Choose style:

Author Topic: Females using Peppermint ?  (Read 8522 times)

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Females using Peppermint ?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 09:58:14 am »
Ouch!  I think I just got beat up here.  I only live with one woman who loves Linux and who won't use Windows --so, really, what do I know?  I going with what LNXlady says here in this thread.  Although we have plenty of knights in this forum, it's good to know there are no damsels in distress!  :)

Sorry to call you out, Perknh. I really was amused, not offended. It's interesting to see what a bunch of men have to say about women when they think there are none listening.   ;D Anyway, you DID get at least one woman to post more so mission accomplished, LOL.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 05:52:25 pm »
It is easier on the eyes than an orange/purple combo! Let's keep it.

Worryingly it took far longer than it should before I "got" that ???
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 05:54:33 pm »
Sorry to call you out, Perknh.

Hi LNXlady,

My wife, mrs.perknh, would think you're off to a good start, but she's be even happier with you if you would get a little tougher on me the next time around.  I know what she'd say to you, however:  She'd say, "LNXlady, give me a high-five!"  ;)

LNXlady, it's nice to have you here!  :)

Thank you,

perknh

P.S.

It is easier on the eyes than an orange/purple combo! Let's keep it.

Worryingly it took far longer than it should before I "got" that ???

Why are Ubuntu colors orange and purple?

By Muntasim-Ul Haque from Quora

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Ubuntu-colors-orange-and-purple
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:44:30 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 07:47:13 pm »
She'd say, "LNXlady, give me a high-five!"  ;)
LOL, then give her a high five from me.  Explaining why is optional.  :D

And there's this:
We have introduced a palette which includes both a fresh, lively orange, and a rich, mature aubergine. The use of aubergine indicates commercial involvement, while orange is a signal of community engagement.
from https://design.ubuntu.com/brand/colour-palette
Nice colors but not together, I think.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 08:26:47 pm »
She'd say, "LNXlady, give me a high-five!"  ;)
LOL, then give her a high five from me.  Explaining why is optional.  :D

Will do.  The mischief I got myself in, here in Peppermint forum yesterday, delights mrs.perknh to no end!  ;D

And there's this:
We have introduced a palette which includes both a fresh, lively orange, and a rich, mature aubergine. The use of aubergine indicates commercial involvement, while orange is a signal of community engagement.
from https://design.ubuntu.com/brand/colour-palette
Nice colors but not together, I think.

Great resource.  Thank you, LNXlady.  I like the color aubergine very much.  Aubergine, for whatever reason, helps cheer me up --even helping me to fight the winter blues I experience here in New England every winter.  That color is one of the reasons why I like the look of Unity so much --though I don't like Unity's G-Editor tool, or even Ubuntu's forum, much at all.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 09:36:44 am »

Great resource.  Thank you, LNXlady.  I like the color aubergine very much.  Aubergine, for whatever reason, helps cheer me up --even helping me to fight the winter blues I experience here in New England every winter.  That color is one of the reasons why I like the look of Unity so much --though I don't like Unity's G-Editor tool, or even Ubuntu's forum, much at all.

It's a favorite of mine, too. I wear it a lot, but never with orange. ;) I have to give Ubuntu points for stepping out of the box, though. Very few OSs move away from blue or gray.

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 10:33:40 am »
My take one the subject is going to be a bit more statistics driven. I'm a Computer Science student, with 58 people in the class. There are 7 girls and 51 guys.
I run Peppermint, my friend runs Debian, another guy is a Fedora user. Other than that, it's 75% Windows & 20% OSX. Our lab has Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04 installed, and we actively use both.

I'm on my first year. The OS usage changes over time, with the proportion being 50-30-20, Windows - OSX - Linux among graduates. This data is based on my estimates from their presentations.

It's probably just the numbers disparity that causes no Linux users among 1st year women. That said, I find men to be more willing to experiment. I've convinced a friend running OSX to try Linux in a VM, and he's playing with it. Another friend running Win7 tried installing Linux in a VM on his own and was absolutely delighted when I told him that there exist other GUIs then Unity  ::) I showed him Peppermint, we'll see what comes of it. I tired doing the same with a friend running Win10 and she actively refused, even when it meant going to the lab to finish some exercises. But that's a very small sample

Computer literacy matters a lot more. Linux still has the "it's for command line professionals only" appeal, so with the sex disproportion of people with CS degrees(I think it's 80-20 male to female, and getting more even over time. My university runs 5 CS degrees, and others have even up to 30% women), we are naturally going to have less current female users, and see their number grow over time.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 11:13:25 am »
My take one the subject is going to be a bit more statistics driven. I'm a Computer Science student, with 58 people in the class. There are 7 girls and 51 guys.
I run Peppermint, my friend runs Debian, another guy is a Fedora user. Other than that, it's 75% Windows & 20% OSX. Our lab has Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04 installed, and we actively use both.

I'm on my first year. The OS usage changes over time, with the proportion being 50-30-20, Windows - OSX - Linux among graduates. This data is based on my estimates from their presentations.

It's probably just the numbers disparity that causes no Linux users among 1st year women. That said, I find men to be more willing to experiment. I've convinced a friend running OSX to try Linux in a VM, and he's playing with it. Another friend running Win7 tried installing Linux in a VM on his own and was absolutely delighted when I told him that there exist other GUIs then Unity  ::) I showed him Peppermint, we'll see what comes of it. I tired doing the same with a friend running Win10 and she actively refused, even when it meant going to the lab to finish some exercises. But that's a very small sample

Computer literacy matters a lot more. Linux still has the "it's for command line professionals only" appeal, so with the sex disproportion of people with CS degrees(I think it's 80-20 male to female, and getting more even over time. My university runs 5 CS degrees, and others have even up to 30% women), we are naturally going to have less current female users, and see their number grow over time.

I'm not surprised that out of 7 girls none of them would be running Linux but I am surprised that out of 51 guys in a computer science course, only 3 of the guys do. I wonder, if the lab was running Windows 8 (!) or  Windows 10 instead of 7, how many would be using either Ubuntu or OSx by the end of the course.

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2016, 06:36:45 pm »
Of the hundreds of females with whom I am related or in contact with via social media, only one has any idea what an operating system is. Much less what version of Windows they are using  :o... That one lady is a big wig linux developer mostly working on Amarok, she travels the world going to linux conferences. I guess all the women I know, save Valorie, are predominately just overly busy Moms or Grandmas with no time or interest in diving deeply into technology.  ::)
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2016, 08:45:12 pm »
Hello spence,

LNXlady singlehandedly --well, with the full support of mrs.perknh -- recently put me on the straight and narrow.  Yep, in the nicest possible way, LNXlady served me my head on a platter  --even putting a shinny apple in my mouth.  (Word on the street was that I never looked better!)  Let's not forget, as well as being as computer savvy as woman choose to be, these gals have a knack for decorating too.  ;)

perknh
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:40:43 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 05:51:59 am »
Quote from: spence
Of the hundreds of females with whom I am related or in contact with via social media.....

None understand my pain and the anguish of my inner child screaming to get out....

Please send donations to my psychiatric fund to mark@morefoolyou.com :'(
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:53:46 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2016, 10:43:14 am »
Of the hundreds of females with whom I am related or in contact with via social media, only one has any idea what an operating system is. Much less what version of Windows they are using  :o... That one lady is a big wig linux developer mostly working on Amarok, she travels the world going to linux conferences. I guess all the women I know, save Valorie, are predominately just overly busy Moms or Grandmas with no time or interest in diving deeply into technology.  ::)
PCNetSpec & perknh, you guys are so funny. ;D

Spence, you should help some of those hundreds  :o of females out, and tell them about Linux. Especially any of them unfortunate enough to be running Windows 8-10. Most of them probably just don't know know their options. I was lucky to have had a male relative show me Linux Mint years ago. I probably wouldn't have found out about it, otherwise.  I'm so glad he didn't think I was someone who would have no interest in it  just because I am female (and a busy mom).

Offline Skara Brae

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 05:23:03 am »
In my world, my man is the one who throws up his hands if something doesn't work right.
So, LNXlady, is it true that you are a tomboy?  :D (Just kidding, please do not feel offended...)

I have a female friend. She knows her way around in Windows (more than many women I know, which aren't  THAT many, but anyway), but she has no interest in installing and trying out Linux.

I think that computers-and-stuff is a bit of a technical thing, and "technical things" are more of a male thing? Women will be interested, but to dive into Linux, for example, is another matter.
Registered Linux User #495429

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 07:47:10 am »
Oh, nooo... Here we go again!  ::) :P :P

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 09:33:32 am »
Oh, nooo... Here we go again!  ::) :P :P

Yeah, Slim.Fatz...Peppermint's pool in on again.  The smart money is going on LNXlady for Round 1!  ;)