Author Topic: Females using Peppermint ?  (Read 10730 times)

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Females using Peppermint ?
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 09:53:36 am »
In my world, my man is the one who throws up his hands if something doesn't work right.
So, LNXlady, is it true that you are a tomboy?  :D (Just kidding, please do not feel offended...)

I have a female friend. She knows her way around in Windows (more than many women I know, which aren't  THAT many, but anyway), but she has no interest in installing and trying out Linux.

I think that computers-and-stuff is a bit of a technical thing, and "technical things" are more of a male thing? Women will be interested, but to dive into Linux, for example, is another matter.

LOL, no I'm not a tomboy. My favorite color is pink! Sometimes, even my computer is pink. Linux is so customizable. I'm not even especially technical minded. I hate math. But I am practical. I like my computer (and everything else) to look the way I want and behave the way I want. Most women have never even heard of Linux and have not had anyone show them the benefits of it. The majority of my male friends had never heard of Linux. I remember one asking me what it was and I told him it was an operating system and then he wanted to know what an operating system was.  ??? None of my male friends have any interest in installing or trying it.

Offline MarkUK

• Hakuna Matata !
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Respin 7 64bit
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 06:11:52 pm »
"I remember one asking me what it was and I told him it was an operating system and then he wanted to know what an operating system was. "

omg ... this must make you think like "What people I hang out with ???"  LOL
CPU:  Quad core AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2.2 Ghz)
RAM installed: 8 GB
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 09:07:30 pm »
"I remember one asking me what it was and I told him it was an operating system and then he wanted to know what an operating system was. "

omg ... this must make you think like "What people I hang out with ???"  LOL

Yep. And it's why most of my IRL friends don't even know I run Linux. So if you asked them, they would probably say they don't know any females interested in Linux. Right after they asked you what it was, LOL. Thank goodness for the internet.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2016, 09:17:03 pm »
...most of my IRL friends don't even know I run Linux. So if you asked them, they would probably say they don't know any females interested in Linux. Right after they asked you what it was, LOL. Thank goodness for the internet.

I agree.  I know a lot of people who would go blank on that question.  If you say "computer", they understand.  If you "Apple", they understand.  I you say "Windows", they understand.  But if you say, "an OS", they go blank.  They don't know the lingo, and they don't understand the differences between various OSes --and, most of all, they don't care.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2016, 09:38:43 pm »
...most of my IRL friends don't even know I run Linux. So if you asked them, they would probably say they don't know any females interested in Linux. Right after they asked you what it was, LOL. Thank goodness for the internet.

I agree.  I know a lot of people who would go blank on that question.  If you say "computer", they understand.  If you "Apple", they understand.  I you say "Windows", they understand.  But if you say, "an OS", they go blank.  They don't know the lingo, and they don't understand the differences between various OSes --and, most of all, they don't care.

Very true. I don't understand it, but it's true. I also don't understand why some of my friends choose to have a cat when they could have a dog instead, but that is also somehow true. It's a strange world.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2016, 05:04:06 am »
I'm scared :'(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2016, 03:52:10 pm »
I'm so glad he didn't think I was someone who would have no interest in it  just because I am female (and a busy mom).

FWIW, I talk about my computer/laptop rebuilding quite a lot... my sis just rolls her eyes "i don't have time, why can't it just work like the phone does?" I'm not being sexist, most males my age say virtually the same thing... folks are just mostly over "computers" and bypass them for their phones...

Meanwhile, my Mom lives her entire life via martyrdom... hoping someone will finally tire of her wails & woes and come fix whatever it is she's complaining about that day for her. I moved 2500 miles away, her grandchildren who can't be bothered with anything besides their personal iPhone (which are all still on their Dad's work account) can't seem to find any interest to learn anything about triaging any computer system. Just be glad none of us have to pay my brother-in-laws phone bill  :o.

Against my better judgement, I recently decided to clean up Mom's old Compaq M2000 laptop and send it back to her. She's been wailing about not comprehending the Win 10 her newer laptop upgraded to. Y'all will recollect the Compaq has a dual boot system WinXP which she's familiar with and Peppermint7... I have it set to automagically boot into Peppermint 7. Somewhere in the back of my mind, something was telling me I would be being helpful to her, and take a load off of my sister who gets tired of Mom calling 90 times a day to warn her about her latest news driven fears. So now she'll be calling me to help with the laptop instead... I mailed it back to her nearly two months ago, she hasn't yet plugged it in, complaining about "technology being too much for me to handle..." 
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2016, 07:44:08 pm »
... folks are just mostly over "computers" and bypass them for their phones...

Sadly, this is true. Not me, though. I have a beautiful brand new Pixel phone but I'd still rather do my computing on an actual full sized computer. I can't even let go of my desktop pc, even though I have 2 laptops that I mostly use. I guess I'm just old skool. Or maybe just old, LOL.

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 03:16:58 pm »
... folks are just mostly over "computers" and bypass them for their phones...

Sadly, this is true. Not me, though. I have a beautiful brand new Pixel phone but I'd still rather do my computing on an actual full sized computer. I can't even let go of my desktop pc, even though I have 2 laptops that I mostly use. I guess I'm just old skool. Or maybe just old, LOL.

Ol'skool here too... just rummaged thru the computer parts bin down at the computer recyclers http://riseequipmentrecycling.org/ to find 2gb of matching 512 mb memory to give this old Dell a longer life. Sitting right beside it is my old self built Antec box waiting for the day I become bored and do a multi-boot install of old windoze OSes... and next to that my Palm III xe ... ... ...

I think my laptop days are over as I acclimate to using the Galaxy Note 4 cell phone... its holding my entire photo archive... and am about to upload the entire ancestry photo archive too... laptop batteries are all useless here, i shoulda dropped them at the recyclers...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:02:36 pm by spence »
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2017, 06:13:14 am »
Here's an interesting thesis as to why there are now fewer women in the world of computer science than men.  Was the turning point for this phenomenon really in 1984?  Could it all really be as simple as this --that personal computers were generally put in boys' rooms first?  :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPuyDbQwfHs
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline MarkUK

• Hakuna Matata !
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Respin 7 64bit
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 07:37:39 am »
Interesting video. The truth may lie somewhere along the lines mentioned in the video that "people tell stories to themselves". When I was growing up I overheard so many times somebody saying that "computers are for boys". Never realised that if ladies hear this often enough throughout their lives they will start believe in it regardless if it's bs or not.

On the other hand when you think about it nowadays literally everybody owns a laptop. Whether it's a Windows PC, Chromebook (Linux), Macbook or my personal favourite Linux.
And from what I get to see every day all ladies own a laptop too. Not just men. But majority of women (disclaimer: I said majority not all)  use laptop just to scroll through Facebook or Instagram or to binge on YouTube. They usually don't care how it all works "under the hood".They usually don't realise what a great opportunity they have to learn amazing skill and potentially ... (well I should say likely) they can develop something cool by themselves. When it comes to programming there's no limit. And you don't have to blow your wallet on coding courses to learn. Research says that 80 % of all software engineers are self-made. Very small percentage of programmers have a formal education related to CS.

In the past I watched some videos on YouTube where female programmers were PROMOTING coding to women. I thought what a great idea ! And I shared the video on socials as well so it may inspire some females in my circles. And those women were genuinely passionate about coding.  Some women got inspired indeed. But the percentage of women who's really interested in computing / coding is still very low. Somewhere around 2 or 3 % which only covers the bottom of the graph.

Also I suppose you need to allow yourself to be a "nerd". Who says being a "nerd" is a bad thing ??? Sadly you can see plenty examples of computer geeks to be portrayed in movies as the weird, socially awkward individuals which again ... ain't true !  (computer geek being a weirdo = false)   (as a matter of fact one of my fav movies is "The Social Network")
And so is on socials. Sometimes I see non-flattering jokes on programmers in my Google+ feed. It's just makes my head shaking. I guess it all boils down to how do you find building programs ? Interesting ? Boring ? Inspiring ? Engaging ? Those 2 or 3 % of ladies in CS find it very interesting and coding and coding their heads off regardless what other women think of them !
And who knows some day that "weird" lady probably will create software that will work with some medical device and will help save some human lives in the future.

The program GPs use ? The program grocery stores use to check your shopping out ? Your Android, iOS, Windows 10 phone ? Programs astronauts use ? All that was created by a programmer.

Wow ... what a long post .... Mark out ....

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:56:43 pm by MarkUK »
CPU:  Quad core AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2.2 Ghz)
RAM installed: 8 GB
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 09:48:16 am »
Here's an interesting thesis as to why there are now fewer women in the world of computer science than men.  Was the turning point for this phenomenon really in 1984?  Could it all really be as simple as this --that personal computers were generally put in boys' rooms first?  :-\
Interesting. My brother had a computer and I wanted one so badly. Luckily, he shared and we spent a lot of time on it together. I remember a little game we made. I made the sprites for it. It had this horrible thing called Windows that took all day to load and then we could only do 1 or 2 things on it and then had to get back out to DOS to do anything else we wanted to do, LOL.  When I left home, one of he first things I bought was a computer. I didn't have a TV or a phone for years, but I had a computer. By then, everything was Windows. I did not become a programmer and probably wouldn't have even if I'd had one as a kid but a lot of girls would have. It's still my favorite toy and if my brother hadn't had one I would probably be one of those women MarkUK knows who just want a computer to scroll through Facebook *shudder*. Ok, that part is a lie. I kind of think Windows is what killed it for a lot of people at that time, but that's not gender related. Now that many schools require the students to have a computer, this should be changing. It won't be seen so much as something for boys if all the girls have one, too.

Offline mac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2017, 10:06:28 am »
In my part of the world, for the younger generation at least, computers are no longer a luxury but have become essential.  In fact, it would be extremely difficult to get through grade school, let alone college, without one.  Kids, male & female, grow up with all this technology, today, and the line between male & female (computerwise) is rapidly disappearing.  I'm reminded  of a now ancient song by James Brown, "This is a Man's Word."  Well, it ain't anymore.  Hmmmm.... :-\

cheers
mac
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2017, 01:33:22 pm »
In my part of the world, for the younger generation at least, computers are no longer a luxury but have become essential.  In fact, it would be extremely difficult to get through grade school, let alone college, without one.  Kids, male & female, grow up with all this technology, today, and the line between male & female (computerwise) is rapidly disappearing.  I'm reminded  of a now ancient song by James Brown, "This is a Man's Word."  Well, it ain't anymore.  Hmmmm.... :-\

Agreed, but I can name only ONE of our dozens of nieces & nephews and zero of our younger cousins who know anything about the code, nor the workings under the cover of their phones, laptops, chromebooks nor desktops.... not a single one of them wants to know anything about the OS... my sister's two boys were fascinated by coding early on, but the gawdawful jr high school teacher bored them to tears and they left coding behind. Their sister... well... ummm "none of my friends are in that class, I don't wanna"
spence
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Offline mac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2017, 01:43:52 pm »
Point well taken, spence.  I think it's more environment than gender, though.  Of course, I could be wrong.   It amazes me what even toddlers are able to do with computers today but, you're right, not many want to get under the hood.   As is a title from another ancient song, "The Times, They Are A Changing."   ;)

cheers
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835