Choose style:

Author Topic: Moving a VirtualBox setup to metal  (Read 727 times)

Offline unclebaldie

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 64-bit
Moving a VirtualBox setup to metal
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:32:51 pm »
Hi all,

Not quite sure if this belongs in this forum, but here goes:

I d/l PM7 Respin and set it up in a Virtualbox. Very happy with it indeed !
Many thanks to all the team for a brilliant distro.
So now I would like to have it installed on a spare partition on my HDD. Is there any way to install that VB setup on the HD partition. I would really like not to have to go through all the d/ls, tweaking, panel-setup, and configuring all over again. Or am I missing something glaringly obvious ? Is it possible to create an ISO from the VB setup ?

As an extra bonus question, I appreciate that I cannot use the mouse wheel to switch workspaces. But I have tried everything I can think of to get the mouse to switch workspaces when moved to the screen edge. I am sure I had this working before in PM7 (original), but darned if I can remember how I did it ?

Many thanks,

Phil

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Moving a VirtualBox setup to metal
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 01:34:13 am »
Hi unclebaldie

I honestly don't think there's any way you can copy you VM installation over to bare metal and even if there was it would likely be more work than reinstalling from scratch, but don't take my word for it hopefully some of the smarter guys here will chip in with their opinions

As an extra bonus question, I appreciate that I cannot use the mouse wheel to switch workspaces. But I have tried everything I can think of to get the mouse to switch workspaces when moved to the screen edge. I am sure I had this working before in PM7 (original), but darned if I can remember how I did it ?

To switch workspaces with the mouse scroller hover the cursor over you workspaces icon on your panel then scroll the mouse

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:45:48 am »
Hi unclebaldie,  As for the extra bonus question. Graeme's method is one of the ways.  You can also do it by navigating to: menu > Preferences > Peppermint Control Center.  Under the Window Manager tab scroll down to: Wrap workspaces when reaching the screen edge .  Check/tick the: With the mouse pointer box.   Moving your mouse pointer to the edge of screen, will now switch to the next virtual desktop.  That'll do it  ;).  For future reference, can you please remember to limit one question per topic - many thanks  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 08:55:03 am »
There's a tutorial here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/32499/migrate-from-a-virtual-machine-vm-to-a-physical-system
but I can't vouch for how well it works because I've never tried it myself.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline unclebaldie

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 64-bit
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:28:34 pm »
Thanks all,

@emegra  Yes, I decided that it was just easier to reinstall to the spare partition, after all. Thanks to PCNetSpec for the link, I took a look at it and chickened out !

Re: the mouse, I had no trouble switching when over the pager on the panel, it was switching via the screen edge that wouldn't work.
After I installed to the HD, the switching now works, so it would seem as though this is a problem with VirtualBox. I did have the correct GuestAdditions installed, as well.

@AndyInMokum  - erm, very sorry, guvnor  :-[. Won't do it again, consider my wrists smacked.....

Thanks again,

Phil

Update:
Curiouser and curiouser,

On Manjaro 16.10.2 64-bit Host,
    Peppermint 7 Respin 64-bit Guest - no screen edge switching
    Sabayon 16.11 64-bit Guest - no screen edge switching

On LinuxLite 3.2 64-bit Host,
    Linux Mint 18 64-bit Guest - no screen edge switching
    Manjaro 16.10.2 64-bit Guest - YES, screen edge switching, but very sensitive.

Methinks a bit of probing is called for....

10-4, over and out....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:12:19 pm by unclebaldie »