Choose style:

Author Topic: Help me understand Peppermint's install size, etc. relative to vanilla Lubuntu  (Read 1355 times)

Offline tranturi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I'm looking for a Linux distribution that I can squeeze onto my Acer Cloudbook along with Windows 10; the problem being that the device only has a 32GB hard drive. The machine dates to a time when MS thought that they could find the Chromebook trend by putting Windows 10 on Chromebook hardware, so Windows crawls, but occasionally it's useful to have it there anyway. But since I'm thinking Chromebook (and the machine is called a "Cloudbook"), Peppermint feels like the right OS.

However, I was surprised to see on this old but thorough review that Peppermint OS's hard drive footprint is actually 25% larger than vanilla Lubuntu's. One person on the forum says on his machine a current install is 4.5GB. Shouldn't the footprint be small, as much of the application code lives in the cloud, not locally?

Perhaps I am missing the value-add of Peppermint relative to Lubuntu. Is it:
  • Pixlr is faster than GIMP because it runs on some super-fast server somewhere, not your crummy local hardware
  • The browser window you run Pixlr in takes fewer system resources than GIMP would
  • You don't have to expend hard drive space installing GIMP; just run Pixlr in your browser
  • Something else?

Offline stefanreich

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Eleutheria learns to think.
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
I'm seeing a footprint of less than 3.5 GB with Peppermint Seven. Haven't installed any updates during installation (didn't turn on the Internet connection), but did check the "install 3rd party stuff" option (the codecs etc).

Perhaps I am missing the value-add of Peppermint relative to Lubuntu.
It's the forum! Haven't seen better Linux support anywhere actually.

And I just like it, give or take. ^^
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:48:05 pm by stefanreich »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Dunno what to tell you other than Lubuntu is fully LXDE (with its limitations) .. Peppermint is NOT full LXDE, in fact we're closer to Xfce but with some Cinnamon MATE, and Gnome components chucked in to aid functionality, ease of use, and configurability.

Our focus INCLUDES lightness and speed, but it is not the ONLY criteria, indeed it's probably not even the PRIMARY criteria (more like second over new user friendliness) .. we (like every other distro) go for a BALANCE, ours is just diffferent to Lubuntu's, we're more configurable/functional, they're SLIGHTLY lighter but IMHO at a cost that's far greater than the minimal amount we're heavier (but opinions are just that, opinions).

IMHO, we sit somewhere between full LXDE and Xfce as far as size/resources goes but are closer to heavyweight distros (Ubuntu Mint) when it comes to functionality (think bells and whistles) .. that's what we aim for, the best bits of every world (call it cherry picking if you like) ;)

As for Win10 and pretty much ANY distro on a 32GB drive .. erm that would likely be a bad idea .. it's certainly doable, but file systems REALLY need room to breath, specially Windows file systems, the way it keeps jugging stuff around on disk. and their use of swapfiles (but Linux ones too) .. you'd quickly find Windows in particular crawling.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:00:37 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stefanreich

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Eleutheria learns to think.
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
As for Win10 and pretty much ANY distro on a 32GB drive .. erm that would likely be a bad idea .. it's certainly doable, but file systems REALLY need room to breath, specially Windows file systems, the way it keeps jugging stuff around on disk. and their use of swapfiles (but Linux ones too) .. you'd quickly find Windows in particular crawling.

Yeah Win + Linux on 32GB is really pushing it... they want swap too and everything, right?

Offline tranturi

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Dunno what to tell you other than Lubuntu is fully LXDE (with its limitations) .. Peppermint is NOT full LXDE, in fact we're closer to Xfce but with some Cinnamon MATE, and Gnome components chucked in to aid functionality, ease of use, and configurability...
IMHO, we sit somewhere between full LXDE and Xfce as far as size/resources goes but are closer to heavyweight distros (Ubuntu Mint) when it comes to functionality (think bells and whistles) .. that's what we aim for, the best bits of every world (call it cherry picking if you like) ;)
OK, so when thinking about Peppermint OS sounds like I should think first of this cherry-picked environment. Would it be fair to say that this, more than the Pixlr vs. GIMP cloud stuff, is now the distribution's most salient characteristic?

As for Win10 and pretty much ANY distro on a 32GB drive .. erm that would likely be a bad idea ..
So it looks like I can actually move Windows 10 to an external drive with Clonezilla and it will happily boot?! Assuming that's true I'll happily buy an $18 hard drive from Amazon and stick Windows there for when I need it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
OK, so when thinking about Peppermint OS sounds like I should think first of this cherry-picked environment. Would it be fair to say that this, more than the Pixlr vs. GIMP cloud stuff, is now the distribution's most salient characteristic?

Yes, Peppermint shouldn't be thought of as a "Cloud" distro, more of a "choice" distro that puts web apps on an equal footing with locally installed apps but doesn't make those choices for you .. just gives you the tools to build it up as YOU see fit.

Most of our users hate uninstalling applications that they won't use (something you nearly always have to do with other distros), they just want a very configurable and functional distro they can build up how THEY want it.

BTW, that old review you linked to was wrong about the installed size .. at that time (Peppermint 5) we were definitely smaller than Lubuntu .. I think we'd forgot to change the "minimum disk size" setting for the installer so it "said" it required 4GB when it actually didn't "require" that amount (we later fixed that in the respin).
Nowadays I think our installed size is roughly the same as Lubuntu's.

So it looks like I can actually move Windows 10 to an external drive with Clonezilla and it will happily boot?! Assuming that's true I'll happily buy an $18 hard drive from Amazon and stick Windows there for when I need it.

Probably not (at least without some third party software to make it work) .. AFAIK Windows is specifically designed not to install to or boot from external hard drives  and removeable media.

But Peppermint will ;)

If you have a USB3.0 port, and pair that with a fast USB3.0 USB stick (or HDD) it will NEARLY be as fast as an internal HDD
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:16:01 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec