Author Topic: A different Comman Line question  (Read 973 times)

Slim

A different Comman Line question
« on: December 11, 2016, 07:29:31 am »
Was lying in bed thinking about all the jargon and commands used in Linux and got to wondering if there is a site or game where a new user could play like a game learning the Linux system without screwing up his system.  I do have one computer I have set up to play with as soon as I find out what not to do to destroy the thing completely :D   Seems like it might be a viable thing
Not sure if this the correct way to do this but see no other way so I will mark this  [solved]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:18:53 am by Really Old Dude »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: A different Comman Line question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:06:35 am »
How about
https://linuxjourney.com/
or something that explains commands
http://explainshell.com/
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
A different Command Line < ANSWER >
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 08:07:23 am »
When I do beta testing on Peppermint, I use two bootable USB sticks.
  • One USB stick is a standard read-only installation ISO.
  • The other USB stick is a fully writable install with persistence.
You can do almost anything you wish with an ISO build, and it returns to its native state at restart.  ISO`s are great dev tools for experimenting, if you use a little common sense.

Of course, there are some caveats.  You don't want to run 'rm' commands against your SSD/HDD, for instance.  It WILL work.  But, generally speaking it's safe to play around in CLI, and add or delete things, et cetera. 

If you mess-up, while dancing around on the keyboard, and crash something, just reboot and start over again.

Anyway, that's what I do, and what I recommend - play around in a live installation disk session.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: A different Comman Line question
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 08:50:15 am »
Just be aware that adding tons of software in a "Live" session (without persistence) with only <= 2GB RAM might cause problems, remember anything you add/change has to be held in RAM in a "Live" session ;)

That said, as  VinDSL suggests, a reboot will clear all your changes .. so no harm done :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:56:24 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec