Choose style:

Author Topic: One Windows-only program that I gravely miss in Linux  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Skara Brae

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
One Windows-only program that I gravely miss in Linux
« on: December 22, 2016, 05:48:36 am »
Are there any Windows-only programs that you miss in Linux?

There is one Windows-only program that I miss very much, and that is Corel's program "PhotoPAINT" (part of their CorelDRAW graphics suite). I have no objections with 'buying' proprietary software, if it is good (Ya readin' this, Microsoft?). I remember buying StarOffice boxed, long ago, before OpenOffice was well-known, for example. ApplixWare, anyone? Or Sid Meier's "Civilisation Call to Power" by Loki.

I have been using Corel PhotoPAINT for years (just) to edit pictures, and I find it a pleasure to use. I love it.

Many eons ago I once tried CorelDRAW 7 in Wine under Ubuntu, I believe. It kinda worked, but it crashed when trying to save pictures (and the menu font was not a very readable one).

There is something called The GIMP, but I think GIMP stands for "Great Irritating Miserable Program"", for there is more than one thing that I find irritating in The GIMP (That free floating Toolbox, aaaaarghhhhh). I find myself liking even Microsoft Paint more than The GIMP (for certain simple actions). Pinta and Krita are more like Windows Paint and aren't really a replacement for Corel PhotoPAINT.

If Corel released their CorelDRAW Graphics Suite for Linux (and if it weren't too costly), then I would buy it right away.
Registered Linux User #495429

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: One Windows-only program that I gravely miss in Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 06:21:42 am »
Are there any Windows-only programs that you miss in Linux?

I used to miss the news app from Windows 8 on up, but with Opera browser's customizable news aggregator, I don't miss that any longer.  I wish Skype's interface would get updated in Linux, but Skype seems to be working well enough again for me in Peppermint.  So, no, I don't miss much of anything from Windows --except maybe looking every once in a while to see what happening with Google's Canary browser.  One thing I certainly don't miss are those loathsome antivirus programs for Windows.  Good riddance to the AV, and good riddance to Windows in general. ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 06:47:01 am »
Have you tried running it in wine lately ?, according to this https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19996
PhotoPaint works faster in wine than it does in Windows

also if it doesn't run in wine it might be worth trying it in Crossover, Crossover uses wine code but it's highly optimized, I've had one program in particular run perfectly with Crossover I couldn't get working at all with wine, you can download a trial version here https://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 10:18:17 am »
Try Inkscape, it's great for drawing/painting.  If you want an MS Paint type of program, there's gnome-paint, which is basically the same thing.  There's also a KDE based one, but the Gnome one will probably pull in less dependencies.

One thing some people don't seem to get about GIMP is that it's primarily an image editing program.  It's supposed to be more of a Photoshop type program, not a drawing or painting program.  That's why it sucks so badly at both of those things.  It's not intended for major drawing and painting.  Personally, I like to draw stuff in Inkscape, or do CGI renders in software like Blender, then use GIMP to add a bit of flare to the final piece.  That's what it's best for.  (and, yes, you can literally add flares with it ;))

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 11:33:50 am »
So where's my 3D "Candy" logo ? ;) :)) C:-)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 12:46:50 pm »
So where's my 3D "Candy" logo ? ;) :)) C:-)

Uh, I work in retail.  Right now, we're getting slammed, as one would expect.  Let me get through the Holidays and then I'll get to work on that.  It shouldn't take very long, but I've been so damn tired lately due to work.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 02:08:05 pm »
Pullin ya leg dude ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 06:38:35 pm »
Pullin ya leg dude ;)

I know.  I, on the other hand, was serious.  I've been wanting to get back into 3D modeling anyway.

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9R x86/ 10 x64
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 01:50:27 am »
Absolutely miss my CorelDRAW Suite..when using Linux.
Started on CorelDRAW 8 back in 1999 thru 9,10,11 and now on X5. (Working experience/ design and enthusiast)
X5 version being the MAIN reason for using Windows 7 Pro alongside Auto-CAD 2010 which is isolated from the Internet.
Gimp and Ink scape are acceptable substitutes but no match for CorelDRAW X5.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 04:56:47 am »
IIRC at one stage Corel had a team working on Draw 9 for Linux (even had a beta I think) but like the impotent wimps that saw them fade in Windows, they never followed through.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline farms

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 Bit
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 09:43:49 am »
Windscribe my vpn , can get it as a browser ext , but the full download of it cannot for the full protection, Windcribe have stated it is coming soon .

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 09:52:41 am »
Personally I now miss nothing.

It's a frame of reference thing .. I never "missed" Apple only software when using Windows because it never came into my field of reference.

You can extrapolate the rest ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 10:41:25 am »
I missed my old CGI software for the longest time, but I'm way over it by now.  Blender works OK, it will suffice.  I was already using Inkscape and GIMP long before I switched to Linux, so no adjustment there.  Sure, there are games I'd love to still play in Windows, but that's how life is.  I have plenty of Linux compatible games, along with several game consoles.  So, no, I don't miss anything anymore.

I certainly don't miss BSODs, product keys, defragging, general lack of customization or the constant worry of viruses.  I weighed that stuff against the few software programs I'd have to do without when I decided to go totally Linux.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 08:32:40 pm »
Personally I now miss nothing.

Same here.

The only one I used to 'miss' was WinSCP.

LINK:  https://winscp.net/eng/docs/screenshots

I ran it via 'Wine', but found some useful workarounds, soooo ... c'est la vie !

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 07:45:25 am »
Yeah back in the day we still used optical disks for stuff I originally missed Imgburn (brassero, etc. just didn't cut it at the time) .. which also worked in WINE .. but haven't used optical disks for ages now.

Nowadays I don't run WINE .. if there ain't a Linux version of something I find another way or go without, I mean Windows won't run Logic Pro, you just use sommat else instead .. and non make cognac, but then you don't expect them to :))
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:51:12 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec