Choose style:

Author Topic: Anyone tried ferenOS ?  (Read 6603 times)

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
Re: Anyone tried ferenOS ?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 04:54:36 pm »
Anyway... tested some more on ferenOS...  8)

I can understand that Windows refugees like the OS. It has Wine and PlayOnLinux pre-installed and the "Themer" makes it easy to make it look like any Windows version (menu and aero included). It contains a lot of pre-installed programs although I don't understand why they install 3 media players... There are some theming issues but this seems to be the standard in many OS's lately.

I personally think they should change their default super WHITE theme, it costs them users even before they install!

Is this "competition" for Mint?
Yes, it can be if you ask me. People who like Mint will like this also!

Is this "competition" for Peppermint?
No, it misses the speed and clean look although new user could be tempted because of the ability to run Windows programs out of the box and the easiness of theming.

Removed it from VirtualBox...

Greets!  ;)

Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 05:11:49 pm »
I don't get why a number of Linux OSes like to put a bunch of redundant software like multiple media players on by default.  It's unnecessary.  Put one on and, if people don't like it, they can change.

And, as I already said, WINE and PlayOnLinux are "great" for people still hanging onto Windows software, but they are useless bloat for the rest of us.  Though, I use the word great loosely, as I think it would actually be healthier for people to find Linux alternatives.  After a brief adjustment period, it makes life so much easier.  I know, I used to use WINE for a number of things.  Also, some Linux alternatives may actually be better than that Windows software that someone is clinging to.  Plus, as we all know, using WINE and Windows apps could lead to an infected /home folder.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 05:50:29 pm »
It seems to be Mint with a few of the Zorin tools .. IIRC from the screenshots one of the utils even still says "Zorin" at the top

There's nothing wrong with this .. we use tools from elsewhere as others are starting to use Ice .. just saying.

Heck it may even be a tempting mix .. though I've never subscribed to the whole "making it look like Windows makes it easier for new users" thing.

That said, if their "niche" is pretty much all about themeing it's still not something that would be useful for Peppermint.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 09:49:55 pm »
My first Linux experience was Ubuntu with Gnome 2, which couldn't have looked much less like Windows.  Now, I can't speak for everyone, but I found it plenty comfortable and easy to navigate.  (I always liked Gnome 2)

Offline The feren OS Developer

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 12:41:46 pm »
Well, I've arrived to Peppermint, BTW, haven't tried it myself, but it looks really good, great job Peppermint team!
So, about the White, I plan on changing that white wallpaper in 2017.0 (the first release in 2017)

The codename is Lucid, because, well, it's kinda meant to be its own OS in the future even if it's still based on Mint while that happens, also it's based off of Mint because that seems like the only good Ubuntu Distro to slap Cinnamon on, and it's the only one that has successfully run Cinnamon in a VM as a base for feren OS...

It has no viruses, seriously, I could even scan the stuff I added on top of Mint if you want with any antivirus you like...

About the download, well, since you guys were talking about it, it's got a SourceForge page now that's official, and thanks guys for reminding me to get rid of those torrent and download links that are outdated now...

About the size, well, I guess, it's the applications and the icon sets that have made it big, darn it, if only you could compress SquashFS files further...

About the boot failure: What? It works fine over here... Welp, what do they say about Ubuntu 16.04 eh?

About the hellish download: Well, if Weebly wasn't all limiting over file sizes up to 10MB, it'd be directly downloadable from the website... O_O
Oh, and also, Weebly doesn't allow you to use any domain you already have... :/

About the alternative mirrors: They're NOT owned by me, so use with caution...
About the Torrent: Well, could you guide me on how to upload a torrent, no offense, but I've only started making this distribution since July 2015...

OS Size: Welp, maybe this is why:
ICON SETS
THEME SETS
APPLICATIONS
etc

VM Issue?: No offense, but could you elaborate what VM software you used? I tried it once in a VM and it worked fine, so have many others...

Obvious Shutdown Button: Other than the Application called 'Shutdown', there's a User Applet on the panel, it's just that Drawer (the arrow on the 'tray' part of the panel) is hiding it...

Dave?: Doesn't happen over here, I can name my user whatever I want, and it works, there again, it might be something to do with that emulation software... (Well, at least I gave AndyInMokum a good laugh with the Dave issue that you've had)

PS: It mentions on the Download page: "Tested to boot with Universal USB Installer on Windows or UNetBootin"...

BTW, to answer your question: Google listed this thing quite far down, so I had to dig to notice this post... (Predictable of Google... :/)

Offline The feren OS Developer

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 12:44:17 pm »
Lastly, about the Media Player, ANNOYINGLY, mintinstall (the package that makes the mouse and keyboard work properly in some cases) depends on their Media Player, meaning they force it down your guts when you try feren OS, I wish they didn't do that, but, until I figure out how to push a package to a PPA, I can't do anything about it...

PS: Anyone seen the concepts for its future design? https://onedrive.live.com?authkey=!AMSNU9QGxVP0Fbw&id=FDBB94FEC377D26B!168&cid=FDBB94FEC377D26B
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:46:10 pm by The feren OS Developer »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 06:04:59 pm »
Hi "The feren OS Developer" and welcome to the forum .. Great that you dropped by :)

Send me a PM and I'll be happy to help  with setting up a Feren PPA and uploading packages, and creating .torrent files then uploading them to LinuxTracker where you can then download them again and host wherever you want.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:09:54 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2016, 01:23:48 am »
It has no viruses, seriously, I could even scan the stuff I added on top of Mint if you want with any antivirus you like...
Hi The Feren OS Developer,

Welcome to the Forums. Always good to have OS developers drop by and discuss their project.

To clarify, no one said it did have a virus.  Just the potential for one. Exactly the same if users dl'd and used Wine in Peppermint.  I personally have never experienced it since using Linux on and off  from 2009 but the potential is there.  PS I won't say I have NEVER caught a virus on Windows but I have either been lucky or vigilant and it's definately only been a couple of times.

I am going to give the OS a whirl again but this time in Gnome-Boxes

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 02:08:40 am »
Hi
Quick update regarding Feren OS on Gnome-Boxes/ Comparing install sizes

Voyager / Sparky / Feren / Peppermint 7
Thats a huge difference in install size.
Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 04:19:31 am »
Hi The feren OS Developer and welcome to the Peppermint forum!  ;)

So, about the White, I plan on changing that white wallpaper in 2017.0 (the first release in 2017)
Probably a wise thing!

...but I've only started making this distribution since July 2015...
Congratulations for making such a nice distro in that short period!

VM Issue?: No offense, but could you elaborate what VM software you used? I tried it once in a VM and it worked fine, so have many others...
As you can see from my previous posts (with screenshots) I had zero problems on VirtualBox, even without the Guest Additions I was able run it in full screen mode!

Lastly, about the Media Player, ANNOYINGLY, mintinstall...
Now I get it, things are indeed not always as we like them to be...

Greets!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!