Choose style:

Author Topic: Females using Peppermint ?  (Read 8698 times)

Offline MarkUK

• Hakuna Matata !
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Respin 7 64bit
Females using Peppermint ?
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:03:59 am »
I noticed we've got a list of members available here on the website. Is there any way to tell who's female ? I wonder if we have some females here.  :D

Apparently there is a community called "Ubuntu Women". Here's the link http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/

Have you ever met a female that is genuinely interested in learning nuts and bolts about Linux ?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:14:40 am by MarkUK »
CPU:  Quad core AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2.2 Ghz)
RAM installed: 8 GB
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Females using Peppermint ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:44 am »
There are a few, on my other forum we had a lady that wanted to figure out Gentoo, as her FIRST foray into Linux, then went on to change her university course to CompSci.

We certainly get a lot of women "liking" our posts on the social media sites, but for whatever reason less so members of this forum.

In answer to your original question - NO there's no way to KNOW .. members can CHOOSE to enter male/female in their forum profile but they can equally choose to leave it blank which most do.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:15:56 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline MarkUK

• Hakuna Matata !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:18:39 am »
I'm happy to hear that. I lot of females got inspired by the project Hour Of Code. Personally, I admire females who's trying to learn how to program or who likes the taste of Linux. Unfortunately females I get to talk to are usually the ones who uses laptop just for browsing Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:21:42 am »
Well, at least you get to talk to some females !!  :D

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline MarkUK

• Hakuna Matata !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:23:36 am »
Well, at least you get to talk to some females !!  :D

XD

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 10:16:12 am »
Does it matter?  I mean, we're all users of a great Linux distribution and we come here to socialize and get/provide help with issues.  I personally never worry who's male or female.  I know a number of forum members who are most definitely male, but that doesn't make any difference as to how I treat (or would treat) them.

Offline MarkUK

• Hakuna Matata !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 10:25:46 am »
You misunderstood, I'm afraid. Nobody here talks about treating females different. I was just curious how much is Peppermint (or Linux in that regard) popular among females if at all. There are ladies who actually likes Ubuntu and who likes to talk about it and share opinions and experience. Needless to say there are very few.

Hope I cleared this up to you a bit.

Best Wishes ....

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 01:41:16 pm »
I agree with you Mark it's a shame we don't have more female members, I think there's a few reasons such as I don't think in general females are as interested in technology as males and those who are might feel intimidated joining a male dominated forum such as ours

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 07:39:35 pm »
You misunderstood, I'm afraid. Nobody here talks about treating females different.

No, I didn't misunderstand, I got your meaning.  You're just curious.  I was just wondering why.

For the most part, we have about a dozen people or so who post here regularly.  Most everyone else shows up if/when they have a problem or to drop the occasional compliment when a new version drops.  (and for various other reasons, but you get my drift)  How many of that second group are female?  It's hard to say.

It's possible there are plenty of women running this OS who simply don't feel the need to hang around the forums.  For that matter, there are plenty of men who feel that way.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 07:48:13 pm »
Maybe they've just figured it all out and don't need any help  :o.  Seriously, we've a few of the fairer sex as members.  They pop in once and a while  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline travis82

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 12:44:26 pm »
Today, most students of computer engineering try to learn linux to improve their skills. I know women how are linux experts. However, their main interest area is linux servers and their preferred distros are CentOS and Debian. But I have noticed some girls who have installed Ubuntu on their laptops. Why they don't use peppermint? I don't know, perhaps they rather aesthetic than functionality.  :P

Sorry for my english
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:45:58 pm by travis82 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 01:53:34 pm »
Today, most students of computer engineering try to learn linux to improve their skills. I know women how are linux experts. However, their main interest area is linux servers and their preferred distros are CentOS and Debian. But I have noticed some girls who have installed Ubuntu on their laptops. Why they don't use peppermint? I don't know, perhaps they rather aesthetic than functionality.  :P

At first I was going play here and have a little fun, because, honestly, Peppermint 7 is one of the most aesthetically pleasing distributions I've ever seen, and my wife loves the look of it too.  But you MAY be onto something here --if you go back to functionality along with aesthetics.

Let's call "functionality" user-friendliness.  What is the most user-friendly Linux distribution you can think of?  I say it's Chrome OS.  Nothing but nothing is easier than to use than a Chromebook.  You don't have to do a darn thing other than open it up and sign into it --that's all!  You're up and running.  But what's the second most user-friendly distro?  Please forgive my French here, but the word is Unité --and it's a feminine noun.  Unity is nearly as user-friendly as Chrome OS (In fact I believe Chrome OS is actually built off of Unity).  All you've got to do is install it, run it, and update it when it tells you too --nothing more.  Their functionality is almost identical.

It seems to me that configuring and tweaking an distribution is more of guy thing.  Xfce takes a little configuring, but, for the little you put into configuring Xfce, you gain countless benefits after doing so.  Peppermint becomes very simple to use, after configuration and personalization , but not before.  That's the difference that I see.  It does appear to me that the guys like to tinker with this or that more than the gals do.  That's been my observation in my house --and it is purely anecdotal.  My job is to configure the computer, my wife's job is to work OS without a glitch.

The truth is is that this is a timeless, open-ended, question, and it won't be answered here or elsewhere in this forum.  Still, it's a fun topic to wonder about.  :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 02:16:21 pm »
I'm with scifidude79 .. Peppermint is gender neutral, it doesn't come into the equation.

Is anyone suggesting we should specifically target on gender ? .. seriously I see no need it's used by people that "like" it and "get" it whoever they are :)

Sure, there's more males around here but that doesn't mean anything beyond there are differences between the sexes, be they physical, psychological, or social the differences DO exist.

If there are any ladies out there that can tell us how we could engage them more, that would be great .. but that applies equally to ALL groups.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 07:14:51 pm »
I'm with scifidude79 .. Peppermint is gender neutral, it doesn't come into the equation...Sure, there's more males around here but that doesn't mean anything beyond there are differences between the sexes, be they physical, psychological, or social the differences DO exist.

I agree.  Socialization is HUGE part of why men and women interact differently with cultural artifacts (in this case, digital technology).  Powerful gender norms, and powerful gender expectations control so much of what human beings do.

If there are any ladies out there that can tell us how we could engage them more, that would be great .. but that applies equally to ALL groups.

That says it all.  I have NEVER heard one complaint from any woman in this forum.  In fact, I've heard very few complaints from anyone in this forum ever --except veggie.  Fortunately veggie achieved special status in our forum by having a thread remain in Peppermint's top 10 most read list for the longest time.  Perhaps veggie is happy with Peppermint 7 now and feels no reason to complain. :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 01:49:22 pm »
Is this really what you guys think? That women don't like tech and don't like to tinker and have to have things all set up for them or they won't use something? Maybe that is why we don't hang out with you.  ;)  Probably, Ubuntu (which I do not find to be more user friendly than Peppermint) has more women posting because they have a forum for women. Also, Ubuntu just has a lot more people in general posting. Peppermint has a smaller user base. Anyway, I think Peppermint has a very friendly forum. I have been to others where I used a gender-neutral user name just so I would not be dismissed or talked down to. I'm not a science geek  at all, just a happy user, so I do need things explained in detail sometimes. People here seem happy to do that.

In my world, my man is the one who throws up his hands if something doesn't work right. Then he gives it to me to try to fix. He's not willing to spend a little time figuring out the problem and fixing it, he'll just go on without it instead. He's a Windows user and he's afraid of Linux. I've never been able to get him to even try it. And if you dropped him into a forum full of women he would not have much to say.