Choose style:

Author Topic: Why I Love PeppermintOS 7  (Read 775 times)

Offline Ichy

• nOOb
  • Another Journey
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 64-bit
Why I Love PeppermintOS 7
« on: November 14, 2016, 01:39:32 am »
Yep. Thought I'd share why:

→ It's fun!

→ It's the most stable Linux OS I've ever used.

→ My first experience of LXDE, and I love it.

→ My first experience of Nemo and I love it too.

→ Finally, black theming that works and looks delicious. To be fair though, Mint 18 looks sweet, IMO. (still prefer POS7)

→ It's really, really fast. So fast I sometimes feel like I'm using my SSD.

→ I get to not use Windows. I like Windows, generally speaking, I just don't like the company behind it.

→ I'm learning a skill or two: effectively using a CLI (on a whole new level than MS-DOS) and scripting.

→ Did I mention it's fun? Granted, it's also easy to get sucked in, ... I've definitely lost sleep obsessing over Linux commands and stuff.

→ Due to PeppermintOS 7's stability, I've been able to finally, truly enjoy and explore Linux.

→ More RAM for virtual machines.

That's all I can think of right now. How about you?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:41:12 am by Ichy »

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Why I Love PeppermintOS 7
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 08:36:02 am »
Hi ichy

Thank you for your comments, it's nice to hear from people who enjoy using Peppermint as much as we do

Don't lose too much sleep over all these sexy Linux commands :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:58:24 am »
Nice list Ichy :)

I'd like to add - the enthusiastic sense of "community" that you just don't get with Windows.

I'd also like to expand on your CLI comments - The command line is something that's taken a back seat in Windows in fact it's seen as a failure of the GUI if it needs to be used, I STRONGLY disagree with that view, if the CLI gets something done better/faster surely it's the correct tool. There are now things in Windows that it's VERY difficult to fix if the GUI goes south, whereas Linux ALWAYS has the CLI as a fallback because there's nothing that can't be done with it.

I also like the "everything is a file" concept.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_is_a_file
Which not only means EVERTHING (processes / file systems / partitions / etc.) is accessible at an "address" that can be easily written into scripts for example, but can also have permissions set .. eg. think of a running process, if it's represented as a file you can easily set permissions on that file and therefore the process itself.

and "Unix Philosophy" of "simple, short, clear, modular, and extensible code that can be easily maintained and repurposed" which gives us lots of small tools/utilties that can easily be chained together via the CLI to achieve custom results, Ideal for automation scripting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

In short - Not only does its being "open source" allow you to legally change the source code if you know how, but the system was designed from the ground up to be human accessible/tweakable/tunable/scriptable even if you don't go as deep as modifying code.

None of the things I've added are necessarily "Peppermint specific", more Linux in general but I thought I'd chuck em in anyway.

If you want one that's "Peppermint specific" .. YOU GUYS, so far we seem to have attracted the "right stuff" to our user community, we're UBER proud of that, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Peppermint is nothing without our community and so far we've been blessed with a great one :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:18:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cost

• Supersonic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 02:55:20 pm »

That's all I can think of right now. How about you?

well said: fast, superstable, low memory usage. All reasons why I'm afraid to move to other distros :D I try other distros on virtual machine just because some of them look more polished, though P7 is cool in its minimal elegance.

I'm still a Linux newbie but that's how I found out about P7 and stick to it. My first distro was Lubuntu, got rid of it after few hours: for my laptop it was absolutely broken crap, though on Virtual Box it was fully working. So I looked on youtube for equally lightweight alternatives, and I found stunning how P7 looks.

Last but not least: PCNetSpec quality support and the Peppermint community. Wish only more people would start discussions on the forum where to learn from.  8)

Offline Ichy

• nOOb
  • Another Journey
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 64-bit
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 03:32:09 pm »
I like the replies. B)

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

echo
echo "This bash script will display the percentage of a given number."
read -p "What is the scale? " scale
read -p "What is the larger number? " larger
read -p "What is the smaller number? " smaller
echo "scale=$scale;$larger/$smaller" | bc
echo
echo "End."
echo

This is another reason I love Linux. I've been getting into scripting lately, as you can just do so much with it, things I'd love to add. So, I wanted a quick and easy way to figure out the percentage of something. I went with what I could find online, which is scale= and piping into bc. I figured I'd add some variables and read prompts. It works. B) Once I've set up an alias or something, it'll be even easier to run! Saves remembering a longer command (I'll get around to that some day, but for now I wanted something quick and accessible) and saves messing with the calculator or using some echo $(( math question )) stuff on the CLI.

So in short: you can script all sorts of awesome stuff and run it like a program.

Speaking of low memory usage, my installation uses only 295MB of RAM. lol That's with just f.lux and two Terminal windows open. (default DE, panel, and file manager) I have 10GB of RAM, so I don't think I'll be running out of RAM any time soon. xD I often sudo service lightdm stop when in tty1 because I love the terminal and don't want to be distracted by the GUI. Plus it discourages using the mouse and stuff. So, when I do that it's 110MB. xD I'm sure I could get that even lower by disabling f.lux, which isn't used outside of x.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:44:16 pm by Ichy »

Offline mf

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): six
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 11:28:39 am »
I just upgraded to a bigger hard drive, so I decided to "upgrade" from Peppermint 6 at the same time.  No particular thing stands out, but I love that almost everything is just a bit better than before.  I also note the candy now has 6 stripes instead of 5 - will we see a 7 stripe candy in Pep8?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 01:01:09 pm »
LOL .. no sorry, we've limited stock of stripes so it's 6 from here on out I'm afraid ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec