Choose style:

Author Topic: Here’s a Chrome Extension That Will Flag Fake-News Sites for You  (Read 5915 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Here’s a Chrome Extension That Will Flag Fake-News Sites for You
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 11:44:01 am »
Off the top of my head, I'd say that fake news is false information, widely disseminated, which is intended to mislead its target audience, or maybe even mislead the society at large.

Good point, on the definition of news as being the dissemination of information, but true n' false is just a matter of perspective.

There is no unique definition for any kind of truth.  Anyone can judge a thing for him/herself as a truth.  I can state this as FACT, based on my experience in Federal courtrooms.  I'll leave the truth of this statement to the determination to you, the viewer.

Anyway, this 'Fake-News' bullshiz is simply an attempt to silence opposing views and opinions IMO, but it isn't going to go down without a fight.

In the sports arena, when emotions get high, and the rules are temporarily thrown out the window, everything quickly turns into a fistfight.  That's why I like to watch boxing.  It's the purist form of sport, once again, IMO.  True or false ?

See how it works ?   :)

In the streets of His Majesties former rebel colony, this movement to silence the 'right' is going to turn into bloody, armed rebellion, if they're pushed too far.

This whole country is going to turn into a 'Chicago' if we don't tread lightly ...

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 01:04:24 pm »
I think this is a good plugin.  Let people get their fake news the old fashioned way; supermarket tabloids and "news" shows like TMZ.  That's the way it was meant to be dispensed.  :P

Seriously, here's the issue with the Internet:  Anybody can write and "publish" an article about anything, without any kind of journalistic training, without researching it, without any credibility of any kind.  Hell, a paranoid schizophrenic can post "articles" on the Internet and make them sound legit.  The big problem is the people who believe anything that they read, no matter the source.  Then they re-post the "news" and twenty of their "friends" read it and some of them re-post it, link to it, etc.  No browser plugin in ths world is going to fix that problem.  Only years of therapy, or possibly blocking Internet access for people too stupid to use it properly will help.

Though, here's what I want to know: How does it determine which news is fake? (no, I didn't read the article) As VinDSL said, what's "fake" to one person isn't to another, so I sure hope it doesn't rely on people reporting sites as fakes.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 03:33:38 pm »
Seriously, here's the issue with the Internet:  Anybody can write and "publish" an article about anything, without any kind of journalistic training, without researching it, without any credibility of any kind.

Agreed!   And that's exactly what the creation of these extensions is trying to prevent --at least for now.  ;)

My concern over these kinds of extensions comes with their further development.  When will they begin to factor out bias?  Whose opinions will be deemed acceptable in the future?  When will one person's opinion be considered true, and the another's false --therefore flagged as fake-news and never getting the chance to be brought into the light of day for closer examination?  That's my concern with these kinds of extensions --the direction of their future development. 

Anyway, time will tell.  In the meantime, more and more of these extensions are being developed every day.  There's a market for them now, that's for sure.   

Thanks to this conversation our ours, I'm seriously considering sending The Guardian a few dollars on a regular basis.  Albeit biased politically, I still trust The Guardian to do some fact checking of its own before it publishes its articles.  It becomes clearer and clearer to me every day that our society needs good journalism now more than ever.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 02:48:48 pm »
There's a saying something to the effect of  "those who control the culture control the politics"  Neil is a purveyor of many left wing strawmen, which I find sad given his otherwise stellar intellect. He'd have the rest of the world believe everyone he disagrees with is a flat earther... when in reality he's a victim of living inside the filter-bubble of the largely left leaning US media's creation...
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 06:17:51 pm »
Here's a clever argument:  Let's blame the ratcheting up of the fake news Americans are viewing online on the Russians.  This argument is so convenient because it negates, at one fell swoop, all of the responsibility for the problems we Americans have created for ourselves, and places the causes of these problems, instead, smack on the backs of the Russians.  And, I'm old enough to remember when, before this fake news phenomenon of today, that so many of our problems decades ago were actually of Fidel's making!  ::)

Did you ever have a bad hair day in the 80s?  Looking back at it, can't you now see it had nothing to do with you at all?  Clearly, Fidel was behind it!  ;D

Reports: Russian operation boosted 'fake news' phenomenon

by Doug Stanglin , USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11/25/reports-russian-operation-boosted-fake-news-phenomenon/94424206/

I from Missouri with this news story.  This argument just isn't working for me.  And I'm not saying, that Russian government, like many other strong and powerful governments, isn't very hurtful at times.  I'm not saying that at all.  But, blaming the American election results on the Russians because of fake-news sites --I'm just not buying it.

But, admittedly, I could be wrong all of this.  Here's the "Russians are behind much it all" argument in more detail for the curious.

@spence

Neil deGrasse Tyson --what a brilliant fellow he is!  ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 06:49:56 pm »
Is "fake news" really discussion worthy ?
(unless of course you're clutching at political straws)

News manipulation and outright lies masquerading as news have been around in one form or another since "news" began, you'd have to be an idiot to unquestioningly soak up everything you read online (or anywhere else for that matter) or to rely on someone else's news filter.

Hell, "fake news" has only become news because it fits an agenda ::)
(so isn't "fake news" fake news ?)

I have faith that most people are "generally" pretty good at self-filtering the rubbish, and have become cynical to the extent that they take little on face value these days.
(then again, maybe my sources could be suspect ???)

This (from perknh's latest link) raised an eyebrow and the corners of my mouth:-

They want to essentially erode faith in the U.S. government....

As if our western governments require help with this.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:29:37 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint OS Website Admin
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 07:36:59 pm »
All news is at the very least slanted and bias.

I don't need a Chrome extension to tell me if something is fake because i'll cross reference it along reputable news sources.

Check the source, if it's from zergnet.com or some left wing or right wing site it might as well be written by this guy.

Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 07:41:01 pm »
In the face of aliens I think a flat earth policy is a great idea .. there's at least a 50% chance they'll land on the wrong side and fall straight back off again.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 08:03:59 pm »
Is "fake news" really discussion worthy ?

Probably not.  It was the extension for "fake news" that initially alarmed me.  It still does, in fact.  But I can see extensions for "fake news" being potentially more hurtful to readers than the "fake news" itself.  And, I am saying this after witnessing people who have been clearly manipulated by "fake news" --meaning falsified election result numbers, or the Flat Earth Theory.  I've seen both of these in play here in New Hampshire (and Southern Maine).

News manipulation and outright lies masquerading as news have been around in one form or another since "news" began, you'd have to be an idiot to unquestioningly soak up everything you read online (or anywhere else for that matter) or to rely on someone else's news filter...I have faith that most people are "generally" pretty good at self-filtering the rubbish, and have become cynical to the extent that they take little on face value these days.

&

I don't need a Chrome extension to tell me if something is fake because i'll cross reference it along reputable news sources.

Exactly.  ;)

They want to essentially erode faith in the U.S. government....As if our western governments require help with this.

Wasn't that a ludicrous claim?  ::)

In the face of aliens I think a flat earth policy is a great idea .. there's at least a 50% chance they'll land on the wrong side and fall straight back off again.

:))

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 08:31:46 pm »
Personally I rate them alongside X-Ray apps for smartphones .. anyone willing to surrender better judgement, personal enquiry, and common sense to a third party 'app' deserves the horse sh*t they'll be fed.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:35:15 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 03:54:41 am »
I have faith that most people are "generally" pretty good at self-filtering the rubbish, and have become cynical to the extent that they take little on face value these days
Hi PCNetSpec,

I formerly shared this faith ... but (and in all due respect for your point of view) the older I get, the more I realize that this view is naively optimistic. In fact, this lack of cynicism combined with an inability to critically assess reported "facts" and "data" are what result in phenomena like "creation science", religious fanaticism, "flat earth" lunacy, etc. etc. ad nauseam.

I personally view the deterioration of critical thinking skills as the fundamental problem -- and this has many sources that I do not wish to get into here because that would open a Pandora's box of never ending messages.

Personally I rate them alongside X-Ray apps for smartphones .. anyone willing to surrender better judgement, personal enquiry, and common sense to a third party 'app' deserves the horse sh*t they'll be fed.
Eggs-actly, my mate!!  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 05:52:49 am »
I personally view the deterioration of critical thinking skills as the fundamental problem -- and this has many sources that I do not wish to get into here because that would open a Pandora's box of never ending messages.
+1

And we're all "influenced" by something/someone... whether we know it or not...
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 10:23:15 am »
...this lack of cynicism combined with an inability to critically assess reported "facts" and "data" are what result in phenomena like "creation science", religious fanaticism, "flat earth" lunacy, etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Please don't tell me that this general dumbing down of the people is happening in Europe too.  I know we have a educational crisis here in the States, but please don't tell me the Europeans are experiencing this crisis also.  I can't imagine Europeans falling prey to this kind of backwards intellectual nuttiness.  However, if this "deterioration of critical thinking skills" is occurring in Europe too....Well, like I said, I can't imagine it.  Please tell me this isn't so. Even the idea of this saddens me.  :'(

Add another +1 for Slim.Fatz here.  ;)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 11:22:14 am »
Hi perknh,

Yes, I am very sorry to say that a "general dumbing down of the people is happening in Europe too."  :(

Here in Germany we are also seeing an "educational crisis" that has been going on for at least the last ten to fifteen years. Teacher education is poorer, loss of respect for teaching in general is on the increase, lack of support for teachers (even by their own administration) is becoming more and more the norm. The students are always believed ... and they get away with so much that would have cost me painfully had I done the same when I was a teen.

But I'm not telling you anything new, so I will stop here before I go really off on a rant that no one with an ounce of intelligence really needs to read anyway.  >:(

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2016, 12:38:21 pm »
I'm not convinced there's a general dumbing down (US or Europe), just that the idiots in society (who have always existed but were hidden) now have a platform in the interweb, so their drivel has become more visible as they naturally gravitate towards each other (Facebook anyone ?).

I don't think society as a whole has gotten dumber, just that the dumb now attract significant investment and advertisement.

Sure "acceptable behaviour" standards have (from my perspective) deteriorated, but that's our own fault and a whole other topic.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:54:05 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec