Choose style:

Author Topic: Drives Died.....So just making sure  (Read 1370 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
Drives Died.....So just making sure
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:16:32 am »
A few of my mechanical drives failed recently..... they did well...... some were more than 10 years, ;)
Now I am in a position to upgrade some parts  :D
So, I been through the forum......just wanting to make sure I get this straight,
Seems most of you guys suggest:
  • SSD for OS 
  • Mechanical for data
is that still the consensus

With P9 on the way its abit exciting LOL

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Drives Died.....So just making sure
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:58:25 am »
Yeah I'd definitely go with an SSD for the OS.

Storage .. well it depends on your requirements and budget.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:32 am »
The last SSD I bought was less than $30 USD. 60gb, which is plenty for general computing. 12 sec. boot via Peppermint 8, on a 14 year old 32 bit Dell. What can go wrong?  :)

Sent from my Moto E⁴ via Tapatalk

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:23:46 pm »
A few of my mechanical drives failed recently..... they did well...... some were more than 10 years, ;)
Now I am in a position to upgrade some parts  :D
So, I been through the forum......just wanting to make sure I get this straight,
Seems most of you guys suggest:
  • SSD for OS 
  • Mechanical for data
is that still the consensus

With P9 on the way its abit exciting LOL

You forgot one item on your list: Mechanical for data & SWAP space.  It does mean creating your partitions manually.  I do this with GParted prior to starting the installation process.  I give the /root partition on the SSD about 12GB.  I also use a /home partition, not for upgrading purposes.  It's for ease of maintenance.  I give that around 10GB.  These are probably a little generous.  A little too large is better than being a little too small :)).

On the HDD, I reserve at the end of the drive a SWAP space that's x2 the RAM for anything up to 8GB.  For anything larger than 8GB, x1 the RAM.  The rest I format to ext4 and use for /DATA.  If you're sharing /DATA with Windows on a dual boot system, use NTFS instead of ext4  ;)

I'm setting up a dual disk on an HP Elitebook 8470p.  I've a 240GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD, (this is a quick SSD) and when it arrives a 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD.  I'm only using this hybrid hard drive because I got a great deal on it  :).  A 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD is more than capable for the /DATA partition and SWAP area.

Be warned, once you use an SSD as your primary drive.  You'll never use an HDD for anything other than /DATA storage and SWAP space.  The difference is phenomenal  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:26:44 pm »
Why would you want swap on an HDD ?

As long as you have 2GB plus of RAM, it seems to me that on the rare occasion you're going to swap, the fastest drive possible would be the better choice.

Personally I'd have swap on the SSD, but lower swappiness.

The only reason I'd put swap on an HDD would be to lengthen the lifespan of the SSD, but considering they now live as long as mechanical drives (specially the bigger ones, and if you leave unpartitioned space for overprovisioning) there's really no need to worry any more. Maybe if I had minimal RAM (or possibly a tiny SSD), but then I'd still want the speed benefit of swapping to an SSD.

Swapping to an HDD is horrible, it drags the system performance to a crawl, pretty much negating the point of having an SSD in the first place.

Personally I'd have EVERYTHING on an SSD, except maybe storage, and even then it depends what I'm storing, how often I'm liable to want it, and how quick I want it to load when I do .. if it's not often, and speed doesn't matter, it goes on the NAS, my machines now only have SSD's

Just my two tuppence ;)

Here's my way of looking at it - Like an HDD, an SSD is gonna fail when it fails, and you're gonna have ZERO idea whether having been kinder to it would have lengthened its life or not .. so you may as well use the benefits in a way you CAN see ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:55:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 03:16:15 pm »
Why would you want swap on an HDD ?

As long as you have 2GB plus of RAM, it seems to me that on the rare occasion you're going to swap, the fastest drive possible would be the better choice.

I prefer to keep the SWAP space on the larger drive.  It's a percentage game.  Plus having it on the the HDD gives me the option to enable and use hibernation.  Even on a newer, larger SSD, the hibernation process is a bit rough on SSDs; especially if it's a routine thing .  Yeah, I agree SWAP on a HDD is as slow as molasses on a cold day.  For me the SWAP space is so rarely used, I'll live with the minute or so of waiting when SWAP is used  ;).

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 04:19:46 pm »
I'm probably a rare exception here but in many years of computing (more than 30) I have yet to see my swap being used (and only recently have I been buying computers with 4 GB of RAM)!  :o

I think that with my machines with 4 GB RAM (and any purchases with 4 GB or more) I will skip having a swap partition ... but that is perhaps only because of the way I use my machines and software.  ::)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »
I'm probably a rare exception here but in many years of computing (more than 30) I have yet to see my swap being used (and only recently have I been buying computers with 4 GB of RAM)!  :o

I think that with my machines with 4 GB RAM (and any purchases with 4 GB or more) I will skip having a swap partition ... but that is perhaps only because of the way I use my machines and software.  ::)

Regards,

-- Slim

Are you still using the i3 tiled window manager?  If you are, you'll probably never use all that 4GB of RAM  ;D.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 07:21:36 pm »

I generally make small swap partitions.

Example (recent wash, rinse and restyle):

Just a waste of space, I suppose, but I got it in my head that some programs will search for it - think 'depends' - sooo...

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:11:31 am »
Hi VinDSL,

That some programs might expect a swap partition to be present never occurred to me ... I've never heard of that but you never know.  ???

And yes, AndyInMokum, I still use i3 and Fluxbox as well as our standard "as installed" WM alternately. But I never have more than maybe 6 browser tabs open (and then almost never more than one of them with a video (usually from youtube). Maybe a spread sheet or Gimp in another window.  ;)

Things start up so fast with modern computers that I barely notice the wait.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 06:43:29 am »
Hi VinDSL,

That some programs might expect a swap partition to be present never occurred to me ... I've never heard of that but you never know.  ???

There's always been a lot of conjecture about this, and I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

EXAMPLE (picked at random): https://goo.gl/wMNU8j

I judge that making a small swap partition constrains the impact, both positive and negative  ;)

Offline grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 08:38:27 am »
Yeah I'd definitely go with an SSD for the OS.

Storage .. well it depends on your requirements and budget.
Thanks!
As far as Storage... it's not a very big budget and I am not running a data center LOL  ;) , but I  want some growth space, so I am thinking a couple of  HDD 500GB.

Online spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 01:47:59 pm »
Thanks for posting this query @Grafiksinc ... clears up my thought processes a bit as i partition this 500GB mechanical disk on my Mom's cast off lappie...  I'd remembered that I needed my storage to be NTFS so the Win10 partition could share the stored data, but the linux partitions resisted letting me label that as /home... guess I'll just label it as /data and be done with it... also happy that I can elect to either delete the swap partition or shrink it down from its 2 1/2 x ram size which I'd always read about previously ... 

;)
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.