best and install them. So you don't have LibreOffice pre-installed for example, or a host of other stuff that many distros come with. I use OpenOffice myself so I didn't have to remove anything before installing that.

You can use Synaptic Package Manager to see what's in the repositories. There's also Software Manager, which is more like an app store, or you can install from the terminal or by downloading a .deb file, adding another repo, etc. So there's nothing unusual in the methods of actually installing software available to you.

The other thing is to use the included ICE software to make a site-specific browser or SSB. This allows you to use a website you frequently visit as if it was an app, with its own launcher in your menu and/or on the panel.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 12:55:31 pm »
Well said, murraymint. You beat me to it.  ;)

I would like to add that the Ice program, which is used to create and manage SSBs, is developed in house.  While a few other distros have adopted it, it's different than what most distros offer.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 04:12:13 pm »
Peppermint has FULL access to all the software that Ubuntu does, in fact it uses the Ubuntu repos (and a small PPA of our own) .. it also has ICE which will effectively turn any web app into what appears and behaves as a standalone "app".

Yet Peppermint makes no choices of pre-installed "application" software for you .. that choice is YOURS, not ours, installing software is always easier than removing it cleanly, so our ethos is simply to provide the tools to easily build Peppermint up as YOU see fit but not to preload it with "applications" you may not want.

We can achieve this and still have a functional Live image by using ICE web apps which barely take up any local space, and are super simple to CLEANLY remove.

That's our philosophy in a nutshell .. Peppermint puts the Ubuntu repos and web apps on an equal footing and without limitation, but it's YOURS to build up as YOU wish, not ours.

In a smaller nutshell, Peppermint is about USER choice.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:16:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Mintmag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:25:30 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me guys. Peppermint still comes with apps pre installed though right? Like Firefox and VLC.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 04:53:12 pm »
Only applications that serve what the vast majority (if not everyone) would consider a NECESSARY function that can't be reproduced with a web app ;)

A web browser, general purpose media player, image and document viewers, and a simple text editor are pretty much it though.

[EDIT]

Don't get us wrong, we're not saying our ethos is "correct" for everyone, but it suits our niche and there are plenty of fully loaded distros out there if that's what the user chooses .. we're not out to rule the world or force our ethos on anyone.

Peppermint is what it is, but can be built up however YOU want, nothing more .. it's about user choice / options / customisability that's easy to use yet without limitation .. be that through web apps, local apps, or any mixture of the two .. the choice is YOURS ;)

Think of Peppermint as a starting point to your OWN system .. minimal pre-installed "application" software but through the use of ICE and web apps without the loss of functionality usually seen in other minimalist distros.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:32:03 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 07:33:50 pm »
Hi Mintmag, welcome to the Peppermint Forum  ;).  Yes, Peppermint 7 comes preloaded with both Firefox and VLCFirefox has replaced the Chromium Browser as the default web browser.  This is due to Chromium Browser dropping 32-bit support.  To accommodate this change, our in house Ice application has been modified to work with Firefox.  Fortunately, Firefox still provides supports for both 32-bit and 64-bit machines.  VLC is also part of the minimal default lineup.  It serves a dual purpose as both a video player and an audio player.  The rest is really up to the individual user.  Team Peppermint provides its users with a lightweight and super stable base OS for them to build upon.  It's not our aim to suggest or impose another person's idea of a perfect distro on anyone.  We leave that up to the individual.  We assist in this by providing a variety of installation methods and our Ice web app creation tool.  For help, we provide a comprehensive online user guide: Peppermint Online User Guide.  All of this is further backed up by our lively and very active Community Forum.  We want our users to feel free to create a distro that suits their individual needs and style  8).  We don't want this to be a difficult and laborious task.  Team Peppermint wants its users to enjoy building and benefiting from their perfect distro ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:43:48 pm »
Andy always manages to say what I'm trying to get across better than I :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Mintmag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 08:15:37 pm »
Thank you guys. Is peppermint compatible with apt-mirror?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 08:36:27 pm »
Sure .. you'd want to create local mirrors of the Ubuntu repo(s) and if you want, the Peppermint "release" PPA.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Mintmag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 10:00:15 pm »
I prefer local repositories because it puts all of your software on your hard drive. Will software manager work with a local repo or will I need to use terminal to install from it?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 06:16:33 am »
I can see no reason it shouldn't work as they're just repos like any other (sourced over the local network but referenced/accessed in the exact same way as a 'normal' repo, via the sources.list), but I can't guarantee it simply because I've never tried ;)

Basically if it can be done in Ubuntu, it can be done in Peppermint (usually in the exact same way) .. as far as repos are concerned Peppermint 7 accesses repos as "xenial" (Ubuntu 16.04) .. if an added repos contains software for "xenial" it will be available in Peppermint 7 via ALL methods (synaptic / software manager / apt / aptitude / etc.)

Did that make sense ?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:37:45 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Mintmag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 01:31:28 pm »
Yes thank you. Does Peppermint come with 32Bit arch like Mint or do you have to install it like Ubuntu?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 02:18:54 pm »
Both Ubuntu and Peppermint support multiarch in the 64bit builds OOTB (at least they have since 14.04 / Peppermint 5)
Code: [Select]
dpkg --print-architecture
will print to screen the native architecture (amd64)

and
Code: [Select]
dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
will print to screen a a newline-separated list of the extra  architectures dpkg is configured to allow packages to be installed for .. so should list i386

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Mintmag

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 03:33:56 pm »
What I mean is does it come with 32bit lib files.