Choose style:

Author Topic: Females using Peppermint ?  (Read 8515 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Females using Peppermint ?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 02:17:58 pm »
Well said LNXlady,

My own comment regarding women not generally interested in technology was a generalisation based on my own experience and certainly not meant to suggest that all women were not interested in technology

Personally I'd love to see more women involved in our project, at present we don't have any on the development or admin side that I'm aware of which is a shame because I think we could benefit from a female perspective

Ubuntu has a much larger user base than we do so it stands to reason will have enough female users to make a women only forum viable unfortunately we don't have that luxury

In my world my missus uses Peppermint on her PC & laptop and other than moaning about not having MS Office has no problems doing the things she wants to do at all, but isn't in the slightest interested in learning how it works or understanding the concept of free/open source software,

to her a computer is a tool to do a job and nothing else

Graeme
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 04:44:10 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 02:23:34 pm »
Having been happily married for 36 years - I am keeping well out of this topic....     :D :D :D

ps Well said LNXlady
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 04:04:23 pm »
Is this really what you guys think? That women don't like tech and don't like to tinker and have to have things all set up for them or they won't use something?

Did I miss something ? .. maybe it's just me but that's not what I took from this topic :-\ .. in fact my first response(second posting) was to draw attention to a lady on my other forum that put me to shame as far as being "tech inquisitive" and speed of achieving "Linux competency". (and if you extrapolate that alongside the amount of males I know in Linux Vs the amount of females I personally know .. women are WAY ahead by my current count)

All I got was that nobody knows why there are "apparently" less women in this forum, possibly partly because we're male so cannot understand, and that social pressures (not stereotypes), whatever they may be, MAY play a part.

I certainly didn't mean to come across as though I blamed outdated (if they ever existed) and patronising (40s cartoon style) gender stereotypes .. and I don't think anyone else meant that either.

[EDIT]

Truth is the Peppermint team *is* (AFAIK) all male (not through choice, simply through circumstance) .. now I don't know if that makes Peppermint itself "male oriented" we certainly don't want it to be, hence my request for female feedback if we're overlooking something blatantly obvious that may appeal to women .. we may be lacking "perspective" or there may not be a gender "perspective" where Linux is concerned (?), it'd currently be hard for us to know ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 04:21:59 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 04:32:32 pm »
Is this really what you guys think? That women don't like tech and don't like to tinker and have to have things all set up for them or they won't use something?

Did I miss something ? .. maybe it's just me but that's not what I took from this topic :-\ .. in fact my first response(second posting) was to draw attention to a lady on my other forum that put me to shame as far as being "tech inquisitive" and speed of achieving "Linux competency". (and if you extrapolate that alongside the amount of males I know in Linux Vs the amount of females I personally know .. women are WAY ahead by my current count)

All I got was that nobody knows why there are "apparently" less women in this forum, possibly partly because we're male so cannot understand, and that social pressures (not stereotypes), whatever they may be, MAY play a part.

I certainly didn't mean to come across as though I blamed outdated (if they ever existed) and patronising (40s cartoon style) gender stereotypes .. and I don't think anyone else meant that either.

I'm just poking a little fun (hence the wink) but also you read it as a man and I read it as a woman so I noticed things like:
I think there's a few reasons such as I don't think in general females are as interested in technology as males
It seems to me that configuring and tweaking an distribution is more of guy thing.
It does appear to me that the guys like to tinker with this or that more than the gals do.

But don't worry, I did notice the other things, too. I especially liked AndyinMokum's
Maybe they've just figured it all out and don't need any help  :o.  Seriously, we've a few of the fairer sex as members.  They pop in once and a while  ;)

More Women use Ubuntu than Peppermint for the same reasons that more men do, because they know about it.  Peppermint is not my main distro but I like it a lot. It's more beautiful than Ubuntu and more sensible, too. The forums are friendly and inclusive. I do think some might pass it up because it is described as being a "lightweight" distro and because one that is cloud friendly. Some of us do like our bells and whistles and don't need lightweight. And the cloud thing makes it sound similar to ChromeOS, as if you can't just download anything you need. It isn't clear at a glance that you don't have to use cloud based stuff to use Peppermint. When I first tried Peppermint it was on a netbook so I was looking specifically for lightweight. I don't need lightweight on either of the computers I have it on now but I probably wouldn't have looked at it if I hadn't used it on the netbook before.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 04:47:47 pm »
LOL .. you're absolutely right, until you pointed those things out I'd TOTALLY missed how they can be interpreted more than just my (male ?) way .. it just goes to show how (unintentionally) gender blinkered we can sometimes be eh (?) :)

Yeah I agree about the "cloudiness" references to Peppermint, we've been making a concerted effort to break away from that recently .. if you read the main website now we've dropped the "cloud hybrid" slant (which was probably damaging) and are trying to push ourselves as more of a "minimal pre-installed where the user is the driver" distro .. the slideshow on the front page now goes to great lengths to explain that apps can be installed locally (mentions of Ice are kept to a minimum, and then explained as just an option).

Problem is it's hard to take back 5 years of stuff from the web and peoples perceptions based on old web pages we don't control .. heck places like DistroWatch (and others) still say we use Mozilla's Prism tech which we haven't since Peppermint ONE (Prism hasn't even been available for 5 years +) ::)

It's also hard to break perceptions that we somehow try to be like ChromeOS .. fact is Peppermint predates ChromeOS so really it would be more accurate to say "ChromeOS is just a LESS functional Peppermint"  but Google have the "mindshare" that comes with corporate size and advertising on their side.
(there are a TON of even "Linux press" articles calling us "Linux answer to ChromeOS" which overlook that fact)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:03:47 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 05:55:32 pm »
I like and agree with this:
ChromeOS is just a LESS functional Peppermint

Sounds like you are on the right track. I've noticed a lot of Peppermint videos on Youtube so maybe those will help change perceptions. This distro feels very put together, very cohesive and girls do like that. :)

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 06:04:18 pm »
Thinking about it and the only non-relative I've met IRL who was also a full-time Linux user was also female, a Fedora user in a local art group. So not only do girls like Linux, even us right-brained artistic types like it.

Offline MarkUK

• Hakuna Matata !
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Respin 7 64bit
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 06:53:28 pm »
Wow ! Respect ! Thanks for your words !

I actually never encountered a lady that would be more techy than a guy in a couple or in general. It was truly interesting and funny to read your post.

And by the way welcome among us haha.
CPU:  Quad core AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2.2 Ghz)
RAM installed: 8 GB
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

Offline MarkUK

• Hakuna Matata !
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Respin 7 64bit
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 06:57:34 pm »
I think I speak for everybody here when I say that ladies are more than welcome here and we certainly encourage 'em to post on topic if they feel they have something to say.

In fact I hope Peppermint's popularity will increase one day beyond belief. Peppermint has the potential in my opinion. I ditched Win 10 for Peppermint and ain't going back.
CPU:  Quad core AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2.2 Ghz)
RAM installed: 8 GB
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 07:06:35 pm »
I think I speak for everybody here when I say that ladies are more than welcome here and we certainly encourage 'em to post on topic if they feel they have something to say.

In fact I hope Peppermint's popularity will increase one day beyond belief. Peppermint has the potential in my opinion. I ditched Win 10 for Peppermint and ain't going back.

+1 from me  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 07:23:20 pm »
Wow ! Respect ! Thanks for your words !

I actually never encountered a lady that would be more techy than a guy in a couple or in general. It was truly interesting and funny to read your post.

And by the way welcome among us haha.

I had to go to a special work dinner with him recently and I heard him tell some of the other men, "oh, she doesn't let me touch her computers."  ;D

Thank you for the welcome. I ditched Windows for Linux years ago. There is no going back. Windows just keeps getting worse while Linux gets better and better.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 07:28:21 pm »
Heh, something tells me you'll get little argument here on that last point :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 07:40:29 pm »
BTW, being a 55 year old dinosaur and as a joke I nearly called the pink gtk/icon themes "Peppermix Girly Pink" as an in-joke at my son who asked for it since Ronaldo famously got rid of that particular barrier .. but thought better of it :)

In fact the versions on his laptop actually DO list them as that .. I couldn't help myself >:D

[EDIT]

He's 20 and at University by the way .. for Christ sake don't all think I was giving say a 10 year old insecurities :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:57:17 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 08:42:05 pm »
Ouch!  I think I just got beat up here.  I only live with one woman who loves Linux and who won't use Windows --so, really, what do I know?  I going with what LNXlady says here in this thread.  Although we have plenty of knights in this forum, it's good to know there are no damsels in distress!  :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:34 am »
BTW, being a 55 year old dinosaur and as a joke I nearly called the pink gtk/icon themes "Peppermix Girly Pink" as an in-joke at my son who asked for it since Ronaldo famously got rid of that particular barrier .. but thought better of it :)

In fact the versions on his laptop actually DO list them as that .. I couldn't help myself >:D

[EDIT]

He's 20 and at University by the way .. for Christ sake don't all think I was giving say a 10 year old insecurities :D

Being American, not a TV watcher, and not a sports fan, I had no idea who Ronaldo was so I had to google him. He wears pink well. :) A little girly pink never hurts. It is easier on the eyes than an orange/purple combo! Let's keep it.