Choose style:

Author Topic: Some Wise Words From PCNetSpec Concerning Linux  (Read 4527 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Some Wise Words From PCNetSpec Concerning Linux
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 01:24:13 pm »
eh, I'm beginning to wonder if perknh still thinks "Some Wise Words From PCNetSpec Concerning Linux" is a good title for this topic
-- PCNetSpec

Actually, I'm delighted with this thread, and that this discussion has turned to that of deception.

Here's how I imagine Alad's household to be:  it's in London, or near London, conservative, and most definitely patriarchal.  Alad may be a software engineer, and may have emigrated to England from an less affluent third world country.  During his youth, Alad's first exposure to computers was with an old PC that ran some early Linux OS.

Now love in Alad's household is expressed through the eyes, through smiles and through laughter -- not necessarily words. Now Alad's wife is probably younger than Alad, and her first experience with computers was with Windows XP, then Vista, and then Windows 7.  But Alad has never given up his love for Linux, and soon discovers, after marriage, that his wife cares only that the computer does what she wants, and when she wants it to -- nothing more.  "Why use Linux?", she wonders.  "Windows seems to work just fine." (Thanks to Alad, I might add!)

But, Alad, just loves to watch the development of Linux.  He's used it since he was a teenager.  He may still use it at work, and he knows darn well it's more secure than Windows.  So what does he do?  He puts Linux on the home computer, but he makes sure it has all the bells and whistles needed to keep his wife happy.  Partly for fun he says, "I just put another Windows OS on the computer."  And he also says this partly because he doesn't want to hear about it!  But his wife, though not sophisticated with computers, knows darn well she's not using Windows any longer. 

Alad makes sure the wallpaper is pretty, and that he's synced Chrome to cloud.  Now he can change OSes at whim without ever having to worry about his wife's settings.  As he says, he keeps that big Chrome button handy.  Everyone in the family, including his better half, knows they are using Linux, but nobody says a thing.  Calling Linux "Windows" has become an inside family joke -- and the kids love it.

As for deception, the company that worries me the most with Linux is Google.  Android, behind the scenes, is grabbing ever bit of data than can on us.  When I spoke to some teenage girls yesterday at our nearby Walmart Supercenter, I asked them if they thought Chromebooks were "happening."  They all agreed that they were.  One girl already owned an HP Chromebook.  When I told them I was interested in Linux, they went silent on me.  I could see they had no idea the connection between Chromebooks and Linux.  I really don't believe these girls had even heard of Linux before I mentioned it yesterday.

Even a mother, to at least one of these girls, was listening to the conversation too.  I'm not sure how aware she was of Linux herself, but most likely not very much.

Oh, that tiny little HP Chromebook is going for $349.  They sure are not giving them away.  But, worse than this, if Chromebooks are anything like Android, they will be gathering as much of our personal data as possible, and even though we are mandated to agree to a user agreement before we can run the device, few of us realize, including myself, what the implications of agreeing to that user agreement actually are, or will be, for us.

This, to me, is a form of deception within the world of Linux after Linux becomes proprietized.  I can't call this Linux' fault per se, but this form of deception is now piggybacking off of Linux, and this bothers me.  Even here at Peppermint forum I wonder about the tracking practices of Google Analytics, Double Click, and Google Adsense.  I want to see ads in Peppermint to help offset its expenses.  I just don't want to be tracked.  I even wonder about Xapian's logging practices -- probably needlessly.

No, PCNetSpec, this is a great conversation.  I'm going to stand firm here.  Some Wise Words From PCNetSpec Concerning Linux is the right name for this topic.  I say that when a self-confessed aging hippy/biker plus geek speaks, one would be wise to listen.  That's a personal background that's hard to beat.

By the way this "Mad Penguin" friend of yours sounds very prescient and wise  -- and cool too.  If he is still on a roll, this may be the time to ask him for the right 6 numbers.  Hey, it can't hurt to ask!  ;)

I'm enjoying this conversation very much, and I hope it continues.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 02:58:30 pm »
Trust me, the 6 number thing crossed my mind too .. but he won't prophesize to order  :(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:03:55 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 04:12:25 pm »
PCNetSpec, I've seen this stuff before.  We have a fellow here in my home town, he's won big time twice on the lottery.
But that doesn't mean you'd ever know it.  Believe it or not, this guy uses duct tape in order to keep his wallet together.  Guys like this stay under the radar.

Your friend, a man this prescient,  knows the right numbers;  you just got to press him on it!   ;D

Offline jocklad

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 05:29:36 pm »

Well,

Have done five installations of Peppermint 5 for friends in last two weeks.

All these people have very little technical computer knowledge.

Every one of them has told me the same............The computer runs much better and faster

on Peppermint than it ever did on Windows.

Jocklad  :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »

Well,

Have done five installations of Peppermint 5 for friends in last two weeks.

All these people have very little technical computer knowledge.

Every one of them has told me the same............The computer runs much better and faster

on Peppermint than it ever did on Windows.

Jocklad  :)

Way to go jocklad, keep spreading the word  ;)!!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 05:41:20 pm »
Great to hear :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 05:42:37 pm »
I think PCNetSpec should have his own thread where he can air out his daily wisdom to all of us on the Peppermint forums....
We could call the thread ( PCNetSpec - The Wise Guy! )   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36:25 pm »
Which now gets us back to PCNetSpec's wise words: 
Linux is Linux .. learn with whichever distro and whichever method suits YOU, and don't listen to everything Slackware fans (or any other fans) say, no matter how often and loudly. ;)

Whether or not jocklad put Peppermint on 2,3, 4 or 5 people's computers is not known from his post.  But PCNetSpec's "Linux is Linux" thesis has been reinforced here.  How can we call these friends of jocklad Windows-only computer users any longer?  We can't!  They are now using Linux!  Peppermint is as much Linux as the next Linux distribution.  It's not more Linux, or less Linux -- it's Linux!

As for rjm65's idea of listening, in one form or another, to PCNetSpec's thoughts on Linux.  I'm all for it.  Those old biker's arms have pulled me out of more ditches that I've fallen into while finding my way around Peppermint than I can remember.  And I bet hundreds, if not thousands, of people could attest to same experience here.  I think PCNetSpec could easily write a blog of his own on Linux -- its philosophy and approach with some how tos thrown in.  Or we could have a show, such as the shows on YouTube, where here rides up on a bike, keeps a straight face to look a little scary, and then pulls a laptop computer out a backpack, and then starts the show about Linux.  Although there are a lot of good shows about Linux on YouTube, there is no one like PCNetSpec out there.  He would add a welcomed and different perspective on the subject of Linux.

Now, rjm65, how we ended up with wise man and wise guy in the English language, I don't really know.  But you've got to careful when using that term.  You don't want to tick off a real wiseguy, I assure you!   ;)