Author Topic: Females using Peppermint ?  (Read 10727 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Females using Peppermint ?
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2017, 04:36:53 pm »
What supports what I'm saying here is also Thank goodness for the forum ! I've found so many helpful contributors namely Mark Greaves from top of my head.

Absolutely, MarkUK!   I'll also be forever grateful for the ways Kendall Weaver and Shane Remington envisioned Peppermint and Peppermint's forum.  I love the way Peppermint was conceptualized --light and web-centric.  And, even after all these years, I still can't imagine a better place to be online than right here within Peppermint's forum.  It remains, by far, my favorite place to be on the Web!  :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2017, 04:37:39 pm »
Good talk lady & gents ......   :)

Let me just ask you LNXlady .. since you're running P7 did you have to tweak your system before you got it working the way you want ? Meaning .... it's a general knowledge that unlike Windows Linux does deal with incompatibilities with computer's hardware. Simply 'coz the crushing majority of computers on the market are designed to be operated under Windows. And Linux devs do their best to share their knowledge on how to eliminate those bugs.

Was your P7 up and ready out of the box or did you have to play with the terminal a bit to get it in shape  ?

When I installed it on my laptop it was perfect from first boot but on my desktop I had to switch to a newer kernel to get the correct screen resolution. I've installed Linux many times on many computers over the years and I have rarely had hardware issues. A few times, but most times it hasn't been a problem. I've never had a piece of hardware that I couldn't eventually get working with Linux with help from forums or searching the internet.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2017, 04:46:54 pm »
snip...

What supports what I'm saying here is also the fact the this forum is overflowing with people asking for an advice how to make P7 work. What workaround they should try and what command in terminal might help to fix the issue. T

If you visit a Windows forum, you will find it overflowing with people asking for advice on how to make that work, too. Any time a Windows user adds a new piece of hardware, they are subject to the same problems.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2017, 04:56:27 pm »

Me too, LNXlady.  Me too.  What's more we have to realize our parents were influenced by the culture in which they grew up in too.  And on and on it goes until something changes the pattern.  I'm just glad you fought back when you were so young against adult behavior that you clearly recognized as being unfair.  I wonder how many girls had similar experiences such as yours and then decided, for whatever reasons, not to fight back and assert themselves as you have done. :( 

So what's the best way to fight against gender bias, as well as a myriad of other biases plaguing humanity right now?  Personally, I'm a big fan of a secular liberal arts education --exploring as many directions of thought as possible.  Give everything a fair hearing, and then let the chips fall where they may.  So far I see this form of education as giving humanity the best chance of reaching its full potential.  If this is so, humanity sure have a long way to go...

Now, what's the best way to get gals to use Peppermint?  What do you think?  Might it be too late, as everything becomes more and more cloud-based over time?  With my own family, thanks in part due to our experiences with Web TV in the past, and a Chromebook now, I have to remind others over and over again that updating an OS is essential for its security and its functionality.  Now as platforms become more and more cloud-based, updating occurs in the background.  It seems to me as if fewer and fewer people want to deal with updates these days.  Could updating itself be what's holding back Linux for the desktop now?  Could it be that now, due in part to an historical accident discussed above, that the guys who are into Linux are here to stay, but that the gals won't be coming to us after all?   Although females have more access to a leveler playing field today regarding computers than ever before, the new perception for both guys and gals --even if incorrect-- is that OSes that update in the background are the way to go now? :-\

I hope not.  My new Pixel phone updates in the background instead of asking my permission first and I find it really  annoying. I can't tell it to wait until I have a wifi connection like I used to. A friend asked on Facebook a few days ago what to do when your computer decides to install 51 updates. My reply - Well, there's something wrong if the computer is making the decisions instead of the user. ;) But maybe you'll get lucky and it will decide to make you some coffee while you wait.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2017, 05:09:18 pm »
...there's something wrong if the computer is making the decisions instead of the user. ;)

Yeah, there is something wrong, but it does seem to be direction in which things are headed.

But maybe you'll get lucky and it will decide to make you some coffee while you wait.

Wouldn't that be nice?  Hey, with the IoT, I'm bet that will be coming soon.  ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2017, 05:12:30 pm »
...there's something wrong if the computer is making the decisions instead of the user. ;)

Yeah, there is something wrong, but it does seem to be direction in which things are headed.

But maybe you'll get lucky and it will decide to make you some coffee while you wait.

Wouldn't that be nice?  Hey, with the IoT, I'm bet that will be coming soon.  ;)

LOL, you're probably right! Alexa, make me some coffee. Please?!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2017, 05:26:13 pm »

Since you're Peppermint's LNXlady, don't you think it would only be poetically just to drop the final a on Alexa and have Alex make a cup of coffee for you instead?  How's that idea sound to you?  ;)

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2017, 05:31:33 pm »

Since you're Peppermint's LNXlady, don't you think it would only be poetically just to drop the final a on Alexa and have Alex make a cup of coffee for you instead?  How's that idea sound to you?  ;)

Sounds good to me. I'm more of a tea girl, myself. Alex, make me a cup of tea, cream no sugar. Please?!  :D 
I think the IoT is very cool in theory but I'm not so sure about in practice. Seems like it could be a security nightmare. I'm not sure Asimov would approve, either.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2017, 05:46:04 pm »
Nor Orwell .. even he didn't foresee your toaster/toilet/kettle spying on you.
(IIRC at least there was a corner you could hide in)

The world isn't ready for the IoT yet, systems are FAR too vulnerable at the present.
https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:51:42 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2017, 02:14:29 pm »
Sorry, gentlemen, but we're discussing females here --and AOL doesn't quite cut it!  How the heck did we go from females to AOL?   That's a question I DON'T want to know the answer to!  ;D

Not really off topic, I don't have any female family members with any interest in computers at all...  I was relaying my youthful agreement with them. Its nothing more than educational/familial/societal programming. Which gets reinforced in schools where kids all follow their friends'  lead in class choices. One of my neices is already complaining that her 2nd grade daughter wants to quit participating in gym class. "All the other girls are excused to sit aside and read books Mom, I'm the only girl going to gym class"... All those girls parents have submitted written non-participation requests, thereby setting in motion some different expectations between their daughters & sons... ... ... 

It seems to be a lost concept to have self determination about one's own education anymore, more herd instincts of late. Even my nephews worried about what their friends would think about their class choices, or only wanted to be in classes where their friends were... ... ... ... we may have made the same mistakes in our own pasts  >:( 

I think most kids, male or female, going to college these days are wasting their time and their parents money... Maybe college should be delayed until after they've set themselves free of the worry about what their friends will think about everything they're interested in... ... ...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:47:25 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2017, 02:21:33 pm »
Not really .. I haven't used it in ages, but I may again at some point so I'll leave the contact intact for now :)

I don't really do Skype or Google Talk either .. but still have accounts (I think).

Maybe I just keep those icons on the left because they put me in mind of military ribbons, and make me look like some kind of high ranking hero type :))

I was also very into ICQ back when it first arrived... a cool Israeli start up which put AOL messenger to shame. Now its a Russian owned entity. I did try recently to reclaim my number/account which I thought I'd closed ages ago. Apparently it is still out there, but I haven't been successful in wresting control of it so far. I've never used skype, nor google talk...
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2017, 02:46:27 pm »
Sorry about that sentence, Spence.  Nobody by nobody in this forum goes more off-topic than me/I. (Take your pick.) Who was I to talk? ::) 

Believe it or not, I live in a neighborhood where the children still play outside.  But, I know we're losing Phys Ed in schools.  I weighed today at an all-time high.  Never mind the kids, I've got to get moving.  I hear you.  And, regarding higher education, on one hand we want our kids to grew up before they continue their higher learning, and on the hand we need to have an educated work force who can compete with the rest of the world.  I'm, personally, for K-16, or its equivalent, these days.  I believe our educational system is antiquated.  It's perhaps a hundred years behind times, as is our health care system, I might add.  What a mess! :-\

Unfortunately that sentence I wrote is now stuck there in amber.  Sorry about saying that, Spence and Mac. :-[

Offline mac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2017, 03:07:02 pm »
No problem here, Perk.  Hijacking is illegal, anyway, isn't it?   :D

cheers
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2017, 03:12:37 pm »
yeah, what Mac said... apologias necessitas nada...  ::)
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2017, 03:32:27 pm »
No problem here, Perk.  Hijacking is illegal, anyway, isn't it?   :D

Thank you, Gents.  Yes hijacking is illegal, even though I've heard you can get a lot of loot out of it if it's done correctly. ;) 

That said, you're never going to see me jump out of an airplane.  I'm the guy who would grab the backpack instead of the parachute, I'm sure. ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:34:03 pm by perknh »