Choose style:

Author Topic: New MX16  (Read 2073 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 RC1 / P9 Respin
New MX16
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:42:09 am »
Hi

Interesting to see they now have a Firefox fixer and an anti-advert via host files.   I have not noticed these before.  Nice to see us being copied  :)   

Also interesting to see other Distro's are STILL having problems with UEFI. Something Peppermint got right in September 2015.    GO TEAM PEPPERMINT!!!!

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 RC1 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
Re: New MX16
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 05:32:32 am »
^ Going to try this one in VirtualBox, MX-16 seems to have some extras that are very user friendly...  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 11:23:40 am »
OK, I'm really impressed and that doesn't happen often...  :)

Test: MX-16_x64 (ISO 1,11 GB) in Virtualbox

Install:

Easy and very fast, with all the necessary options included or full automatic.  One thing... I had to give my system a name before the keyboard settings came along! Yep, Qwerty vs Azerty and the struggle was real...

System/OS:

After a restart I found full screen, copy/paste guest/host and host/guest and even shared folders working out of the box!  8)
The size freshly installed is 4,2 GB. Updated and restarted again. Time for a look at the OS and DE...

Panel was on the left side so placed it on the bottom...
MX-16 has more apps pre-installed than Peppermint but (personal opinion) I found they installed the things I wanted!
VLC, LibreOffice, Firefox,... are present and the many "custom MX Tools" make it easy to install anything you want. Especially the MX Package Installer is a very user friendly tool. I know you can do the same through Synaptic or the Terminal but I think the "one click" solution is a very nice addition!

The DE has many customization options which are, once again, available through very user friendly "custom MX Tools". After using Peppermint for more than a year I found myself pretty much at home in that part of MX-16.

MX-16 is very (newbie) user friendly but the advanced user can go as deep as he want (example: mixing different repositories).
The first time you press PrtScrn you will understand what I mean...

The verdict:

Since I only tested this for a limited time I have no verdict but just a first impression!
And that first impression is that I'm impressed by the looks, the pre-installed tools/apps and the speed of the whole OS!

A few screenshots:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)

[close]

I did NOT delete MX-16 from VirtualBox after this initial test!
Greets!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 RC1 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:42:15 pm »
Well, here I am with it installed on bare metal and as always with "Debian" based distributions.... it just doesn't feel as slick and polished as a Distro built on Ubuntu.   I can't put my finger on it exactly as to why I feel this way - I just do. A bit rough around the edges.

But down to the Distro - it works and works well.   All my usual software installed without a hitch. 

I will edit post in a while and let you know Memory usage on first boot.
EDIT: 467Mb

Nvidia drivers was a bit of a faff as the MX-Tool "Nvidia driver insaller" failed to work and I had to use the MX Tools and the "Test Repo Installer".
Now - it is only because I have had lots of experience Distro hoping (hopping - lol  hoping I will find another Distro as good as Peppermint 7) that I knew what to pick Nvidia wise. I guarantee you a new user will go  WTF!!! and then have to spend time on the Forum to work it out.

Interesting to see they also Offer "ICE" via the Test Repo installer and at this point it is a good idea to watch the video in full as they explain what the Test Repo is.  It's nothing to do with "Debian Testing"

Their MX Tool "Default Look" allows you to alter the Panel orientation and fix the fault with Firefox Dark Themes. This was enabled already on a clean install - so if you change to a light theme you will need to alter this.

Now on the Subject of the panel; the default install makes it look real weird in my opinion. The overall size of the panel is excessive at 40 and then you have the "Notification Area" on 22 Little and Large make it look odd.

The MX Tools do make life a little easier for the new user. I like the Repo Manager as I think it will give a new user a better feel for what is being used in the Distro - rather than looking as a txt file. (I prefer GUI - GUIlty as charged  :P )

I do not believe there is anything in the Distro that Peppermint needs to say YES!!! we must have that.

Lets see how it performs over the next day or two.  It is definitely for a different target audience and for those users who want quick easy way of getting up and running as against having to "Learn" what the system does and how it works.

Regards Zeb...

ps Steam failed to install via the Welcome screen "Popular Apps" and it did not tell me why
EDIT: Install Steam from the command line - no problem
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:22:46 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 RC1 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 04:36:00 pm »
I want to have a look at their "panel reset" script .. we already have our own (available on this forum) that was pencilled in for inclusion in Peppermint 8.
(I wanna look at the panel save/restore function in theirs .. I like that, and maybe could add it to our script)

In fact along with some of the other stuff (ice and the Firefox theme lock for example), it's almost as though the MX devs read our forums ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 04:38:12 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec