Choose style:

Author Topic: Females using Peppermint ?  (Read 8988 times)

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Females using Peppermint ?
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2017, 09:49:17 am »
I got an update email this morning from a non-tech blogger I follow saying that her 6th grade daughter has been picked as Technology Captain at her school. I don't know what that entails but it shows definite female interest. As for getting more women interested in Peppermint specifically, I don't know. I don't think Peppermint's reputation has caught up with its reality. People (those who know it exists) still think of it as cloud based and light, only for when you need an OS for something old or slow. Reviews always mention that it is cloud based and light.  Well, a lot of us don't need something cloud based and light so it doesn't sound like the best option. It isn't really being marketed as beautiful and efficient and flexible as well as fast, which it is. It is never mentioned that it's great for those who don't use any of the cloud based software because you can install anything you like and use it anyway you want. I can't speak for all women but in general we want the best in all things. We are very good at making do with less than the best but if given a choice, we want the diamonds.  :)

I think most people come to Linux because they are not satisfied with what they have been using and want something better, but first they have to know that there IS something better.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2017, 10:06:08 am »
but first they have to know that there IS something better.

Good point, LNXlady.  I stumbled across Linux out of frustration with Windows back in the 90s.  I didn't even know it existed until I just happened to see a commercially packaged copy of Mandrake on the shelf at one of the big-box stores.  Most of my friends had never heard of Linux, either, and those who had advised me to stay away from it because it was difficult and had a lot of problems (this from Windows users).   Still today when I mention Linux the usual response is "What's that?" 

My point is that most Windows users, as you said, don't know there is something better and most Linux users don't how much better Peppermint really is.   We are definitely misunderstood.  But, then, greatness usually is.  Ha!   :D

cheers
mac
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2017, 10:14:20 am »
It doesn't help that the Linux/Tech press keep using outdated info for their articles .. seems research is an outdated concept with a lot of the tech press these days :(

I've said it before, but I've NEVER had a single member of the tech press contact me before posting an article.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:16:09 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2017, 10:18:23 am »
It doesn't help that the Linux/Tech press keep using outdated info for their articles .. seems research is an outdated concept with a lot of the tech press these days :(

True 'dat....pretty much across the board.  You have to do your own research, these days, and try it out yourself.    Most (real) Linux people would do that, anyway.    :D

cheers
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2017, 10:24:49 am »

I've said it before, but I've NEVER had a single member of the tech press contact me before posting an article.

That's crazy. No wonder they don't seem to know what they are talking about. I've been having trouble finding anything I'd even call a review on any of the distros, lately. I get very frustrated when I click on a Youtube "review" only to find it is just a screencast of someone clicking around on the menus. That is NOT a review! And you can't do a review on something you haven't really used. I suppose the Peppermint team and its real users will have to be the ones to get the word out, somehow.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2017, 10:31:57 am »
Ah, but if you say up front "this is not a review", and then it kind of is a review but it's really just someone breaking/deleting their panel on a YouTube video...  I forget if I had a point to this :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2017, 10:33:12 am »
LOL :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2017, 10:34:59 am »
Ah, but if you say up front "this is not a review", and then it kind of is a review but it's really just someone breaking/deleting their panel on a YouTube video...  I forget if I had a point to this :D

LOL, I think we've been watching the same videos.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2017, 10:52:21 am »
I think most people come to Linux because they are not satisfied with what they have been using and want something better, but first they have to know that there IS something better.

Hi LNXlady,

I don't think we'll see a mass exodus of gals coming over to Peppermint, or Linux in general.  I'm now working on the premise, that many girls had experiences that mirrored yours, and that half our society got caught up in an unusual historical accident.  Many girls missed the entry point of using Linux.  Also, I still believe that updating is an issue.  Although updating one's computer is no big thing at all, I don't know many people who like doing it any more.  Cloud computing seems to be taking over the mass market.

This said, the girls who really get into computer science and robotics will discover Linux.  We'll get those gals, for sure.  And, that "6th grade daughter [who] has been picked as Technology Captain at her school", she's on her way to discovering LInux too --especially with you in her camp.  She'll make it, I'm sure. :)

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2017, 11:35:08 am »

Hi LNXlady,

I don't think we'll see a mass exodus of gals coming over to Peppermint, or Linux in general.  I'm now working on the premise, that many girls had experiences that mirrored yours, and that half our society got caught up in an unusual historical accident.  Many girls missed the entry point of using Linux.  Also, I still believe that updating is an issue.  Although updating one's computer is no big thing at all, I don't know many people who like doing it any more.  Cloud computing seems to be taking over the mass market.

This said, the girls who really get into computer science and robotics will discover Linux.  We'll get those gals, for sure.  And, that "6th grade daughter [who] has been picked as Technology Captain at her school", she's on her way to discovering LInux too --especially with you in her camp.  She'll make it, I'm sure. :)

perknh

You are right but we don't need a mass exodus. We just need a few good ones. Those few will make sure that their sisters and friends and eventually their daughters and nieces know there is a choice. ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2017, 11:46:23 am »
You are right but we don't need a mass exodus. We just need a few good ones. Those few will make sure that their sisters and friends and eventually their daughters and nieces know there is a choice. ;)

That's true.  That is all it would take.  In time, the gals will be here.  I hope I'll get to see this happen.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2017, 05:36:23 pm »
I wonder how many people will still have PCs in 10 years. I always knew tablets were a dead end, but they only started dying when Chromebooks got Android apps. The PC market is shrinking, despite the milions of people bridging the digital divide yearly.

I'm dubious we'll see a lot more Linux users. A bigger share of computer users, sure. But what I'm seeing is people who use computers as typewriters. Phones handle internet browsing, which is increasingly going through apps. I'm increasingly worried that there won't be enough people, who know how stuff works, before we get AI to manage software for us